Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the news on Endgadget (from Digitimes) is March for the new PalmPad, fulfilling HP promise of "Early 2011".

HP's first webOS tablet may start shipping in March, fulfill longstanding promise -- Engadget

That sounds like it fits better with a February event - "We will be shipping next month"

<<inflamatory remark deleted by mod>>
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/19/2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Did you check out the front page of P|C?
    Sprint Love
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    HP still hasn't even shipped the Slate which they took orders for in November.

HP Slate orders still delayed, still blaming 'high volume of orders' -- Engadget
    I didn't even know they were still releasing that. They probably decided it wasn't worth releasing.

HP Slate orders still delayed, still blaming 'high volume of orders' -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think some folks will soon be asked if they'd like that crow original recipe or extry crispy.
    By whom? Let's all remember that this is a technology forum, and the point is to discuss the technology, not to try to figure out who was right about what when. Let's keep focused on the technology, not the people debating the technology.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

[url= Slate orders still delayed, still blaming 'high volume of orders' -- Engadget[/url]
    Am I in the wrong thread? Bc I thought this thread was referring to a post on Engadget that mentions that Topaz (9 inch) tab would be shipping in March.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    By whom? Let's all remember that this is a technology forum, and the point is to discuss the technology, not to try to figure out who was right about what when. Let's keep focused on the technology, not the people debating the technology.
    Several people who immediately jumped on the OMG HP isn't shipping a tab until Sept, they're going to be behind Xoom, Playbook, Ipad 2 game is over train. Nevermind that the initial info that was presented only mentioned Opal and not Topaz even though we knew there would be at least two tabs. But some decided to avoid pausing for a min to think about what was really being presented so that they could doom and gloom like they normally do.

So I see where Hparson is coming from. But yes this is a tech forum.
    The fact that HP still hasn't delivered the Slate after all these months might reflect on their ability to deliver the webOS tablet.
    Might? Really. Are we to that point now on this forum where certain straws have to be grasped? With the Slate, didn't HP decided to produce it on a on-demand basis? How is the Slate situation even remotely similar to what they're doing with their webOS tabs?

I can't really follow your logic of Might when it comes to two items that are targeting different markets with a different approach.
  10.    #10  
    The fact that HP still hasn't delivered the Slate after all these months might reflect on their ability to deliver the webOS tablet.
    There is nothing to indicate that. There is nothing to indicate that they use the same parts, or have the same focus. In other words, it's totally non-related.
    Trust me the webOS devices are on track for release, there's a very strict aggressive schedule in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Trust me the webOS devices are on track for release, there's a very strict aggressive schedule in place.
    Not sure how to read your posts. You're either someone "in the know", throwing out crumbs for the PC birds or someone who wants to pretend to be in the know and spread misinformation.

Salt grain taken.
    And on the subject of the thread....good for them if they do. There's no way HP doesn't have an "aggressive schedule" given the competition in this segment. I tend to agree with Tim Cook's comments yesterday that despite the flashy announcements and cool demos, there still isn't any real competition for Apple in the tablet market yet.

I personally think the 7-inch may stand a batter chance of competing on price, convenience, and focus, but we will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There is nothing to indicate that. There is nothing to indicate that they use the same parts, or have the same focus. In other words, it's totally non-related.
    completely different teams as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And on the subject of the thread....good for them if they do. There's no way HP doesn't have an "aggressive schedule" given the competition in this segment. I tend to agree with Tim Cook's comments yesterday that despite the flashy announcements and cool demos, there still isn't any real competition for Apple in the tablet market yet.

I personally think the 7-inch may stand a batter chance of competing on price, convenience, and focus, but we will see.
    YET being the operative word. Outside of the Galaxy Tab, there isn't any comp for Apple. But just like with the Iphone, they'll get a heaping amount of Android tabs, Playbook and HP's four tabs. So it's coming. Come back in 3 years and tell me how relevant Cook's comments are.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Like certain people "jump" on every "A Sprint/Palm/HP rep told me..." thread that hits the Future Palm Devices subforum without "pausing to think about what is really being presented"?

People react to whatever information they have presented to them, especially when the official channels from HP are either silent or playing coy. That's what these forums are for. It's just petty to keep a scoresheet on who believes the best rumors in order to disparage specific people.
    I do agree that those Sprint thread are silly but don't turn into doom & gloom threads.
    I'm just pointing out that HP had a prototype of the Slate to show at CES over a year ago. Then they launched it and took orders. Months later, those orders have not been filled. What that tells me is there may be manufacturing delays due to part shortages of components such as LCD screens, memory, or whatever.

It also tells me that perhaps HP doesn't consider the on-time delivery of any single product to be a do-or-die issue. They have hundreds of products that they release every year in contrast to Apple which has about four major hardware releases per year.
    To be fair, the Slate is almost being "made to order" due to the complete shift in strategy and market demand in the interim from when it was first announced. HP is going to have produce WebOS hardware in much larger quantities, so when they do eventually set a target date for shipping...it will be met, barring any software/OS issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    YET being the operative word. Outside of the Galaxy Tab, there isn't any comp for Apple. But just like with the Iphone, they'll get a heaping amount of Android tabs, Playbook and HP's four tabs. So it's coming. Come back in 3 years and tell me how relevant Cook's comments are.
    In three years, Apple will have sold well over 20-30 million iPads. That's not to say that other people can't sell them as well, but his perspective isn't wrong. There is no competition yet, and probably won't be for the foreseeable future.
    I'm just pointing out that HP had a prototype of the Slate to show at CES over a year ago. Then they launched it and took orders. Months later, those orders have not been filled. What that tells me is there may be manufacturing delays due to part shortages of components such as LCD screens, memory, or whatever.

It also tells me that perhaps HP doesn't consider the on-time delivery of any single product to be a do-or-die issue. They have hundreds of products that they release every year in contrast to Apple which has about four major hardware releases per year.
    No manufacturing delays, just conflict of roadmap priorities and debating business interests between Windows 7 and webOS on tablets going forward. Hearing about windows move to ARM didn't help either.

In short, HP Slate 500 is to HP what an annoying ex-gf is to us.
    New article from engadget with some more "info"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast