Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everybody is buzzing about the tablet leaks, but there is some interesting info partially obscured at the bottom of Engadget's slide of release info. HP's marketing collateral says:

"....forward calls and text messages while your phone charges, seamlessly move app and content experiences from phone or PC to slate".

Interesting, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, they did use the buzz word "seamlessly" which is about as descriptive as using "magically".
    Seamlessly = Magic (according to Steve Jobs and Arthur C. Clarke):

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
    English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )
    hip hip hooray!
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I saw that too & was coming to comment! That is FREAKIN AWESOME!!! I love that we are not going to have to re-purchase everything brand new for new devices!!! THIS is how you do it!!!
    I think it also means that the apps will be big versions of the apps we have now. Not optimized or new all together. :-(
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hangman0000 View Post
    I think it also means that the apps will be big versions of the apps we have now. Not optimized or new all together. :-(
    Well, I think Brighthouse and AppBookShop might have something to say about that, buddy!

Come on, Enyo-enabled "The Dog Book".....
    How'd you come up with that, that's up to the developer, you can program one app for different hardware if you know which device the app is running on...and I think it also hints of how powerful the smartphone's should be, because they may be capable of processing the same data as a tablet equally, just using different resolutions or templates
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Everybody is buzzing about the tablet leaks, but there is some interesting info partially obscured at the bottom of Engadget's slide of release info. HP's marketing collateral says:

"....forward calls and text messages while your phone charges, seamlessly move app and content experiences from phone or PC to slate".

Interesting, no?
    This is very interesting but there is one bit of this that I can't quite get my head around.

HP: This is our amazing new device! Look at the functions it has that the competition does not! You'll be able to get your hands on this device in Eight months.

Competition: Ah-ha!

Six months later

Competition: Ah-ha, this is our amazing updated device, looking at the functions it has.
    If this is as good as it sounds, I can't understand the big gap between demo and launch, I'm *hoping* that the launch dates at engadget are hopelessly wrong.
    Sweet, new subforum. Eagerly awaiting the PalmPad/Topaz/Opal and interconnectivity!
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    How'd you come up with that, that's up to the developer, you can program one app for different hardware if you know which device the app is running on...and I think it also hints of how powerful the smartphone's should be, because they may be capable of processing the same data as a tablet equally, just using different resolutions or templates
    When I think of sharing an App I think of using that app on multiple devices. Currently WebOS has a lack of Devs, so I don't see Devs coming back just to tweak apps for a tablet. Maybe at somepoint app sharing will equate to 2 different versions of the app communicating but for the near furture it will almost definitely be the same app on a bigger screen.
    When I think of sharing an App I think of using that app on multiple devices. Currently WebOS has a lack of Devs, so I don't see Devs coming back just to tweak apps for a tablet. Maybe at somepoint app sharing will equate to 2 different versions of the app communicating but for the near furture it will almost definitely be the same app on a bigger screen.
    Well, if tablet sales take off, people download their apps in the catalog, see how bad the app looks on the tablet, and ask for a tablet version of the app, the dev of that app will be stupid not to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Well, if tablet sales take off, people download their apps in the catalog, see how bad the app looks on the tablet, and ask for a tablet version of the app, the dev of that app will be stupid not to do so.
    Honestly, if I bought a tablet in this market and the apps sucked, I wouldn't complain to some developer that I don't know and may not care about what I have to say, I would just go out and get a competitor tablet. Ipad2, xoom, and playbook are all legit.

Palm has F'd up one too many times for a lot of people they need to provide a smooth and enjoyable experience from the start. They don't have the luxury of having the benefit of the doubt.
    yeah I believe personally that on feb 9th they will introduce the topaz to be released around july (atleast wifi version) with a high end smartphone (prob june) and another small type smartphone, and show how they intend on interconnecting this new family of webos devices going forward.
    also what looks good so far on a small scale is the comments left on phonedog, BGR and Engadget. Its good to see some positive comments about Webos for a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yeah I believe personally that on feb 9th they will introduce the topaz to be released around july
    'Topaz' will be released in March, 'Opal' in September, 'Teal' in Q4.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    oh ok, lets hope we also see some smartphone leaks before the show too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Designing apps looks to be a challenge. Do you factor in the kb? A netbook form factor? A 7" screen? A 9" screen? A 4" screen?

I'd like to see fewer devices at first and HP concentrate on growing the app platform. It certainly would be easier for HP to focus on fewer when it comes to specs and optimizing webOS for it.

I only need one mobile OS device. It would be nice knowing that the maker was throwing its full support behind it and not having to also support 10 other different form factors while having to make sure webOS is optimized for each of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Designing apps looks to be a challenge. Do you factor in the kb? A netbook form factor? A 7" screen? A 9" screen? A 4" screen?

I'd like to see fewer devices at first and HP concentrate on growing the app platform. It certainly would be easier for HP to focus on fewer when it comes to specs and optimizing webOS for it.

I only need one mobile OS device. It would be nice knowing that the maker was throwing its full support behind it and not having to also support 10 other different form factors while having to make sure webOS is optimized for each of them.
    As a developer, I'm pretty excited with the challenge this suposses

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I would say I would agree if we were talking about a small company like Palm. Though with HP, unless anyone knows production hours that are, and will be spent on production, and development of webos and its products I cant really factor out that HP wouldnt be able to support every device it intends to release. Im sure if they are lets say making 5 or 6 different devices, that they can stay on top of all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Is 'Teal' the 15 inch?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast