• No, palm is just catching up

21 23.60%
  • Whatever it is just make it available in March

44 49.44%
  • I just like to press buttons.

10 11.24%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the current palm pad enough? What do you guys think? I know we dont know everything and so at this point its just guesses. But those picture look real.

Do you think Palm is just catching up or this notebook will blow ipad-2, playbook, and motorolla xoom out into space?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    It will be enough if the iPad does not quadruple the resolution. If Apple pulls out the retina screen, and Palm is still low res, the Palm Pad is DOA.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    It will be enough if the iPad does not quadruple the resolution. If Apple pulls out the retina screen, and Palm is still low res, the Palm Pad is DOA.
    supposed to have doubled in the new one I believe.

We dont know the resolution yet of the palm pads, but I assume they will be of decent quality, enough to call them "hd" at least. or one would hope so.

What I am more surprised is no (seemingly) touchstone with the tablets. Unless A knew all in one dock charger touchstone is made
    Your questions are good, but we just don't have enough info to really answer them.
    I see pandas.
    also no camera on the back..but its just renders at the end of the day. I am sure they wouldn't have left that one out..
    The interesting question is, whether these use Omap 4430 or Omap 4440 processor, as this makes a huge difference.

Omape 4440 is capable of 1080p 3D stereoscopic, what would give it a TREMENDOUS advantage over iPad 1 and all upcoming competition we know about.
    And to be honest....if iPad2 gets retina display (which I believe is true), they cannot give it 3D stereoscopic because this would burn their CPU/GPU unit.

to the camera....I never understood why a tablet needs a backside camera. It needs a decent front-side camera for video-calling. The fotos get made by my phone. I will definitely NOT hold up a 9-inch tablet for making a foto...how stupid would that look (that's like "side-talking" with the nokia n-gage hehehe)
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    The interesting question is, whether these use Omap 4430 or Omap 4440 processor, as this makes a huge difference.

Omape 4440 is capable of 1080p 3D stereoscopic, what would give it a TREMENDOUS advantage over iPad 1 and all upcoming competition we know about.
    And to be honest....if iPad2 gets retina display (which I believe is true), they cannot give it 3D stereoscopic because this would burn their CPU/GPU unit.

to the camera....I never understood why a tablet needs a backside camera. It needs a decent front-side camera for video-calling. The fotos get made by my phone. I will definitely NOT hold up a 9-inch tablet for making a foto...how stupid would that look (that's like "side-talking" with the nokia n-gage hehehe)
    say you were video chatting and wanted to show someone something in your house, etc its a lot easier then just turning the tablet around. anyways its a render, we'll see.

are any of the CPU's you named dual core?
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

I don't think this market is about giving you what you think is absolutely neccessary. They need to provide everything for everybody as best they can. It would be troublesome to put down my Topaz to take a picture on my other phone (that for alot of people may not be a palm phone) then email it to myself so I can view it on my Topaz. It would also look that much more stupid to try and take a photo with a front facing camera lol
    Hard to vote without the option for "can't answer from a leaked photo with no context or facts, so I will defer my answer until the Feb announcement, or even longer if there are still unanswered questions about features/specs/target market/strategy/pricing/etc"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hard to vote without the option for "can't answer from a leaked photo with no context or facts, so I will defer my answer until the Feb announcement, or even longer if there are still unanswered questions about features/specs/target market/strategy/pricing/etc"
    always has to be a sensible one
    This poll is a little silly I will be back after Feb 9th when i get some data.
    Probably not a good place for this, but the tablet article is only about 30 comments behind the sprint article for most comments of the day on Engadget and only 200 behind Steve Jobs sickness. The Comments are virtually impossible to follow at this point but i guess i am just competitive. I guess what i am saying is go post!

Nm this is going to win by a landslide http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/a...avy-android-i/ it is almost like apple knew HP was getting buzz and decided to do a little trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    are any of the CPU's you named dual core?
    both are dual-core

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 4430 is more likely, as it is scheduled for Q1/2011 availability, however if HP works like with TI like hell, maybe they got the 4440 up running and manufactured in enough quantity sooner than expected?
    And the 1,2 GHz number that is collaborated at engadget, doesn't exactly fit with the 4430 maximum of 1GHz but more like a Omap 3640 (single-core) or more hopefully a throttled 4440.

But that's all speculation...
    Smartphones should be the main attraction. The power of the internet, convergence, gps, camera, video recorder, etc...all in your pocket. And with Palm, that usually meant premier organization tools as well.

Is a PalmPad enough? Enough for what? It doesn't go in your pocket. It doesn't go to work with you (or most of us). But probably makes a good e-reader or media viewing device for casual use.

So basically my view is that its not even a start. It starts with smartphones.
    I am more amped to get a palm pad than to switch out my pre. I write in a little shack with no electricity (I'm not the unibomber). I'm hoping for some document editing possibilities. Palm pad + bt keyboard and long battery life, would be great for me. I surf the net a lot from home, mostly on my pre; the palm pad would be a great step up from the pre in that regard.
    Just had a thought, it is likely the resolution of the palm pad will be a multiple of the pre, or the new phones, as it will be easier to scale apps.
    Pads are about consumption. So will be it a good consumption device? Likely. Does it need a camera on the back. No. Myriam Joire from Engadget made a good point about cameras on the back of pads during a Engadget Mobile podcast at CES. They're silly and useless and you look silly holding it up trying to take a pic with it. And I agree with her.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    if hp doesn't have a product to sell soon after feb 9th, they should shut up
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    if hp doesn't have a product to sell soon after feb 9th, they should shut up
    ....the main complaint is that they haven't said anything. Even if you believe that this is a controlled leak they still haven't officially said anything except wait....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast