View Poll Results: What do you think the pricing on the Palm Topaz will be?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $300

13 12.75%
  • < $400

31 30.39%
  • < $500

29 28.43%
  • >= $500

29 28.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Obviously we all want Palm/Hp to put out a quality product. I just happen to believe that with carrier subsidy, you can price it lower than the iPad.
    The rub is that the only carrier with an equivalent data plan to iPad - AT&T - usually doesn't sell slates with a subsidy (you can't buy a Tab or iPad subsidized from them). The ones that do charge a lot more for data each month and make you sign a contract.

I think a great idea that they used for clearing out old Palm inventory was to include a $50 gift card. They should do that with each phone/tablet as well. $50 toward any apps, movies/music/TV from their content store (rumored to be Amazon Unbox/Music), accessories, whatever that you want to buy from HP or their content partners. First 500,000 of each model includes this. That would get more attention than carrier contract pricing (which is going to be partially, if not entirely, set by the carriers, not HP).
    I think pricing is so key in this market. Most casual observers will look at tablets as trinkets, toys if you will. So they have to be cheaper than base-priced laptops, around the price of netbooks.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I think it's going to be around $500 for wifi and $600+ for 4G device. For me, I won't buy it if it's over $400. This device doesn't have any apps to start, maybe very few, I am not going to invest $400+ on a device which I don't even know if I am going to get all the apps that I need in the near future. Better yet, I should just wait for like 6+ months to see all the apps taht i need is coming.

So even if they release it on Feb, I am not going to buy it til August or September. But by then, I am sure there's going to be so many different tablets will be in the market. and I'm sure what ever the HP tablet price will be down by then.
    I still see a subsidy in the cards. WiFi only version I expect would sell at around 499, but subsidized models would be around 399 or less.

Anywho, with the WebOs offerings set to communicate with each other, a carrier requirement and thus a subsidy.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I hopes they are

7" wifi only: $399
    7" wifi+3G/4G: $299 with 2yr contract, $499 without

10" wifi only: $449
    10" wifi+3G/4G: $349 with 2 yr contract, $549 without

But Im afraid it will be $100-200 more each.

I hope HP go in the market with force and lower the price to take up market shares.
    Here's my question to everyone here: why do you want the option of a subsidized tablet? Wouldn't the model Apple took with the iPad be much better?

If say, the base model is competitively priced against the iPad, is a difference of ~$200 for a subsidized tablet really worth it? Assuming that the data plan for a tablet would be a 2-year-contract at $30-$40/mo, that's over $600 you're committing to pay, on top of what you paid for the tablet itself.

Personally, I'd much rather just pay $500 upfront, and then give $15 to the carrier for 30 days of internet access whenever I want/need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If they undercut the iPad too much, it can only mean cheap materials, cheap manufacturing, and cheap engineering design. That's no way to screw up a first impression ... again.
    Keeping in mind the profit margin enjoyed by Apple, I think there's room for skepticism in that argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Keeping in mind the profit margin enjoyed by Apple, I think there's room for skepticism in that argument.
    agreed, if hp is determined to sacrifice some profit to take up marketshare.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    agreed, if hp is determined to sacrifice some profit to take up marketshare.
    I think you can just about bet that, at this stage in the game, HP is going be willing to scrifice some profit for marketshare.
    I think, on contract, the Topaz will be 399.99. Off contract 599.99. And I think Opal will be 299.99 on contract and 499.99 off contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Keep in mind that Apple's profit margin is borne of exceptionally favorable long term manufacturing contracts and large volumes.

And locked in componentry pricing.

Remember NO one thought iPads were going to launch as cheap as they did. You all throw out $399 or $499 not remembering analysts predicted the iPad was going to be close to $1k.

And it's clearly not like they are selling them as a loss leader, they just have supply pricing locked up. Such as the $3B they just spent on locking up unnamed components at contracted pricing. And they spent two years, not six months setting up that supply chain.

If any one can match apples pricing, with comparable quality, I'll eat my shorts.
    One thing that comes into play in my mind is that Apple products have historically been priced higher than everything else. Look at a PC/Windows desktop system versus a comparable Apple product. There might be a $500 difference ... easily. Apple just prices their stuff higher because they know they have a hoard of zombies that will buy whatever has an image of a piece of fruit on the side of it.

With that said, I expect the HP webOS tablets to come in lower than the iPad. I'm looking at $399 for the base wifi only 9'' model, and $349 for the wifi only version of the 7'' model.

Of course, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I have $390 set aside from my fantasy football winnings this year, and that money is earmarked for a webOS tablet
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    One thing that comes into play in my mind is that Apple products have historically been priced higher than everything else. Look at a PC/Windows desktop system versus a comparable Apple product. There might be a $500 difference ... easily. Apple just prices their stuff higher because they know they have a hoard of zombies that will buy whatever has an image of a piece of fruit on the side of it.

With that said, I expect the HP webOS tablets to come in lower than the iPad. I'm looking at $399 for the base wifi only 9'' model, and $349 for the wifi only version of the 7'' model.

Of course, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I have $390 set aside from my fantasy football winnings this year, and that money is earmarked for a webOS tablet
    Don't forget, Apple doesn't compete in the 'low-end' market. Don't let their pricing skew your perception; yes, their profit margins are higher than most but they also don't short-change [any] of their hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The $499 price point for the lowest-priced iPad effectively neutered the tablet competition in 2010. Remember that prior to the Jan 2010 introduction of the iPad, it was fairly common knowledge that Apple had one in development. Everyone knew this for more than a year.

CES 2010 was all about tablets and e-readers. They were ready. Then $499 hit and everything went back to the drawing boards. The HP Slate, the Joo Joo, and whatever else vanished because now you had to match Apple's usability and cut $150 to $200 off of the price in order to compete. That product simply did not exist in early 2010. It barely existed in late 2010. It may or may not exist in 2011, especially knowing that iPad 2 is coming along.

The iPad is not positioned as a premium product. You can buy them at WalMart and Target and other places where Macs will probably never be sold. It's positioned like the iPod. An iconic competition-killing get-it-off-the-shelf consumer-oriented device.
    I agree. I'm seeing price guesses all over the board here.

Let's be real. HP needs to have this for around 199 and 99 (9" and 7" respectively) to move them. That's on contract. If they're not that initially, they soon will be.

With the connected theme and online storage, HP may not even want to do a wifi only version. They'll need that subsidy from the carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I think pricing is so key in this market. Most casual observers will look at tablets as trinkets, toys if you will. So they have to be cheaper than base-priced laptops, around the price of netbooks.
    This is rapidly changing as millions of iPads are sold each quarter... and companies are adopting them for all sorts of business uses like hospital nurses making their rounds, service technicians, etc. Reminds me of when the Netgrocer.com delivery guys used Palm PDA's for the pick and delivery processes, and we signed for the delivery on the graffiti area.
    IMHO, HP needs to forget about pricing against the iPad and focus on all the cheap Android tablets that are flooding the market. I was in Frys yesterday. They had a bunch of Android tablets from Chinese companies I've never heard of. They ranged from 7" to 10", came in wide-screen and 4:3 formats, and the most expensive one was $399. The cheapest one was $169.

I thought the hardware was typically cheesy and the Android UI was a mess. But, I could surf the web, read a kindle book, and do much of what I currently do on my Pre+

If I ever decide I want a 7" or 10" slab for browsing, reading, and watching tv... I could tether one of those to my Pre+ and have a really cheap solution with access to the entire Android market - And never even look at a Galaxy Tab, RIM Playbook, or iPad...

That was pretty unsettling to see the cheap knock-offs already taking up almost half the space that Frys previously used for netbooks. That said, I think HP needs a WiFi-only device that sells for $249 for a low-end model, and no more than $399 for their flagship device. And those price points will go down rapidly over the next two years...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I agree. I'm seeing price guesses all over the board here.

Let's be real. HP needs to have this for around 199 and 99 (9" and 7" respectively) to move them. That's on contract. If they're not that initially, they soon will be.

With the connected theme and online storage, HP may not even want to do a wifi only version. They'll need that subsidy from the carriers.
    What carrier would agree to that pricing? Starting at $100-200 for a tablet leaves very little room for carriers to make a profit on the sale of the device, and a cloud heavy OS tablet won't make them much money on the data plan side either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    When has undercutting Apple on hardware price ever worked?
    How about that one time windows had 95% global market share...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What carrier would agree to that pricing? Starting at $100-200 for a tablet leaves very little room for carriers to make a profit on the sale of the device, and a cloud heavy OS tablet won't make them much money on the data plan side either.
    Why not? We got people valuing tablets at 399, 499 or whatever. Smartphones are valued more than that and sold at similar prices. An iphone goes for 599 & 699 but is sold at 199/299.

Selling tablets as separate plans might be hard to do. Customers might bite if it was an addon to an existing voice plan. 30 more per month plus the 199 for the tablet. Or offer a combo data plan at 50.

If I'm Sprint for instance, i want people to buy those touchpads in my carrier stores as an addon for their existing phone plan. I want to sell them more options. I don't want for them to get bored with a phone and move on, now i want them having two devices which ties them to the same plan.

Just thinking out loud here. They'll have to get creative though.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    How about that one time windows had 95% global market share...
    Microsoft doesn't make hardware, and Apple barely competes in the laptop and desktop segments that have those low prices. Meanwhile in the PC luxury market - where they most certainly do - Apple owns like 80-90 percent of the market.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast