Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Exclusive: HP / Palm's webOS tablets -- pictures, plans, and more -- Engadget

in short a 7 (opal) inch and 9 (topaz) inch tablet with expected release dates of September 2011 (WiFi-only, AT&T 3G, and Verizon LTE versions of the Opal) , and on AT&T LTE in July 2012

No Word on release for Topaz

Someone change the title to scoop not scopp lol thanks
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/18/2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Title change requested by OP
    Saw this on Engadget.

Oh, hello. A trusted tipster just sent in these internal renders of HP / Palm's "Topaz" webOS tablet, which is one of two tablets currently being developed in Sunnyvale. That's right, two tablets: the 9-inch Topaz and a 7-inch model codnamed Opal -- a lineup that fits nicely into Palm's "Something big, Something small, Something beyond" tagline for its upcoming February 9th event. Looking at the render, we're seeing the no-button design we'd previously heard about (we're assuming the gesture area rotates with the display), a front-facing camera, a micro USB port on the bottom, and what appears to be a Vizio Tablet-style three speaker arrangement for stereo audio in both landscape and portrait modes -- that's two speakers along the left side and a third on the right. (That's just a guess, though.)

We're told that units will start to arrive at Palm HQ in June as production ramps up for launch later this year -- a timeline backed up by an internal marketing slide we received that lists WiFi-only, AT&T 3G, and Verizon LTE versions of the Opal arriving in September 2011, and on AT&T LTE in July 2012. The slide also indicates the Opal will have a particular e-reading focus, which makes sense for a 7-inch device, and there's a mention of "premium audio," which nicely reinforces our speaker hypothesis. Unfortunately, we don't have any word on specs or pricing yet, but these things had better be packing some serious heat for cheap if Palm is really planning to wait until September to launch them -- they'll be going head-to-head with the Xoom, the PlayBook, and presumably the iPad 2. We're still digging for more, so keep an eye out -- things are going get crazy leading up to February 9th.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/e...plans-and-mor/
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It looks really nice. I hope Engadget is correct about the movable gesture area. If it is, then I'm dropping my iPad and getting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    I guess the rumor is correct, it will start produce June 11. Looks pretty good but I hope they changed some of the interface to tablet form factor, like Honeycomb. Hope it doesn't have same Palm Pre look with big screen on it.
    I was just about to post this... It think the size is perfect...
    september?!?! Nooooooooo....
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    No mention of Sprint on that release schedule slide.

Awesome.
    Please Palm, don't make them out of glossy black materials. That looks great in pictures, but it's a fingerprint magnet. Glossy black consumer devices are such a bad idea. Make it a matte finish please!
    september is very late. I hope it isn't true
    I would definitely rather have this than an iPad. Not sure about Honeycomb, I haven't watched the demo video. I like that the are sticking with the Palm brand name while still incorporating the HP name. Also, front facing camera and a ton of speakers = true love.
    It sucks Sprint isn't yet mentioned on the schedule. However, I couldn't care less about a tablet. I'll wait till Feb. 9th and if there is no phone announced for Sprint, I will pop on over to Verizon.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Please Palm, don't make them out of glossy black materials. That looks great in pictures, but it's a fingerprint magnet. Glossy black consumer devices are such a bad idea. Make it a matte finish please!
    If the back is shiny thats ok to me as long as the front bezel is not
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I was really hoping they would do a totally different webOS UI. Not make a giant Pre. Hopefully the other tablet will be different. And if this is an official picture of it, I wonder what version of webOS it is running. It cant be the EXACT same as the mobile OS since this tablet has 7 icons in the launcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Maybe they will come out with the Plus version that includes the back for a tablet touchstone. The original wont come with it but you will be able to buy it separately. lol
    no mention of sprint AT ALL?!?!?! Smh...
    Yeah, no Sprint... not surprising. Pre-empt the Palm announcement with 10 bucks added on to your bill? Good move.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I don't think Sprint is listed because they will have 6 month exclusive deal. I suspect Sprint and H/P have the tablet ready for sale 2/9/11.
    Oh, one more thing. You know how people made the theory that the visible "Just Type" area on the home screen was put there for future tablets? There is no "just type" option in this picture. Instead, I see a search icon in the bottom left corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I was really hoping they would do a totally different webOS UI. Not make a giant Pre. Hopefully the other tablet will be different. And if this is an official picture of it, I wonder what version of webOS it is running. It cant be the EXACT same as the mobile OS since this tablet has 7 icons in the launcher.
    Exactly. People were making fun of Apple Ipad because it was giant Itouch. Please HP, do not go thru that again like Apple. Look at Google. They built tablet version of android from ground up, honeycomb. I have Ipad, but I am thinking about upgrading it, so far, I am close to Honeycomb. Hope they change my mind of Feb 9th.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast