Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 109
  1. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #41  
    I started to learn javascript and how to make webOS apps for the main reason that I have one specific app I want to make mostly for my own use. This app is meant for a phone, but ever since Enyo I have though of how I could make it even better on a tablet device. Now, if things are true about the tap to transfer feature, this would play in perfectly with what I would want from this app. This tablet would actually help improve my life a little, especially combined with a phone like that.

    (and don't ask me what the app is, it is months away from being started and it's a niche app so you probably wouldn't want it)
    Apps:

    Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @danwendell

    TL;DR
    NBD
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    ... but ever since Enyo I have though of how I could make it even better on a tablet device. Now, if things are true about the tap to transfer feature...
    It just occurred to me that tapping these devices against each other will dent/scratch/crack them. Are you referring to tapping the screen, or tapping one device with the other?
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    they are Bose and sound great, couldn't imagine a tablet sounding better.
    face-palm

    Sorry, audio snob here

    To each is own though!


    On topic though, I plan on using it in my car, basically replacing my head unit and molding my dash to make it able to slide it in and out of the car when needed. A dude on youtube called "Sound Man" did something similar with an iPad... though I had this idea before he posetd this so I am confident that I am not copying him.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I don't know aoubt the early version but QuickOffice can edit.
    On webOS?
    Quickoffice » Quickoffice for webOS


    Currently, our Quickoffice Connect™ viewer application is being delivered at no charge to users with webOS 2.0 firmware updates and shipped on new devices like the Palm Pre 2 "out of the box". We are working hard to deliver our full editing version, Quickoffice Connect™ Mobile Suite, which will be released in the future as a paid upgrade.
    Sign up to be notified when our full editing version is available for HP webOS! You will be notified when it is available to purchase and become eligible for a special exclusive discount on our initial release when you subscribe.

  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    On webOS?
    Quickoffice » Quickoffice for webOS


    Currently, our Quickoffice Connect™ viewer application is being delivered at no charge to users with webOS 2.0 firmware updates and shipped on new devices like the Palm Pre 2 "out of the box". We are working hard to deliver our full editing version, Quickoffice Connect™ Mobile Suite, which will be released in the future as a paid upgrade.
    Sign up to be notified when our full editing version is available for HP webOS! You will be notified when it is available to purchase and become eligible for a special exclusive discount on our initial release when you subscribe.

    Sorry, I meant QuickOffice HD. I didn't even know WebOS had QuickOffice. Well, I don't even try to open any doc or excel on my phone, so I didn't even know.
  7. #47  
    one word: college.

    i have a gaming desktop that i built that i keep in my dorm but it'd be nice to carry a webOS tablet around to classes.
  8. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It just occurred to me that tapping these devices against each other will dent/scratch/crack them. Are you referring to tapping the screen, or tapping one device with the other?
    Which ever one it is, I am sure to like it. Good point though, screen tapping would be better then smacking devices against each other. Hadn't thought of that either.
    Apps:

    Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
  9. #49  
    Bump has been used on Android and iPhone devices for quite some time now and there have been no reports of devices breaking due to a "tap" (that I'm aware of).

    If I had to guess, they didn't mean a literal tapping of devices.
  10. #50  
    Other than surfing the web?^^

    I would love to connect to our corporate net via VPN, get my mails and work on my system and/or the servers with a terminal-application.
    That's what's pretty much most important for me in addition to what webOS can already do: VPN, a terminal app and a ssh-client.
  11. #51  
    It will have to replace two other devices -- my Nook and my netbook. The Nook would be easy to replace with a Barnes and Noble Nook app (and a battery that lasts long enough to be able to read for an hour or two). To replace the netbook will be harder. The Palmpad will need document editing capabilities. It will also need a viable genealogy app (the reason I carry the netbook around half the time.)
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    It will have to replace two other devices -- my Nook and my netbook. The Nook would be easy to replace with a Barnes and Noble Nook app (and a battery that lasts long enough to be able to read for an hour or two). To replace the netbook will be harder. The Palmpad will need document editing capabilities. It will also need a viable genealogy app (the reason I carry the netbook around half the time.)
    My wife is into that. Using RootsMagic but looking at ancestory.com (family tree maker or something) since she's a member. She has some apps on her iphone but more of a viewer role.

    A pad could easily replace a Kindle or Nook. I think the problem comes up wanting it to replace a laptop or 12" laptop. We've never bought into the Atom powered 10" netbooks. Sometimes its hard to know what people mean when they say netbook.

    But basically i need a 10" device or higher to run the apps i use such as office. There's no substitute. Quick Office isn't a solution for me. The office apps on the ipad are garbage.

    If you just view a pad as an e-reader/media device, then it makes more sense. We have an ipad but its mainly used by our 4yr old. It's a big ipod touch. She loves it.

    Perhaps the 7" version is small enough to carry around like a phone. Pay a data plan, use voip, and ditch the phone? I could maybe see that.
  13. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #53  
    IF we could get some kind of remote desktop app similar to some on the iPad (there's one that gives you a joystick overlay, works great for gaming) then it'd replace my netbook.

    Suddenly watching my 50" plasma and tracking my fantasy football is enjoyable enough that I'm not forgoing the 50" for a 19" so I can be at my computer. Trying to wind down before bed with some web browsing? Now I can actually do it in bed or laying down to help facilitate that sleepy feeling. Lunch break at work, pop the instant-on tablet up and have web browsing, games, books, TV, etc at my disposal to relax in my free time. Lost in a city and my Pre's tiny screen isn't cutting it for zooming around the map? Well swipe that map over to my tablet and see it in far more reaching detail.
  14. #54  
    I use my ipad to keep up with this fine forum and blog here

    Internet surf/facebook
    Email
    Games
    I dont have hulu plus, but i have the splashtop app, which lets me access my laptop over wifi to watch hulu or do anything else on there. Unless im away from home, my ipad has replaced all my other devices for regular computer use. I love the battery life i get out of it, so its getting a LOT of use.
  15. #55  
    At Home (TV Room):
    - Control my TV
    - Control my AppleTV
    - Show movies/pics from my iPad on my TV (via AppleTV)
    - Keep IMDB at my fingertips
    - Play Netflix
    - Surf/check mail, etc.

    At Home (Kitchen):
    - Cook book
    - Online recipes
    - Grocery list (synched via the cloud to my phone/my wife's phone).
    - Portable TV (using Slingplayer)
    - Surf/check email, etc.

    At Home (Den):
    - Use as an additional screen off my computer (via AirPlay)
    - Or watch TV in the background (Slingplayer)
    - Read, a lot (Kindle, iBooks)

    At Home (Bathroom):
    - Intentionally left blank

    At Work (Everywhere):
    - Take notes at (boring yet inevitable) meetings, synched via the cloud to my phone, laptop, and staff (Evernote).
    - Highlight PDFs and return
    - Sign PDFs and return
    - Edit Office documents and return
    - Wirelessly synchronize my entire (20GB or so) of work files using GoodReader
    - Access documents on the road using DropBox
    - Read (newspapers or books) at lunch time
    - Manage my schedule/todos - synchronized with my assistant/staff in real-time
    - Use mind-mapping software for those (all too rare) creative times
    - Surf/check email, etc.

    There's a lot you can do with a tablet that is just too inconvenient with a laptop/netbook and needs a screen larger than a phone.
  16. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #56  
    Wow, lot of uses I wouldn't have thought of. So the next question, with me never having used any tablet, how is text entry? There is all of this talk about document editing. Can an on-screen keyboard really allow for efficient text entry? I can type really fast on a regular keyboard and even my Pre's keyboard. I just can't imagine typing on a large screen (with the virtual keyboard taking half the screen). What are your thoughts?
  17. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #57  
    Mostly/entirely consumption, not production:
    - RSS/web browsing in front of the tv, etc.
    - Replacing having to print out tons of PDF pages before meetings
    - video browsing.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Wow, lot of uses I wouldn't have thought of. So the next question, with me never having used any tablet, how is text entry? There is all of this talk about document editing. Can an on-screen keyboard really allow for efficient text entry? I can type really fast on a regular keyboard and even my Pre's keyboard. I just can't imagine typing on a large screen (with the virtual keyboard taking half the screen). What are your thoughts?
    Not very good.

    A lot of his home uses can be done on an iphone just as well.

    His work ones are more efficient on a laptop. My staff would know better than to show up at a meeting with an ipad. Or if they edited an office document or spreadsheet with an unapproved program especially an ipad app. They're pretty much already given the tools they need.

    JMO, no offense Kupe. And it largely depends on the type of work you do. So it may work well for him. In a CPA firm, we're nuts about things like this. I'd love to be able to use a tablet though..don't get me wrong. That day isn't here yet.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/20/2011 at 10:14 AM.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #59  
    Where does NFC fit into all of this? is this how information will be exchanged or are we talking about bluetooth?
  20. #60  
    I'd definitely use it in the bathroom alot! Can't give up my kindle though, its just so easy on the eyes!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions