Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Kinda bummed that these things will supposedly have iPad 1 resolution. Even the Xoom has a slight bump to 1280 x 800.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Kinda bummed that these things will supposedly have iPad 1 resolution. Even the Xoom has a slight bump to 1280 x 800.
    Design choices like resolution are very focussed towards making Dev life easier as applications and services will be the main focus come this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Design choices like resolution are very focussed towards making Dev life easier as applications and services will be the main focus come this year.
    The second part of that sentence is great to hear, but I'm not sure why a developer wouldn't have as easy a time with a device resolution competitive with this year's iPad offering.

Buy hey...I'm not a developer.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Didn't another "leak" follow the same night about the Topaz? I doubt HP isn't fully in control of every tidbit of information we are receiving. Which is good. Very good.
    I guess you are right. More leaks. The question really is what is left for them to show us on Feb 9th 2011 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I guess you are right. More leaks. The question really is what is left for them to show us on Feb 9th 2011 ?
    most likely smartphones, hopefully its a better product then the engadgets insider of "nothing too amazing". I assume he means nothing ground breaking, but is competitve specs, and hardware wise.

heres a better info on the tablet too from engadget.

HP / Palm tablet to feature Touchstone dock, cloud storage, Beats audio and Tap-to-Share smartphone integration -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Tap to Share...sounds like Bump to me...by another name.

ha!

i didn't even know that existed! pretty cool stuff, they must be a great mind!
    There are four lights.
    there also saying that the ipad 2 will most likely NOT have a retna display, and though may be tweaked being cleaner or brighter nothing mind blowing like what was though earlier. Though nothing confermed yet this is what the consenses is.

iPad 2 Won't Have Retina Display
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    there also saying that the ipad 2 will most likely NOT have a retna display, and though may be tweaked being cleaner or brighter nothing mind blowing like what was though earlier. Though nothing confermed yet this is what the consenses is.

iPad 2 Won't Have Retina Display
    I guess we will see. To be fair, Motorola's increased resolution has partially to do with the fact that the Xoom is 16:9. Neither the iPad nor PalmTopOpalPad...z is.

Edit: HP Touchpad. Generic, but appropriate. Bye, bye Palm name.
    I guess we will see. To be fair, Motorola's increased resolution has partially to do with the fact that the Xoom is 16:9. Neither the iPad nor PalmTopOpalPad...z is.

Edit: HP Touchpad. Generic, but appropriate. Bye, bye Palm name.
    def will, and I like the HP touchpad name better, it also intergrates with their other branded names. I just hope these smartphones are up to par, nothings going to be mind blowing at this point I dont think.
    I don't think the Palm name is gone. I think it makes sense to have HP branding on a tablet since the form factor is new, but I still think all smartphones will have Palm branding.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    It will use the TI chip. 4400 is due second half of this year but samples are due in Q1. That is the 1.5. 4430 is currently being sampled but maybe TI is ready to ramp up production during the 1st Q.
    My track record speaks for itself. I stand by my post. Of course, I hope I'm wrong -- I'm a big fan of the awesome OMAP4 chip, and it surprises me that we're not seeing more devices launched with it yet. Maybe they'll come later this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by weuchsowagan View Post
    I don't think the Palm name is gone. I think it makes sense to have HP branding on a tablet since the form factor is new, but I still think all smartphones will have Palm branding.
    You may be right, but I think that would be an awful move.

Whether or not the fans here want to believe it, the perception of Palm in 2011 = failure.

Personally, I think they should just ditch the Palm name, throw it into the graveyard of failed tech companies, and just move forward with HP.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The one issue with the notion of "controlled leaks".

Why have someone whose leaking for you say that the devices are "nothing too amazing". Wouldn't you want hype and not somewhat negative descriptions of your devices coming out if they're controlled?

I guess the possibility is hoping to get people's hopes and expectations at a reasonable level to then actually pull out something that seems amazing due to said lowered expectations?
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    I'm now confused.

The whole idea behind webOS (and soon the new Enyo) framework is how easily adaptable it is across different devices (with different resolutions). Resolution shouldn't play a role in terms of development, other than making sure your graphics are a higher DPI so they look nice on the device.
    I hope HP really doesn't call their tablet the palmpad or touchpad. I think apple burns its brands into peoples brains and anything that ends with Pad, begins with i- or air, just seems like we're trying to be like apple. I would rather stick with the code names, than have an imitator name. Im just saying. HP needs to diffrentiate itself, with unique product names. The same way the Droid product line has.

edit: They could even name their devices after clouds lol, that could be their brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Think Late: Sep. 2011

The Pre was announced in Jan and launched in June. That was slow enough. HP expects to announce a tablet in February and launch in September?
    The Pre was announced (by Palm) in January, for release the first half of that year, and delivered in June, which was the first half of that year.

I say before we make predictions about when to expect the devices, we wait for HP to announce when it will be released. Personally, I will expect it to be released in the time frame HP claims.
    Not a particularly useful one. At least Apple and Android can fill the screen with app shortcuts and folders (and Android can do widgets). Also, WebOS had no apps that would use 7-10 inches of screen real estate.

Basically, it would've been the Palm version of those crappy Android Chinese "pads" that litter mall kiosks, cheap tech stores, eBay, and Craigslist. Tablets need optimization.
    Think Stacks, scattered around a larger screen. Sounds good to me.

Surely no one things HP has been sitting on their hands since they bought Palm. I know that was what was bandied about, but no one really believed that, did they?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    ...The person who shared this stuff with me isn't even really in a position where they need to know about the tablet.
    Then, isn't it possibly that said person doesn't "know", and is only telling what he/she thinks (s)he knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Just Type was there since day 1. It was just called Universal Search. The scope has been expanded, naturally, but the User Interaction hasn't change.

Tabbed browsing is an app level issue, not an OS level issue... Again this has nothing to do with what people are saying.
    "Tabbed browsing" is very nicely simulated with the stacks metaphor., and in many ways simpler.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm now confused.

The whole idea behind webOS (and soon the new Enyo) framework is how easily adaptable it is across different devices (with different resolutions). Resolution shouldn't play a role in terms of development, other than making sure your graphics are a higher DPI so they look nice on the device.
    Yeah, that is such a nonsensical statement. "Design choices like resolution are designed to make life easier for developers" ... wth? What is this, a 1980s Atari? I'm pretty sure this guy is just pulling stuff out of the air to make himself sound legit.