Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'd mostly use it as an e-reader - no more printing out of PDFs for uni, I'd just take my tablet with me (and get weird looks, but whatever).

And I'd probably carry the tablet with me at home like I'm now carrying my phone... Instant internet whenever you just wanna look something up is fantastic, and a 9" screen is better than a 3" (or 4" for that matter). And the greatest thing is that if I get a phonecall, it seems like my HP phone sitting in my "home office" will just redirect it to my HP tablet in my lap in the living room
    I'd use it mainly as a way to surf the internet and check emails, which is what I use my current home laptop for. It would be good if I could have Quicken on it....that would mean I wouldn't need me laptop any more.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

Be a Patriot, pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I think the reason we all started chanting about wanting a webOS tablet after we complained about the iPad being 'useless' is because we know that webOS has enormous potential as a productive OS. Having my 'to-dos' available in a card, with my messenger in another card, with my emails I need to sort, with a podcast on pause, while signing into my classes I need (all while I have a sinus infection, while laying in bed) is quite nice. Quite nice indeed.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I forgot to say this: when I saw the iPad, I thought it was kindof stupid. But that was simply because it was getting blown out of proportion how amazing it was when they had to go all 'macbook air' style on it, and remove some major functionality (dont get me started on dongles). After playing with one I decided (even with a WebOS bias) that I'd buy one if I was a rich man. But WebOS + bigger screen, more functions, faster, etc = something that I will save up for and definitely want to purchase.

I would really like some sort of on-device development environment for developers to make apps.

It would make it much easier to test apps and they could really design an intuitive touch-sensitive UI designer.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I'm out of town a lot. Evenings in hotel rooms with my Palm pre will be replaced by evenings with my webOS Slate (or whatever they call it).
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    play - what else am i supposed to do with a toy?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre and would use a tablet if it did the following.
    1. Played hd video in the latest formats, including googles proposed new standards.
    2. Has excellent voice rcognition for dictating texts, email, and word processing documents.
    3. Has handwriting recognition for text, sketches, and math.
    4. Has a computer algebra program like MathCad or Matlab, that works with touch and handwriting.

Basically I think a tablet should be able to replace what one can do with paper, pencil, and paint; while at the same time integrating a touch intensive OS If I had apps for items 3 and 4, integrated with HP WebOS, I'd be all over it.
    Man, why do things feel like they always get so heated on forums?

Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    4. Has a computer algebra program like MathCad or Matlab, that works with touch and handwriting.
    If something like a tablet could run Matlab properly (remotely close to a computer) that thing would instantly rape the iPad sales a million-fold. No question about it. However, I'm fairly certain it won't. It's not practical. Unless you're talking about using it as a window i.e. SSHing to a computer somewhere in the building and utilizing its power... Heck, even if they built support for that into the system natively it would be EXTREMELY useful and very well received by the "professional" population...
    I'm using a fujitsu stylistic, now. several years old, but have been holding out for a "palm" webos tablet. I'm pretty stoked about the rumors of printer, tablet and netbook webos, and wonder if a desktop, software, or server for virtual is in the works.
    if i could boot in seconds, or not at all, and access desktop files, i wouldn't be stuck carrying quite so much hardware around.
    looking forward to purchasing a webos phone and tab.
    Freedom from BB enterprise! "how many ways can i pay for my data? let me count the ways."
    Last edited by dalspartan; 01/29/2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: misspellings
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    I have a Sprint Pre and would use a tablet if it did the following.
    1. Played hd video in the latest formats, including googles proposed new standards.
    2. Has excellent voice rcognition for dictating texts, email, and word processing documents.
    3. Has handwriting recognition for text, sketches, and math.

Basically I think a tablet should be able to replace what one can do with paper, pencil, and paint; while at the same time integrating a touch intensive OS If I had apps for items 3 and 4, integrated with HP WebOS, I'd be all over it.
    For #4: Wolfram Course Assistant Apps: Step-By-Step Homework Help
    quite simply, to browse the net from my bed.

^ why i'd get a tablet (and because i love webOS)
    <<thread cleaned>>

NOTE: this please re-read the subject of this thread. It isn't a thread to argue about different company's products and market share yet again. Continued off-topic posts will be deleted and posters will start earning infractions.
    Depends on it's functionality

i would use it for what it was designed for !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Do away with my laptop and be able to browse the internet/be productive without a this brick. I'd dedicate my laptop as my X-Box's router/charging station, and then use my tablet to do anything I want to do. Also, having a tablet/phone combo means that my phone calls/texts will be forwarded to the tablet, eliminating the need for picking up my phone whilst on my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    It isn't a thread to argue about different company's products and market share yet again.
    what if that's where the discussion goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    what if that's where the discussion goes.
    Then he'll go Chef Ramsey on you and shut it all down

I do hear ya though. The ipad is the tablet market right now. So what would you do with one? That's the only point of reference most have right now.

Perhaps after Feb. 9th, we might know more about what we could do with a TouchPad or Palmpad.
    I would buy one for:
    -Email
    -Web Browsing
    -Calendar
    -Messaging (MSN, Facebook, Sype with video)
    -Youtube
    -My first e-book reader
    -Magazines
    -Games
    Though, I hope HP Palm shows us more reasons for buying a WebOS tablet than an ipad.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast