Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Sorry, wrong post
    how good is quick office in terms of MS. Office compatibility?

I know when I edit my word files (usually about 50 pages) with doc to go, it is 100% compatible, including all the symbols.

this is extremely important to me. Anybody tried quick office and have an anwser?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post

Why would I want to do that? lol
    Well, you said that your TV and Computer can do everything a tablet could do... and that was the best objection I could come up with...
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    how good is quick office in terms of MS. Office compatibility?

I know when I edit my word files (usually about 50 pages) with doc to go, it is 100% compatible, including all the symbols.

this is extremely important to me. Anybody tried quick office and have an anwser?
    Somewhere I read a post or review that said QuickOffice is still read-only, and that editing will arrive in a future version...

I can't imagine doing significant editing on a phone, but on a PalmPad or big slab... absolutely.
    For me, my iPad does everything an ultraportible laptop like a Dell Adamo or MacBook air does, but not as well. Sure it can play games, but altough I must have hundreds, I rarely play them because they are generally rather tragic. The web-browsing experience although cool at first, is painfully slow and the multitasking is quite poor.There are only three advantages of a tablet against an ultraportable, price (they're about two thousand AUD cheaper), e-books and battery life. It was a really hard decision between the Dell and the iPad, but in the end of the day the adamo's battery life and the fact that I already have a top in line XPS 16 laptop convinced me to get the iPad, and I still don't know if I have made the right decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

I can't imagine doing significant editing on a phone, but on a PalmPad or big slab... absolutely.
    yeah, that's about only thing that would attract me to a hp/palm pad right now. Otherwise, I would just upgrade my pre and stick to my galaxy tab for office file editing, that is, if the new smartphone from HP is attractive enough.
    I do editing on my lapper user MS Office. There is no way I would do that on a pad or phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    My dream would be to paint on it using a digitizer, but I probably wont have that dream anytime soon.
    I have Ipad for awhile now. Ipad or any kind of tablet won't replace the PC, I doubt within next few years. However, I don't really need to buy a laptop any mroe. My next computer will be cheap desktop, and Ipad2 or any kind of cool tablet in the future.

I used it for browsing at home, on the sofa, bathroom, bed or any where if I want to.
    Read books, I have an app called GoodReader, great apps. I have whole bunch of books in PDF format and it gives great reading experience with this app, can't live without it.
    Kindle app, I buy all my new books from here. Again great reading experience.
    I watch movie on Netflix, again must have. I won't buy new tablet if they don't have this app supported.
    I have Air Video app, which let you stream any kind of video format from PC to my iPad. Again, must have. I don't need to convert or copy any movies into my ipad.
    Comic Zeal, I have tons of manga in my pc. I no longer need my computer to read my comic books. My next tablet must have Manga reader.
    Office apps.
    Games.
    And many more.

Again, I don't really need so much features. Multitask is good but as long as I can run like 3 or 4 apps at same time, I am fine with it. Unlike smartphone, when I open one app in my iPad, i stay with it for a long time, like read books, watch movie or even browsing. So I don't really need to flip thru so many apps at one time. However, without proper apps, there's no reason to have tablet. Smartphone, it's ok I guess. But tablet is only useful when you have an apps that you can actually use.
    Somewhere I read a post or review that said QuickOffice is still read-only, and that editing will arrive in a future version...

I don't know aoubt the early version but QuickOffice can edit.
    Well, you said that your TV and Computer can do everything a tablet could do... and that was the best objection I could come up with...
    Ok, fair enough. Lol
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    I read and annotate many PDF docs a week. I tried an iPad for a week, and loved it. I returned because I wanted to see what would happen at CES and now with the Palm TouchPad.

I really would like to not have to print everything each week... Everything else that a pad can do is just icing on the cake.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    I have an iPad and a Nook Color. I work for a tech company that happens to make PC hardware, so I have many computers. Basically you will find a PC or laptop in every room of my house. I work from home, so I spend a lot of time at my desk which has a workstation class PC with a 30inch lcd monitor. I still do most of my browsing there, but I have found myself picking up the iPad or Nook Color when I want to quickly check something on the web. I guess I could use the Pre, but it is nice to have the bigger screen of the tablets.

I originally bought an iPad for my Mom. For her I thought it would be a good PC replacement. About the only thing she used to do on her PC was play solitaire. She would occasionally check Facebook, but generally had some difficulty with it. She had mentioned that she wanted to get a laptop to use for when she retires, but I thought the iPad would be easier. Some benefits of the iPad are that it boots/turns on fast and is hard (near impossible) to screw up with spyware or viruses. My mom now uses the iPad continuously. She brings it almost everywhere she goes and she uses the web and email more than she ever did before. She also plays other games besides solitaire now (Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Scrabble). Another benefit is that i devices have become somewhat ubiquitous, so if she does have problems with it she can ask friends and relatives for help. I did not necessarily want friends and relatives screwing with her PC.

At the time I purchased the iPad for my mom, I let my wife try it out and I asked her if she wanted one (she already is an iPhone user). She did like it, but said that she did not want to spend the money since she had gotten a new laptop only a few months earlier. The laptop is a small and light model that gets 8-10 hours of battery life, but still has decent horsepower. About 2 weeks after we gave my mom her iPad, my wife changed her mind and said she really wanted an iPad. Now she rarely uses her laptop and uses the iPad constantly. Yes, she can do much of what she does with the iPad on her iPhone, but the iPhone does not have the screen real estate. For web surfing the iPad kills smart phones and laptops (most of the time). The battery like on the iPad is stellar, so it is always ready to go. We have PCs or laptops in almost every room of the house, but for someone like my wife the iPad is just quicker and easier. Basically my wife uses the browser, email, chat (IM+) and watches movies (Videos, Netflix or Airplayer). She also uses the iPad to entertain our son with movies, games, books (Nook for kids) and coloring. The iPad basically goes everywhere we go.

I don't use the iPad that much, since it is usually used by my wife. However I do have an original Nook and a Nook Color. I read every day on the original Nook. It goes with me on all of my trips. I love reading from e-ink. The Nook Color is more of a toy. I wanted to root it and see what an Android tablet is like. Realistically it is almost as good as the iPad, especially considering the price. As far as I am concerned the killer app for a tablet is web browsing on a good size screen using normal websites on a device that boots/turns on immediately. I also really like the size and form factor of the Nook vs the iPad. The iPad does get heavy after a while.

You might argue that a laptop can turn on and be ready to browse as quickly as a tablet and i guess you would be correct. Even my slower laptops can strat up or return from standby pretty quickly, but they are still not as convenient or energy efficient as the Nook Color or iPad. I leave all of my laptops plugged in when they are not in use, because if I don't they generally have a dead battery when i go to use them. I could hibernate them to save energy, but then they will not be ready to go as quickly as the tablets. Lastly for simple browsing the tablet form factor is just more ergonomic.

Even though I have an iPad and Nook Color, I think I will buy a TouchPad/Palm Pad day one of it's availability. I love WebOS and think it can have even more upside than the iPad if HP handles it right.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    ^ whoa, I'll bookmark this for a later read
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I currently own an iPad and I use it for a lot of things, so in order for a webOS tablet to entice me, its capabilities would need to be equivalent to that of the iPad and then some. Right now, this is what I use the iPad for and in order of importance:

- Netflix
    - Kindle
    - Browsing the Internet
    - EMail
    - Movies (I sometimes purchase a movie or two from iTunes when I travel)
    - Games
    - Music (I stream a lot of Pandora and Rdio)
    - Word Processing / Spread Sheets

So, we can easily guess that the webOS tablet will probably do 4 out of 8 things I listed here out of the box. I think for many will be what applications (to include games) it includes and of those applications, how many are big names (Netflix and Kindle, for example).

HP can't just rely on the whole "multitasking" thing for success.
    I am curious? I had a convertible pc one and I found it tiresome for long term use when compared to a laptop or desk with the monitor positioned at a comfortable viewing angle. Do you guys use tablets a lot or do you find it to be more like a toy?
    electronic medical record viewing
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I do editing on my lapper user MS Office. There is no way I would do that on a pad or phone.
    Wouldn't it need to have about 3x the resolution for that? I would think the current wimpy resolution of the current tablets would give you lots of jaggy edges and pixelation.
    @danwendell

TL;DR
    All I need it to do is replace my laptop. IE: Document editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am curious? I had a convertible pc one and I found it tiresome for long term use when compared to a laptop or desk with the monitor positioned at a comfortable viewing angle. Do you guys use tablets a lot or do you find it to be more like a toy?
    Ipad does get tired. I am like 95% satisfy with my Ipad. Only one complaint on this is the weight. It's not too bad, however if you are trying to holding it for 2 hours movie, it get too tired. However, I go to coffee shop and read, I can put the corner of the ipad on the table, it's perfect.

Is this Toy? oh yeah, most definately. I lived without Ipad whole my life and I never missed it. However, if someone take my iPad, I think i'll be really miss it alot. I really don't need to replace my iPad, this thing does everything that I need and some. However, there's too many cool tablets are coming out soon and my iPad does look outdated lately. I think my 3 years old daughter will love it once I get the next tablet, hehe. It's really hard to take my iPad from here already.

My next tablet has to have following,
    Office app
    Good PDF reader, I prefer GoodReader app.
    NetFlix
    Kindle
    Manga Reader
    Hope it plays avi, if it doesn't, need an app can stream movie to the tablet.
    Battery life, if I have to plug in everyday, it already failed.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast