• No, palm is just catching up

21 23.60%
  • Whatever it is just make it available in March

44 49.44%
  • I just like to press buttons.

10 11.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Your questions are good, but we just don't have enough info to really answer them.
    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Pads are about consumption. So will be it a good consumption device? Likely. Does it need a camera on the back. No. Myriam Joire from Engadget made a good point about cameras on the back of pads during a Engadget Mobile podcast at CES. They're silly and useless and you look silly holding it up trying to take a pic with it. And I agree with her.
    Why do you think taking a pic with what is basically a larger phone is silly?

What about scanning apps? Ability to take video?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Have a March release date is the most important thing.

If they aren't on the shelves till Summer, it appears to be dead on arrival IMO.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If tablets are all about consumption then what the heck has Palm been doing for the past year? One would have to assume that Palm has been working on their pad webOS at least since the iPad was announced a year ago. Web browser, email client, user interface, document reader, media player - all of these already existed in webOS. Why would they need until June to release it if it's just for consumption?
    Probably because webOS needed a lot of work for it. Now you got a device without a kb but because of its size, needs a different UI as well. Look how long 2.0 has been out and still not pushed out to older devices.

But one form factor isn't all they're doing. They're trying to get webOS set up for netbooks, slab phones, tablets, phones with kbs, etc all at once. While still trying to add in features or fixes. That slows things down.

They're trying to launch an ecosystem, not just one device.
    HP promised a good batterylife and with ENYO as framework i believe it is a step ahead of ipad (see http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pa...apps-enyo.html)

But it is again a race against time and a question of marketing. Enyo framework is a really well thoughed idea for a multiplatform workflow. ipad and iphone are just like the same device just with different size. You cant use the one to work with the other, but the palmpad is build to be the workstation for you device. It is a brilliant idea!

PS: The pad i looking very nice designed! For me this is a good sign, because this means the new smartphone maybe also nice
    I think they should tackle both consumption AND creation. I get angry when im trying to create something, but cant, on my phone or ipad. All these devices should also be a utility. Tools need to be mobile too.
    if the webOS pad isnt enough HP says its not all its got up its sleeve !!

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...-engadget.html
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Is the PalmPad enough? Who knows? I will give you an opinion when I know the specifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If tablets are all about consumption then what the heck has Palm been doing for the past year? One would have to assume that Palm has been working on their pad webOS at least since the iPad was announced a year ago. Web browser, email client, user interface, document reader, media player - all of these already existed in webOS. Why would they need until June to release it if it's just for consumption?
    IDK. Why would RIM, Moto, Asus, Vizio and numerous others have been doing for the past year? One would assume that Moto, RUM, Asus, and Vizio have been working on their pad QNX and Android at least since the iPad was announced a year ago. Web browser, email client, user interface, document reader, media player - all of these already existed in Android and Blackberry OS. Why would they need until March, June and July to release them if it's just for consumption?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Probably because webOS needed a lot of work for it. Now you got a device without a kb but because of its size, needs a different UI as well. Look how long 2.0 has been out and still not pushed out to older devices.

But one form factor isn't all they're doing. They're trying to get webOS set up for netbooks, slab phones, tablets, phones with kbs, etc all at once. While still trying to add in features or fixes. That slows things down.

They're trying to launch an ecosystem, not just one device.
    Yep. They had to build a different framework for webOS so that it's use on multiple form factors would work seamlessly.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I would want a camera on the back specifically for apps like layar.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Pads are about consumption. So will be it a good consumption device? Likely. Does it need a camera on the back. No. Myriam Joire from Engadget made a good point about cameras on the back of pads during a Engadget Mobile podcast at CES. They're silly and useless and you look silly holding it up trying to take a pic with it. And I agree with her.
    Limited thinking and imagination. Who cares with Myriam Joire has to say? Just one person with an opinion. How many other things that seemed silly at inception and turned out to become the norm. I thought the iPad would bomb with a IOS interface. It seemed "silly" at the time.
    Im hoping hp is taking this extra time to work on leap frogging the ipad, and then perhaps itll b on par with ipad 2. Or else theyll be behind.
    I think playing catch-up isn't going to cut it. They're not going to beat anyone on the hardware, it's impossible to do for a reasonable price. All they can do is keep up with the leading edge, maybe lead it in some way for a few months.

So if hardware is no advantage, the apps will make Android and iOS tablets a winner almost conclusively...unless there's something else. There has to be some new trick that it can do, something that no one else is doing. It COULD be this seamless transition between your phone, tablet, netbook, printer, whatever. If you could put one down and carry on with something else and lose nothing in the process and not have to worry about syncing anything, that would be valuable, and no one else could pull that off any time soon.

No matter what they do, if they don't bring something new and fairly revolutionary, it's dead. I think they will bring something no one expects, minds will be blown, and the game will be afoot. Whatever it is, it ain't in those pictures.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    All I can say for sure is that it will be enough for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    supposed to have doubled in the new one I believe.

We dont know the resolution yet of the palm pads, but I assume they will be of decent quality, enough to call them "hd" at least. or one would hope so.

What I am more surprised is no (seemingly) touchstone with the tablets. Unless A knew all in one dock charger touchstone is made
    Double the resolution, quadruple the amount of actual pixels.

I'm going to guess at least 1024x768 to so they can qualify it as an HD screen.

I really wasn't expecting a Touchstone anyway for the tablet. It will be pretty sweet however to forward calls and texts to your tablet while your phone is on the Touchstone.

My vote is that it's available by March. If both are coming September, HP is going to lose people to the Xoom, Playbook or iPad 2.
    Well the leaked info sheet showing September, 2011 as a launch date is conspicuously missing Sprint. Anybody notice that? How about if the Palm Pad launches in March, but is exclusive to Sprint for 6 months?
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    Why would you go exclusive, once the product is released to non-exclusive carriers its lost 6 months of its life cycle ?
    I hope a bunch of big apps get announced on the 9th..
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast