1.    #1  
    Do you think the tablet will have touchstone integration? I think it will be an epic fail if it doesnt have some form of touchstone device. However, if it does... oh boy. This forum will have an interesting write up from me doing this: Car+Palm Pre hotspot+ integrated/removable Palm Pad.

Here is a good idea as to what Im talking about.

Im the guy that did : This
    I'm sure that _every_ product from HP Palm will come with touchstone technology as it is in any way technically possible (it may not be possible with a wrist-watch).
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I think the Touchstone is too small to support a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    I think the Touchstone is too small to support a tablet.
    Do you mean electrical current flow or just physically? If physical size is the issue imagine a shroud that HP supplied to allow the touchstone to sit in the middle and support the size of the tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure people would want to buy a charger stand that is bigger than the actual tablet it charges up. One of the reasons to use a tablet is to not take up the desktop space of a notebook.

It need not be larger - just large enough. Imagine a 4"x4" base with a touchstone in the center for example.

Thinking outside the box - what if the induction contact points are along the side and there was a slot shaped base that held the tablet steady with a nook in it for the touchstone? Whatever they do they would be wise to make it work with the phones and the tablets.
    imagine a cover similar to what is available for most iPads that provides support for a touchstone charger in its inclined mode......the possibilities are endless.
    I was wondering if perhaps they were planning to modify this technology to somehow be similar to Apple's MagSafe setup...

Seems they could easily make something similar that works on inductive charging instead of pin connections.
    I think it would be a little challenging to make it work, but definitely could see some sort of something else that is larger that the touchstone would snap into.

Or, maybe they'll come up with a new touchstone that can handle tablets AND phones.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    They make it work with toothbrushes and electric shavers...I think they can work it into a tablet pretty easy. The only challenge is the design aesthetic and practical usage (i.e., make it part of the stand or physical supporting device or work it into the charger cord via small 'socket').
    You'll be plesantly surprised how the touchstone technology will be utilized with consumer webOS devices.
    You may want to read this new engadget article.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    You may want to read this new engadget article.
    What that does not clarify is if the existing touchstones can be used for the new device. I speculate that if it does it will use some type of shroud to provide the extra support for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    What that does not clarify is if the existing touchstones can be used for the new device. I speculate that if it does it will use some type of shroud to provide the extra support for this.
    Nope, they will be new touchstones, allowing the tablet to be 'nearly vertical'.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Nope, they will be new touchstones, allowing the tablet to be 'nearly vertical'.
    Would those new touchstones also support the existing phones or only new devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by remmy123 View Post
    Do you think the tablet will have touchstone integration? I think it will be an epic fail if it doesnt have some form of touchstone device. However, if it does... oh boy. This forum will have an interesting write up from me doing this: Car+Palm Pre hotspot+ integrated/removable Palm Pad.

Here is a good idea as to what Im talking about.

Im the guy that did : This
    Touchstone for tablet. You'll be charging your tablet on the Rock of Gibraltar.
  16.    #16  
    I wouldnt care, mine would be permanently mounted behind some felt.
    Some members sugested in the article comments that the HP TouchPad that was trademarked in Canada may be the Touchstone for the tablet

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    that's great! combined with exhibition mode and new cloud services, one can use the tablet as a phenomenal picture frame that always has the latest fotos.

e.g. the family at home can watch the fotos I take abroad within minutes. even they can be shown fully automatical so it's like a surprise if you come home and pass by the tablet you say "oh look, there are new photos".

great, when I think of the whole family having palm devices... :-)
    The key to touchstone is the ability NOT to plug something in. It's really not about supporting the device at a readable angle. I'm assuming they'll create a support that also has inductive charging capability for all WebOS devices. I could imagine a flexible cord with a magnetic plate on the end that attaches to the Pad. Then, whatever the stand or support, inductive charging can happen.
    It will probably have touchstone technology. The current touchstone however will not support it, from a sheer size and weight factor alone. I believe there will be a vertical dock that will be made available at launch time to accommodate the slate. A much better form factor for it (aka: picture frame mode, clock, etc.)
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!