Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am currently using a pixi+ for my everyday phone (i switched from the pre+ recently) and i couldn't be happier with the form factor. It is light and small, the keyboard is great and it fits in my pocket no problem. To me, it's everything a smart phone should be, with the exception of horsepower. OCing is helping, but it would be nice to not have worry about doing that.

The idea of a large screen smart phone is for multimedia reasons mostly. Video and websites are clearer and larger (other advantages as well). The downside to these large screens is portability and toughness. So i have to wear cargo pants everywhere i go now or what? Portability is key for me.

Now, if hp sync system is what the rumors are suggesting, then why do you need a large screen phone if you can use your tablet for all the large content? Record a video with your phone and watch it on either device? Take photos of your trip, watch the slide show on the tablet? That is so money.

I have had an iphone, iphone 3g, and an iphone 3gs and i've never watched a full movie on any of them. Youtube is the extend of my video watching and the pixi does that fine, so what is the benefit to having a large screen phone other than the horsepower?

Let the debate begin!

P.S. I understand that the cost is a downside (owning both a tab and a phone), but i'm more interested in the long term effects. I guarantee that apple is going to offer the same type of sync service soon.
    No....most people won't buy a tablet...still need a bigger screen.
    There's no debate. Big screen phones are selling right now. A tablet - especially one with yet another data plan - does not counteract this.
    i also believe that a screen as big as the pixi's is big enough. I would prefer 80pxl more to be able to use every app in the catalog, but i do not need a full display device. If prefere the combination of keyboard and display instand of a displaykeyboard.

Ever written a sms on a iphone?

The screen becomes a keyboard, and the window with the messages is reduced to a little one line area. This is garbage! The screen of the pixi is - when typing - always bigger than the screen of the iphone. For browsing it is not as comfortable as the iphones, but it fits it purpouse.

I once had an htc hd2. Even bigger as the iphone. But when you are not playing or hardcore-internet-surfing you just are looking weird. Making a call looks like you are putting a brick on your ear. In your pocket it is a comfortable as a brick.

It is the phone for the "lost" people. Who believe they HAVE to be online everywhere and needs a real computer in their pockets. A screen-keyboard combination like the pre or pixi are better suited for the adult customers.
    Who are happy to have the possibility to use the internet when needed but wants to have more a phone_device than a computer.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    i also believe that a screen as big as the pixi's is big enough. I would prefer 80pxl more to be able to use every app in the catalog, but i do not need a full display device. If prefere the combination of keyboard and display instand of a displaykeyboard.

Ever written a sms on a iphone?

The screen becomes a keyboard, and the window with the messages is reduced to a little one line area. This is garbage! The screen of the pixi is - when typing - always bigger than the screen of the iphone. For browsing it is not as comfortable as the iphones, but it fits it purpouse.

I once had an htc hd2. Even bigger as the iphone. But when you are not playing or hardcore-internet-surfing you just are looking weird. Making a call looks like you are putting a brick on your ear. In your pocket it is a comfortable as a brick.

It is the phone for the "lost" people. Who believe they HAVE to be online everywhere and needs a real computer in their pockets. A screen-keyboard combination like the pre or pixi are better suited for the adult customers.
    Who are happy to have the possibility to use the internet when needed but wants to have more a phone_device than a computer.
    agreed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's really just a generation thing. People around my age are much more interested in a multimedia device. Almost all of my friends have phones with large screens and virtual keyboards. A physical keyboard is nice to have, but it adds unnecessary bulk and weight. There is a reason why slab phones are so wildly popular.

As far as tablets go, they seem pretty useful. But are you really going to bring your tablet everywhere you go? No. For me, it's better to carry around one device that can do it all. Oh, and my phone fits very comfortably in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Tablets are imo gimmick devices until they can fully replace a laptop until then they are over sized smart phones minus the phone.
    I agree with most of the statments. To me a phone size of the pre, or iphone at that is fine for me. Though really a pixi form factor with a little bigger screen then the pre would be fine. Give me a fast processor, sufficent cameria, memory and other basic bells and whistles and im fine too. Or another pre, or htc pro type slide out keyboard with a 3.5 inch screen. Its true I have a ipad, and a laptop and really dont carry either one with me because both are too big really to be a real convience on a daily basis. Im fine with the pre size and form factor, because to me a smartphone is supposed to be compact, not near tablet size like these big bricks. Its true it is def generational the reason why most people now want big screen phones, but for me im too old for that, and if I need to view something on a larger screen Ill go ahead and pick up the ipad, or laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Tablets are imo gimmick devices until they can fully replace a laptop until then they are over sized smart phones minus the phone.
    And yet they're receiving all the attention. I'm not sure why. Someone mentioned one of the HP phones will have a "retina" screen. Heck, that's better than anything i've heard on the tablet side. I'd rather see leaks about that phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And yet they're receiving all the attention. I'm not sure why. Someone mentioned one of the HP phones will have a "retina" screen. Heck, that's better than anything i've heard on the tablet side. I'd rather see leaks about that phone..
    exactly, but of course we all know media are sheep so whatever is thought of as hot people will follow the crowd and buy it. Its hard not to get caught up in it, though I always try to think what will work for me. Even in regards to different OS's, and I myself am interested in the phone mostly though, but if the tablet can really replace my laptop i will sell it and purchase the tablet.
    Krusell – The best selling phones in 2010

1. Apple iPhone 4
    2. Nokia 3720 Classic
    3. HTC HD2
    4. Apple iPhone 3G
    5. Nokia E52
    6. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S
    7. Nokia 6700 Classic
    8. HTC Desire
    9. Nokia 6303 Classic
    10. Samsung B2100
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Now, if hp sync system is what the rumors are suggesting, then why do you need a large screen phone if you can use your tablet for all the large content? Record a video with your phone and watch it on either device? Take photos of your trip, watch the slide show on the tablet? That is so money.
    I don't think you do need a large screen phone.

If a tablet device from HP properly utilizes a small form factor phone, that is the combination I will carry.

I would treat the phone much the way I do my laptop. It would be a "big device" when the "big add-ons" are available (in the case of my laptop - large monitor, extra monitor, real keyboard and mouse, external storage), when the extras aren't available, I'd be in "make do" mode, where what I have is what I use, because it's better than nothing (this is what happens when I undock my laptop, and take it with me).

In the case of the phone/tablet combo, I see the phone being the connectivity device for the tablet, including getting calls on the tablet (through the phone). When the tablet's not around, I'd make do with the smaller key, keypad, etc.

Yeah, I think it's a very workable solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
    No....most people won't buy a tablet...still need a bigger screen.
    And for those people, HP/Palm would have to offer a bigger device, beside the smaller one. In a perfect world, the end user could use that bigger device if/when they decide to buy a tablet.

Wonder if HP has thought of this.... I wonder... hmmm.....
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    Krusell The best selling phones in 2010

1. Apple iPhone 4
    2. Nokia 3720 Classic
    3. HTC HD2
    4. Apple iPhone 3G
    5. Nokia E52
    6. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S
    7. Nokia 6700 Classic
    8. HTC Desire
    9. Nokia 6303 Classic
    10. Samsung B2100
    funny even the article states most people just want a simple and easy to use device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's no debate. Big screen phones are selling right now. A tablet - especially one with yet another data plan - does not counteract this.
    Of course, there's remaing debate. No one has offered this solution yet, so it's untried. Just because it hasn't be done, doesn't mean it can't be done, nor does it mean it can't be done successfully.

There is a difference between interdependency, and interoperability.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think you do need a large screen phone.

If a tablet device from HP properly utilizes a small form factor phone, that is the combination I will carry.

I would treat the phone much the way I do my laptop. It would be a "big device" when the "big add-ons" are available (in the case of my laptop - large monitor, extra monitor, real keyboard and mouse, external storage), when the extras aren't available, I'd be in "make do" mode, where what I have is what I use, because it's better than nothing (this is what happens when I undock my laptop, and take it with me).

In the case of the phone/tablet combo, I see the phone being the connectivity device for the tablet, including getting calls on the tablet (through the phone). When the tablet's not around, I'd make do with the smaller key, keypad, etc.

Yeah, I think it's a very workable solution.

true good point, as well as I think if HP does try to accomadate everyone with their basic needs and wants (small/large phone, small/large tablet etc) they will do just fine I believe.
    though how many people will buy a tablet on contract with any company? I myself would rather buy the wifi variant, and if need be use my phone to tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny even the article states most people just want a simple and easy to use device.
    I wanted to throw this in as perspective. The news in the US has been that android OS is outselling iOS devices. While true, the iPhone4 is the best selling phone. I imagine that the screen size on the iPhone4 and 3GS must be pretty good... or the reality distortion field is very strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole View Post
    I wanted to throw this in as perspective. The news in the US has been that android OS is outselling iOS devices. While true, the iPhone4 is the best selling phone. I imagine that the screen size on the iPhone4 and 3GS must be pretty good... or the reality distortion field is very strong.
    true but also Google has so many phones out there from a dozen of manufactuers on all carriers so of course they would out sell anyone at this point. Now to me also in 2010 there was no competiton for Google until the iphone 4 in Q3 and WP7 on 2 carriers Q4. So to me with all these other devices coming from other companys, I would like to see what the number will be at the end of this year, I myself think there will be a huge market shift from android.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    When you get a tablet, you automatically do a lot less gaming and viewing of video on your phone. Especially if you're the kind of person who brings their tablet with them everywhere. I have found that I need more memory on my iPad than I do on my iPhone. Audio like podcasts and music are still going to be done on the phone, especially, if you are listening via 3G
    No tablet here yet, but I would imagine I'd do more video viewing, especially if my content were readily available. I've gotten on a plane many times, and wished I'd been able to easily download/convert/sync/whatever a video I own onto my Pre for viewing on the plane. I'd definitely go through the trouble ahead of time with a tablet. I gave up doing that with my laptop a long time ago. Too many times the battery would die right before the end, and the current 17" monitor is just too bulky.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast