Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    So with tablets becoming pretty common place these days I'm really curious what individual people plan to actually use them for (or maybe already do if they have another brand of one).

I personally could see mine getting a lot of use in the kitchen for viewing recipes, measurement conversions, music, and catching up on facebook while waiting for water to boil.

So what would you do?
    I wouldn't.

Okay, I would, but not for another few years. If Palm debuts a smartphone with a 4-inch, high res screen with some nice internals that make the phone very snappy, I see no need for a tablet or pad of any kind. It's just a niche market and a fad; no real value to having a toy like that even if it is the new Palm Pad.

That's my opinion of the tablet market, and I'm entitled to it. Thanks in advance for not flaming.
    My kitchen is literally 10 steps from my PC (in a spare bedroom), my speakers pound loud enough and they are Bose and sound great, couldn't imagine a tablet sounding better. Can see the TV from the kitchen, not sure what measurement conversions I'd be interested in, maybe how many square yards are in a hectare, but as far as kitchen measurements, I know enough off the top of my head, or have dual (metric/imperial) cups & spoons. I'm running out of options, I almost thought if I couldn't reach something on the top shelf I could stand on my tablet, but being that I can touch the ceiling, with my feet flat on the floor, that's not really an option either........maybe if it had some sort of arm sling I could use it to fend off the breath of a fire-breathing dragon? If the outer shell of the tablet was ceramic, maybe an insert for a bulletproof vest....The more I talk about these things, the more I convince myself that I am definitely NOT in the demographic that they are trying to sell these to
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    catching up on facebook while waiting for water to boil.
    I'd do something similar while watching TV: FB, catch up on email, looking up stuff on the web, etc during commercials or a bathroom break. It's the same sort of stuff I use the Pre for now when I'm at home.
    I already have a galaxy tab, and here is what i used it for:

1. email
    2. internet
    3. office work
    4. streaming online radio
    5. navigation
    I'd use a tablet while longing on the couch watching TV maybe. I don't really have a use for one since I have a laptop and a phone with a big screen lol. The phone itself is good enough for browsing the internets, email, etc though.
    I currently own an iPad and I use it for a lot of things, so in order for a webOS tablet to entice me, its capabilities would need to be equivalent to that of the iPad and then some. Right now, this is what I use the iPad for and in order of importance:

- Netflix
    - Kindle
    - Browsing the Internet
    - EMail
    - Movies (I sometimes purchase a movie or two from iTunes when I travel)
    - Games
    - Music (I stream a lot of Pandora and Rdio)
    - Word Processing / Spread Sheets

So, we can easily guess that the webOS tablet will probably do 4 out of 8 things I listed here out of the box. I think for many will be what applications (to include games) it includes and of those applications, how many are big names (Netflix and Kindle, for example).

HP can't just rely on the whole "multitasking" thing for success.
    There is nothing a tablet can do that my phone or computer or TV can't. So I'll probably never own a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    There is nothing a tablet can do that my phone or computer or TV can't. So I'll probably never own a tablet.
    actually, i can carry 7" galaxy tab in my coat pocket, which can help with most office work I need through the day. This is quite useful.

Thats why HPalm tabley need a high class browser, email client and full MS office compatible application to attract me.
    Can your computer or TV fit in a manila envelope?
    For me, it's not about a tablet vs laptop/computer. It's about the user experience. I much prefer sitting on the couch or lounging in bed with my iPad vs. a cumbersome laptop; the experience all-around is just much better.

Not to mention, battery life. Battery life on laptops isn't quite there yet or comparable to some of the tablets that are on the market today.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    actually, i can carry 7" galaxy tab in my coat pocket, which can help with most office work I need through the day. This is quite useful.

Thats why HPalm tabley need a high class browser, email client and full MS office compatible application to attract me.
    When it's 30C or 90F (ie Summer) where are you going to put it?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Yeah, I understand for some this is a better preference. For me personally, my phone handles emails and stuff just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Why would I want to do that? lol

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    For me, it's not about a tablet vs laptop/computer. It's about the user experience. I much prefer sitting on the couch or lounging in bed with my iPad vs. a cumbersome laptop; the experience all-around is just much better.

Not to mention, battery life. Battery life on laptops isn't quite there yet or comparable to some of the tablets that are on the market today.
    Like you said, its a user experience. Meaning its a preference. For me, sitting on my couch or in bed, my phone works perfectly. For heavy use of Internet and all, I have my computer. Tablets just dont fit in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's a trick question....Yes it can, provided the manila envelope is big enough
    I travel a lot, so I would defintely need one, plus running one of the slickest OS out, it would be an awesome travel companion. Another feature I like is that it will have a USB port which will come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I travel a lot, so I would defintely need one, plus running one of the slickest OS out, it would be an awesome travel companion. Another feature I like is that it will have a USB port which will come in handy.
    According to the Engadget post, it does not have a USB port, only a micro-USB port (which is what the Pre/Pixi currently have).
    I won't speculate I will tell you what I am doing:

The basics:
    Email / Games / Web / Calendar (so many options) / Address book / Alarm Clock (so many options) /
    Weather (so many options) / Google Voice / Texting / Calcs: Too many to list / Measurement convert / Currency converter

The extra's
    GPS/Compass / Tom Tom / Navigon / Google Maps / USA / HopStop: Find out how to get there on Public Transportation / NYC Subway map / Find a Taxi /Airport maps / Trapster find speed traps / Point Inside Map of any Mall in US / Metro: Find out how to get there on Public Transportation / ATM Hunter

Reference
    Yellow Pages / White Pages / Dictionary / Acronyms / WebMD / iFixit / Wikipedia / IMDB

Tracking
    Fedex / UPS / USPS
    Deliveries: Tracks packages with any company all in one app, don't even need the above. lovely

Reading
    iBooks
    Kindle
    Nook
    PDF
    CHM Reader

Video
    Air Video: Stream over wifi or 3G
    Zumocast: Stream over wifi or 3G
    CinePlayer: Stream over wifi or 3G
    VLC: self explantory
    Video Stream
    Youtube
    RealDirector: Edit your movies

Music
    DJay: 2 turntables / iDJ: like the above but better / JamPad / GuitarLab / Guatarist Reference / AirGuitar / Nota / Synstation / Music Station / Voice DJ / Korg / Rebirth / IMS-20 / i505

Utils
    LogmeIn / Citrix / RSA / Teamviewer / Jump Desktop RDP / Touchmouse: control your HTPC / Too much more to list

Entertainment
    Netflix
    Slingbox
    Optimum: Control my Cable DVR over 3G
    Too many more to list
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    When it's 30C or 90F (ie Summer) where are you going to put it?
    Well, the 9" tablet is not as attractive as 7" ones, I would agree that 9" tablet isn't significantly better than a laptop in terms of portability, while doesn't do nearly as many thing as a real laptop.

7", however, is significantly easier to carry, especially if the battery is good for 8 hrs intense use, there would be no need to carry power adapters.

I found my galaxy tab very useful, especially with T-mobile's free mobile AP, its a great tablet.

If I were to get a webOS tablet, I will probably go for a wifi only, 7", but until it has a quality browser, faster email, and full MS office compatible office app, it can't replace my galaxy tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I currently own an iPad and I use it for a lot of things, so in order for a webOS tablet to entice me, its capabilities would need to be equivalent to that of the iPad and then some. Right now, this is what I use the iPad for and in order of importance:

- Netflix
    - Kindle
    - Browsing the Internet
    - EMail
    - Movies (I sometimes purchase a movie or two from iTunes when I travel)
    - Games
    - Music (I stream a lot of Pandora and Rdio)
    - Word Processing / Spread Sheets

So, we can easily guess that the webOS tablet will probably do 4 out of 8 things I listed here out of the box. I think for many will be what applications (to include games) it includes and of those applications, how many are big names (Netflix and Kindle, for example).

HP can't just rely on the whole "multitasking" thing for success.
    So I would say that the HP pads will do all of the 8 things you mentioned. From day 1.

Netflix HTML 5 app. Mention before. 2nd HTML 5 app for them after PS3.
    Kindle app. See article from P/C this afternoon.
    Browsing internet. Pretty sure it'll do that.
    Email. Pretty sure it'll do that.
    Movie. Yep. See P/C article from today in regards to deep Amazon integration. Unboxing movies.
    Games. I have no doubt you'll see games. You may even see EA on Feb 9. Angry Birds? Wouldn't rule out.
    Music. Yep. Get from Amazon, stream Pandora just like you do now. Or use the cloud storage that HP is going to give you and stream your music from you computer.

Word Processing/spreadsheets. That's what Quick Office is for. And Quick Office did say several months back they're working on creating the version that'll let you edit.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    For me a tab would only be useful if I traveled alot being stuck in airports with a need for entertainment. I have a nice 15in laptop that I sit in front of my tv and use. When I want to watch a tv show on Netflix I use my laptop but most of the time I stream Netflix from the Xbox 360 via the projector.

When I listen to music I do it from my lapper or I access it through my dvr which is connected to the network and plays the music through my surround sound system.

I wouldn't mind a pad but I'm afraid that I wouldn't use it much.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast