View Poll Results: Is the leaked Palm Pad enough

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Palm pad is way ahead of ipad-2, moto Xoom, RIM playbook

    14 15.73%
  • No, palm is just catching up

    21 23.60%
  • Whatever it is just make it available in March

    44 49.44%
  • I just like to press buttons.

    10 11.24%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I hope a bunch of big apps get announced on the 9th..
    I'm fully expecting very tight Amazon integration announced. Which is awesome.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I hope a bunch of big apps get announced on the 9th..
    +1
  3. #43  
    it's pretty nice looking. I like all the integration and hope hp includes computer software that does all this stuff also. As nice as the tablet is I still would rather use my 14 in laptop and my cell. It says the palm phones aren't anything amazing but that's expected. There's not much you can do to these phones anymore that would be. It just has to be on par. I think getting everything to run together and working the os is a great move.
  4. #44  
    as far as selling these tablets hp needs to get these in bestbuy and verizon right next those ipad displays. Combine that with a lower price and boom ipad has some competition.
  5. #45  
    Here's a bigger question: will the new webOS tablet be enough to bring developers onboard? The reason I ask is because of the little side note on Engadget's article today: Our tipster also says that the company will launch handsets (note, more than one), but he claims that what he's seen is "nothing too amazing"

    If HP's focus, for the time being, is tablets and don't give the smartphones the love and attention that they need and deserve, what will happen?
  6. #46  
    I know a lot of people are worried about the resolution of the iPad 2 being way better than the HP/Palm device, but I don't think that matters if the device is significantly less expensive.

    I agree that a tight relationship with Amazon may be enough to really make this device take off. Nonetheless I hope that B&N makes an appearance (I already have a few Nooks) and think it is likely considering that HP and B&N already have a relationship: eBooks, Download Free eBooks, eReader - Barnes*&*Noble and HP
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Pads are about consumption. So will be it a good consumption device? Likely. Does it need a camera on the back. No. Myriam Joire from Engadget made a good point about cameras on the back of pads during a Engadget Mobile podcast at CES. They're silly and useless and you look silly holding it up trying to take a pic with it. And I agree with her.
    I do not. Something as simple as taking a pic after a meeting of white-boarding becomes awkward with only a front facing camera. I don't need a back cam on a tablet to take vacation pics but there are many other uses for one.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    The interesting question is, whether these use Omap 4430 or Omap 4440 processor, as this makes a huge difference.

    Omape 4440 is capable of 1080p 3D stereoscopic, what would give it a TREMENDOUS advantage over iPad 1 and all upcoming competition we know about.
    And to be honest....if iPad2 gets retina display (which I believe is true), they cannot give it 3D stereoscopic because this would burn their CPU/GPU unit.



    to the camera....I never understood why a tablet needs a backside camera. It needs a decent front-side camera for video-calling. The fotos get made by my phone. I will definitely NOT hold up a 9-inch tablet for making a foto...how stupid would that look (that's like "side-talking" with the nokia n-gage hehehe)
    Yes, I too would like to see a webOS slate based on the OMAP 4440. TI is sampling the chip now. Just a SWAG, but I doubt we will see anything generally available with this part, from HP or others, until Q3. The rumors say two tablets. My guess: the first will use an OMAP 4430. The second, shipping later, a 4440. Doesn't mean we won't see slideware or even a 4440-based demo device on February 9. Who knows? Maybe HP could go the Snapdragon or Tegra route. We'll know soon enough.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    I know a lot of people are worried about the resolution of the iPad 2 being way better than the HP/Palm device, but I don't think that matters if the device is significantly less expensive.
    I doubt it would be. HP may make products from low end to high end, but I have seen almost no examples of them significantly undercutting rivals in price using roughly equivalent components. Their netbooks cost pretty much what everybody else's netbooks cost. Same goes for almost every laptop, desktop, printer, and ink cartridge I have seen.

    And if carriers are offering these devices, they will have plenty of say on what end users will pay, and it won't be a lot less than iPad unless they don't sell and they are trying to blow them out.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    I know a lot of people are worried about the resolution of the iPad 2 being way better than the HP/Palm device, but I don't think that matters if the device is significantly less expensive.

    I agree that a tight relationship with Amazon may be enough to really make this device take off. Nonetheless I hope that B&N makes an appearance (I already have a few Nooks) and think it is likely considering that HP and B&N already have a relationship: eBooks, Download Free eBooks, eReader - Barnes*&*Noble and HP
    also noted already that the ipad 2 most likely wont have a higher/retna display.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    also noted already that the ipad 2 most likely wont have a higher/retna display.
    Daring Fireball: Cold Water on the iPad 2 Retina Display Hype
  12. #52  
    there it is thanks couldnt find it.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    there it is thanks couldnt find it.
    That's just speculation, on Jon's part. He's been wrong many times before. So take it with a grain of salt.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That's just speculation, on Jon's part. He's been wrong many times before. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Yep, i think it could go either way. Good reasons either way. Both engadget and Gruber have been solid in past.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Why would you go exclusive, once the product is released to non-exclusive carriers its lost 6 months of its life cycle ?
    The Xoom is only on Verizon. Same with the Motorola Droid series of phones. The Pre series of phones started off exclusive to Sprint, etc, etc.

    If a carrier is willing to pay a set sum of money to the manufacturer to make a device exclusive, the manufacturer is willing to listen.
  16. #56  
    @ display resolution:

    the iphone 4 has this ****ing amazing retina display, yeah woooohoo, but wait! Lets do some physics. How big is a pixel and what is the common distance between your eye and the device? I am not used to kiss my phone or to wear it as my glasses. It is all just a marketing gag. It is like the megapixelrace in modern digital cameras, the more the better for the dumb. Take an iphone 4 an 3gs and a pre or n97 in your hand and use it like you normally would and tell me if you can really see such a better picture.

    If you kiss it or use it as a facepalm or just type with your nose, than you will sure see a marginal difference, but it nothing more as a marketing joke.

    @exclusive
    HP needs money! Why would they cut the group of potential buyers? They should see it for any network and without branding or lock. Just sell it and make some money!
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    @ display resolution:

    the iphone 4 has this ****ing amazing retina display, yeah woooohoo, but wait! Lets do some physics. How big is a pixel and what is the common distance between your eye and the device? I am not used to kiss my phone or to wear it as my glasses. It is all just a marketing gag. It is like the megapixelrace in modern digital cameras, the more the better for the dumb. Take an iphone 4 an 3gs and a pre or n97 in your hand and use it like you normally would and tell me if you can really see such a better picture.

    If you kiss it or use it as a facepalm or just type with your nose, than you will sure see a marginal difference, but it nothing more as a marketing joke.

    @exclusive
    HP needs money! Why would they cut the group of potential buyers? They should see it for any network and without branding or lock. Just sell it and make some money!
    It's all a marketing "gimmick" until you compare a device like the iPhone 4 against another device that has a significantly lower DPI screen. The difference is just amazing.

    I can't even begin to describe, it's something that one has to experience for themselves.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's all a marketing "gimmick" until you compare a device like the iPhone 4 against another device that has a significantly lower DPI screen. The difference is just amazing.

    I can't even begin to describe, it's something that one has to experience for themselves.
    Really??? Bc I've experienced my sister's Iphone 4 on several occasions and for some reason I don't get the magical feeling when viewing it's screen. Not like the feeling I got when I went from a standard def tv to a HD tv. It's not that dramatic of a difference. It's nice but it ain't standard dvd compared to Blu-ray type of diff.

    But at this point why does it matter? Everyone and their momma is coming out with 960 x 640 reso screens and HP will do the same.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Really??? Bc I've experienced my sister's Iphone 4 on several occasions and for some reason I don't get the magical feeling when viewing it's screen. Not like the feeling I got when I went from a standard def tv to a HD tv. It's not that dramatic of a difference. It's nice but it ain't standard dvd compared to Blu-ray type of diff.

    But at this point why does it matter? Everyone and their momma is coming out with 960 x 640 reso screens and HP will do the same.
    Your dilemma might be better addressed with an optometrist. The difference is subjective based on eyesight. After using a iPhone 4 for awhile, try going back to a pixi or pre. You'll run back to the iphone screaming no mas.
  20. #60  
    I was used to have an iphone 4 and i did not have this magical feeling. Watching the first bluray on a fullhd tv was something very amazing, but on such a small screen it is more like "Oh, yeah it is slightly sharper."

    Like i said before, if you are used to use your device in a distance of 40-50cm and ask a person if its worth the additional price, i dont believe he will say: "Hell yeah!"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions