Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Everybody got Whiplash yet?

No?

Engadget now says Topaz will be three months before Opal, which means June. That's when it "ships". That's not necessarily when carriers will have it for sale, however, I would imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Everybody got Whiplash yet?

No?

Engadget now says Topaz will be three months before Opal, which means June. That's when it "ships". That's not necessarily when carriers will have it for sale, however, I would imagine.
    The article I read said that the production of the tablets will begin in March. That makes more sense with this new June release date... Seems we'll have to wait for HP's event to get clarification.
    Actually, both articles specifically say the Topaz will begin "shipping" in March/three months before Opal. One is sourced Digitimes (ehh, 50/50) and other is sourced from Engadget's own sources.

But we will see. Engadget seems to have so much detailed info, I am thinking their timeframe is more believable. The end of their latest report has a depressing note about the proposed phones, tho.....
    Actually, both articles specifically say the Topaz will begin "shipping" in March/three months before Opal. One is sourced Digitimes (ehh, 50/50) and other is sourced from Engadget's own sources.

But we will see. Engadget seems to have so much detailed info, I am thinking their timeframe is more believable. The end of their latest report has a depressing note about the proposed phones, tho.....
    Phones? Who needs em. You just need a tablet. And big pockets i guess.

BTW..if the tablet is going to get forwarded calls and ring as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Phones? Who needs em. You just need a tablet. And big pockets i guess.

BTW..if the tablet is going to get forwarded calls and ring as well...
    I'm curious to the technical facility of that call forwarding feature. The carrier versions are definitely going to charge you for a data plan for the tablet. Does this mean you have to pay for another voice line too? Are the WiFi only people "SOL"?
    I'm curious to the technical facility of that call forwarding feature. The carrier versions are definitely going to charge you for a data plan for the tablet. Does this mean you have to pay for another voice line too? Are the WiFi only people "SOL"?
    Nope, think tethering through Bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Nope, think tethering through Bluetooth.
    The tablet then becomes a bluetooth speakerphone?....ok.

Eh. I take the phone comment with a grain of salt. 'Nothing too amazing'. Person didn't say that the phones weren't great, but too amazing to Joe maybe different to Jenny.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    The tablet then becomes a bluetooth speakerphone?....ok.
    Only when your webOS smartphone is docked via the touchstone and call forwarding is enabled (when docked) on the device itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Trust me the webOS devices are on track for release, there's a very strict aggressive schedule in place.
    Can you elaborate? Can we expect to be able to buy Topaz's in March? Will they be just wifi or offered on carries?

Do you know anything about what's going on with Sprint?
    It amazes me how people still fail to comprehend the size, power and influence of HP, the largest tech company in the world. Let me make this clear: the only advantage Apple has over HP, right now, is marketing. Period. And HP has not even started marketing yet. Not R&D expenditure. Not talent. Not manufacturing capacity. Not distribution channels. Not supplier and retailer relationships, upstream and downstream. Not cash. If HP decides they want to start opening HP stores in malls in every major city in the US, they can. HP is a massive, massive, massive company. I've been to their campus in Houston. It's like a university. And that's not even their headquarters.

Comments that suggest that HP neither has the willpower nor capacity to deliver compelling products on time and meet demand are laughable at best. The Slate was never intended to be a high volume product of any sort, that's why they're not meeting supply right now. If they forecast sales right, HP can deliver what they say they will deliver on time. Believe me, they can.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The HP Slate runs Windows 7 which is a pretty established operating system of which they already sell dozens of millions of notebooks per year. So, you are telling me that HP is so much more confident about an initial order of webOS tablets running an OS that most people have never used nor heard of? That seems kind of a stretch.
    HP is hardly the only individual to put out a Windows slate before. The issue is that Windows is generally not a good environment for a finger focused tablet. You could also note HP's focus with the slate, which was enterprise not the general public. The slate was also announced, and pitched by MS itself I believe, prior to the purchase of WebOS. It wouldn't surprise me if that, upon said purchase, their focus shifted but at the same time they wanted to at least release what was announced. By limiting supply they were able to try and turn what was likely to be poor sales into something that looked postive due to "demand".

The structure of the slate and the likely palm tablet seem that they're going to be significantly different in parts and design. One is going to be running a touch focused OS that HP specifically went out and purchased the rights too with hopes of leveraging it across multiple formats...the other ran a desktop OS that they lisence. One looks like it's going to be pushed as a device for all markets while the other was focused almost solely on business.

Aside from them both being a tablet form factor and coming from HP the similarities, and thus the info you can pull from HPs treatement of one or the other, are pretty much non-existant.
    <<thread cleaned>>

We just deleted dozens of off-topic posts from this thread. If you have something to contribute about the expected delivery of HP tablets, please share your thoughts here.

If you talk about other members, you will receive an infraction. If you say that other members are wrong or will soon eat crow, you will receive an infraction.

Stop it. Last chance.
    Ok I have some crazy thoughts, that these leaks were intentional in the bastion of Apple Endgagdet and the whole available in September and such... What if they just are tricking the competition, that it would be sometime probably march probably april and so on and some of the phones/tablets are not ready to ship that early and the hardware is not that good... and then on 9th they say all the products are available immediately in EU/USA and some other countries and the hardware is comparable if not better that the still not released iphone. just thought
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Several people who immediately jumped on the OMG HP isn't shipping a tab until Sept, they're going to be behind Xoom, Playbook, Ipad 2 game is over train. Nevermind that the initial info that was presented only mentioned Opal and not Topaz even though we knew there would be at least two tabs. But some decided to avoid pausing for a min to think about what was really being presented so that they could doom and gloom like they normally do.

So I see where Hparson is coming from. But yes this is a tech forum.
    The only doom and gloom I got from that leak was no sprint. More and more its looking that the sprint users get the short end of the stick. And this follows what I was told by a friend about a at&t release of one new hp model smart phone later this year.

It looks like AT&T will be the launch partner for HP webOS v2 (reboot). Too bad soo sad. I won't switch instantly but id likly switch once the contract is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    The only doom and gloom I got from that leak was no sprint. More and more its looking that the sprint users get the short end of the stick. And this follows what I was told by a friend about a at&t release of one new hp model smart phone later this year.

It looks like AT&T will be the launch partner for HP webOS v2 (reboot). Too bad soo sad. I won't switch instantly but id likly switch once the contract is up.
    We don't know that Sprint isn't going to be shown any love. I suspect they'll get webOS devices.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    We don't know that Sprint isn't going to be shown any love. I suspect they'll get webOS devices.
    Let's say that slide was real, and it showed the marketing with at&t and verizon. I wouldn't think a company would be like. Ok you can have this one, but not this one. And you can have this, and this. IE; AT&T and Verizon getting a Opel while a Topez goes to sprint.

Especially if these devices are truely going to go hand in hand with syncing and sharing. That would just cause headaces for people. Its a equal launch or not at all I think.

Trust me, I WANT it on sprint.

Once, webOS 2.0 comes to the Palm Pre, I will be perfectly content with a overclocked kernal. webOS 2.0 will help alot of us that want newer devices. Becuase it doesn't make us feel as old.

As mentioned, I'm under contract right now. So im not going anywhere unless I switch before its told and take a gamble (with the get out of jail sprint card terms of service thingy).
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    HP still hasn't even shipped the Slate which they took orders for in November.

HP Slate orders still delayed, still blaming 'high volume of orders' -- Engadget
    I ordered my Slate on Nov 1st.
    It just shipped today.
    Delivery sched for 1/24

80 some odd days later .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I ordered my Slate on Nov 1st.
    It just shipped today.
    Delivery sched for 1/24

80 some odd days later .....
    And just to add, yes the slates have shipped even before that. There has been delays due to availabilty. People should expect delays with a limited launch. If you wait to the last minute to order then your a ***** for thinking otherwise.

This isn't directed to you TTB :-p. Just a addition.
    I'm all for March!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast