Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The answer is purely subjective, based on your needs. I would still get a large screen phone if I had a slate.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I shouldn't feel like I have to buy 2 devices with 2 data plans (or 1 data plan and using tethering) just to accomplish what I could get done with 1 decent sized phone.

Honestly, I'd be fine with a souped up Pre 2 at this point.
    I have bad eyes so i want a big screen. I also want a tablet to replace a laptop for portablr use and simple stuff. For example. I dont need a laptop at school or if i am going to visit someone or going on vacation ect. But i would like a bigger screen then my laptop to browse watch stuff ect. Netbooks are eh, but a tablet is a true mobile companion as its an always on always ready touch optomized device and paired with a bluetooth keyboard and right case, this thing is much more mobile and easy to use as well as productive enough for most traveling. Thus id like it along with a big screen phone. I also will be developing for tablet wiyh enyo as soon as its released to the public so ill be able to test out my apps as well. So from both a developer and consumer view having both is awesome. And id still want a large phone screen for reading up things in the car, at the store ect. As well as for viewing pictures and such
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Tablets are imo gimmick devices until they can fully replace a laptop until then they are over sized smart phones minus the phone.
    There have been devices like this for years. They didn't sell.
    i'm hoping for a slight increase in screen size over the pre, but i do think that a having a webOS tablet would reduce my dependancy on my phones screen. still, for those times wen whipping out a tablet is innopropriate, i'd like a slightly larger phone...
    Phones are for simple, quick use tasks. Tablets are for simple, extended use tasks. Laptops and PCs are for complex tasks.

Phone screen size is subjective and based on your personal level of comfort in view-ability and dexterity.
    I'm still not getting this mid-sized slate/tablet thing. I really wouldn't want to go too much bigger than the Pre, maybe 4" or 4.3 or whathaveyou. Downsizing from a 24" monitor to a 7 or 10" slate isn't winning me over either, mind you I've never liked or had to use laptops, so I guess that's where my bias stems from.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I don't care what anyone says, but a tablet is just a toy. It is the latest fad because a certain fruit-logo company made them popular, but they have no real use.

I will prefer a smartphone with a 4-inch high resolution screen over a fancy tablet any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    There have been devices like this for years. They didn't sell.
    You mean tablets? Of course, last year the iPad sold a whole lot. So yeah, they didn't sell until the iPad came around.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I'll fine with a more solid 3.1 inch screen phone, slider or slab
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    I am currently using a pixi+ for my everyday phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    i also believe that a screen as big as the pixi's is big enough. ..
    The pixi as a smartphone is a joke. It's a pinky phone made for women sipping tea.
    If all you do is texting get a pager with a keyboard. Viewing web pages on a screen that small is a chore, why bother.

Having a larger screen on smartphone does not negate also having a tablet. Tablet's are fine when you are in a situation where you can whip it out. If your in a store and want to review a product, I won't be so inclined to dig in a bag and whip out a tablet, that's if I even have it with me. I would prefer to view the product on a reasonable large screen smartphone. If your in the street in a unfamiliar city, or even in a part of town you do not frequent, much more handy to whip out your large screen smartphone and punch up TomTom or Navigon. Saved me a lot of headaches.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 01/19/2011 at 08:56 PM.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The pixi as a smartphone is a joke. It's a pinky phone made for women sipping tea.
    If all you do is texting get a pager with a keyboard. Viewing web pages on a screen that small is a chore, why bother.

Having a larger screen on smartphone does not negate also having a tablet. Tablet's are fine when you are in a situation where you can whip it out. If your in a store and want to review a product, I won't be so inclined to dig in a bag and whip out a tablet, that's if I even have it with me. I would prefer to view the product on a reasonable large screen smartphone. If your in the street in a unfamiliar city, or even in a part of town you do not frequent, much more handy to whip out your large screen smartphone and punch up TomTom or Navigon. Saved me a lot of headaches.
    I guess i've been lucky with websites because i haven't had any issue viewing websites on the screen. Most websites these days have mobile versions anyways and they are just going to increase. I guess if you're trying to look at nasa photos on your phone, a bigger screen would be useful.

I can access email (multiple accounts), text, make phone calls, browse websites, take pictures, record videos, run multiple third party applications all day with the pixi. So what's your definition of a smart phone?

If the tablet automatically syncs, then you don't need it with you. The content will be there when you get home. Hence the lightweight phone, tablet combo...
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, but a tablet is just a toy. It is the latest fad because a certain fruit-logo company made them popular, but they have no real use.

I will prefer a smartphone with a 4-inch high resolution screen over a fancy tablet any day.
    Yep, I've been saying the same thing about the interwebs for almost 20 years. It's just a fad invented by that crazy Al Gore fellow.

These newfangled tablets are headed for the same scrap heap as the world web thing.
    Not interested in two devices (ie a Slate) at all. I want a beefed up phone with a slightly larger screen and I fear that Feb 9th will bring disappointment. Fingers and toes crossed that I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Phones are for simple, quick use tasks. Tablets are for simple, extended use tasks. Laptops and PCs are for complex tasks.

Phone screen size is subjective and based on your personal level of comfort in view-ability and dexterity.
    Perfect post
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Now, if hp sync system is what the rumors are suggesting, then why do you need a large screen phone if you can use your tablet for all the large content? Record a video with your phone and watch it on either device? Take photos of your trip, watch the slide show on the tablet? That is so money.
    I believe for some people the answer is yes. Its not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
    No....most people won't buy a tablet...still need a bigger screen.
    I think tablets will replace the need for laptop for most casual users. Although this is years into the future and not something that will happen over night. Why do I think this? With the Playbook and possibly HP Topaz, you have more ability to do real work with it and the possibility of perfect sync between your devices -- most casual users will replace their laptop for a cheaper tablet. Especially if Sprint announces a data plan thats for your phone and tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's no debate. Big screen phones are selling right now. A tablet - especially one with yet another data plan - does not counteract this.
    If that changes, tablets will sell more.

Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Tablets are imo gimmick devices until they can fully replace a laptop until then they are over sized smart phones minus the phone.
    They are not a gimmick. For most people, all they do is surf the web. Why spend 500-1000 dollars on a cheap laptop for that when you can spend 300-600 on a top of the line tablet that is more portable and better suited to do what you do: surf the web?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post

They are not a gimmick. For most people, all they do is surf the web. Why spend 500-1000 dollars on a cheap laptop for that when you can spend 300-600 on a top of the line tablet that is more portable and better suited to do what you do: surf the web?
    I need a phone and I need a computer. I'll take a desk top rather than tablet for my computer needs thanks.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The idea that people will start buying smaller phones is simply nonsense. Unless I'm willing to carry my tablet everywhere I go, what does it matter what size screen it has or how it allows me to access media on a larger screen than my phone. Phones are mobile, tablets are nomadic.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I need a phone and I need a computer. I'll take a desk top rather than tablet for my computer needs thanks.
    I didn't say everyone. I said casual users. I know myself all I do with my laptop is surf the web. I don't play games, besides Evony. So why do I need to spend 1000 dollars on a laptop when I can spend 300 on a tablet? Can you tell me that?

I am a casual user of the computer. However, tablets aren't for everyone. But most casual users will end up adapting tablets instead of buying new laptops. Apple knows this as well, and I bet HP knows as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The idea that people will start buying smaller phones is simply nonsense. Unless I'm willing to carry my tablet everywhere I go, what does it matter what size screen it has or how it allows me to access media on a larger screen than my phone. Phones are mobile, tablets are nomadic.
    Nonsense? I have no problem with the word, but you've yet to overcome any of the arguments against what's been said in favor of the idea.

Here's my use of the phone.

At home, I watch videos, play a few games, browse the web, send and receive emails and watch videos when I'm bored with whatever's on TV. During that time, I have the laptop in a docking station nearby, but I prefer to use the phone, because it's easier to carry around.

I then climb on my bike, turn on the bluetooth headset, and do my 40 minute commute to work. During this time, twice a day, my phone is used solely to listen to music and send/receive phone calls, during which time I don't touch it.

At work, I'm then browsing the web (some, probably too much), reading emails, and working on projects or taking care of computer issues; allmost all of which is done on a computer. I pick the phone up and carry it to ensure people can reach me when I'm away from my desk, and I occasionally listen to music on it or play a video. All of this time, I have my work laptop (in one office) or a desktop computer (in the server room) nearby.

Most of the other times, I read text messages on it, emails, or take phone calls.

In the first scenario, ad tablet that uses a phone would be perfect. In the second scenario, a tablet would not improve things, but then using a smaller phone would not diminsh things. In the third, a tablet would be marginally better.

It's only in that last scenario that the combination we're talking about would be worse, and that's primarily because I would typically not take the tablet with me. I doubt I'd take it to Church, resturants, or when I'm pleasure riding on the bike. On the other hand, I'd love to have a tablet that was connected to the net on my sailboat, it would be perfect there, but I digress a little.

So, my "decison" would have to be, would the pluses above outweigh the minuses enough to make me buy. For me it would. I think for lots of others, it would. My preference would be a form factor much like the Pre, but I suspect that's not going to be one of the options (just a gut feeling), so I would (if the combo is offered) go with a smaller phone and a tablet.

Now, I could see how some wouldn't consider it. But is the idea "nonsense"? Hardly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast