Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    ***** typo....did you mean Omap 4440 or Omap 4430 ?
    TI OMAP440 Processors, cores clocked at 1.2ghz.

Guys these are old early renders of 'Opal', 'Topaz' is the powerhouse, release March like I said earlier.

Tablets running a variant of HP WebOS 3.x.x (optimized for tablets) and Smartphones 2.5.x.

Expect a strong theme of seamless cloud computing and fun productivity going forward with HP Palm's roadmap.

Aggressive Apple style Marketing March forward.

Third tablet come Q4. Netbooks & Printers First half 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post

Guys these are old early renders of 'Opal', 'Topaz' is the powerhouse, release March like I said earlier.

Tablets running a variant of HP WebOS 3.x.x (optimized for tablets) and Smartphones 2.5.x.

Expect a strong theme of seamless cloud computing and fun productivity going forward with HP Palm's roadmap.

This seems to line up correctly.

Marketing slide showed on Opal as being launched in Sept. Various sources reporting that Topaz is the 9 incher and shipments to begin March. See various sourced articles for this info.

Those shots of webOS on the Opal tablet were obviously old to anyone that has seen 2.0. Why people on here were making a big deal of it was strange to me.

I doubt expect to hear about cloud computing and seamless connectivity between HP Palm devices. Expecting to see a number of consumer focused apps unveiled on Feb 9.

I think that the marketing will be aggressive but I hoping like heck that they follow Verizon's marketing plan when they launched the Droid brand in late Oct 2009. You have tell people why you're different and that your competitors can't do what your device can do, but be vague about it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    if there is really an OMAP 4/440 processor in Topaz, we will most likely see a display, which the iPad 2 can only dream about...forget Apple Retina about that

AND, the Omap 4/440 is capable of running at 1,5 GHz per core, which means "hello uber-kernel" (while I think webOS will be polished enough that we won't need overclocking).
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    As to the tabbed browser wishes of mikah...why do you need that? With webOS, even now, you just drop to card view and you see the content of every browser page you have open. With tabs, you only see a list of titles stuck in little boxes that you must tap to see the content. I don't see why tabbed browsing would be a better solution than card browsing on a small device. Larger devices, laptops and up, yeah. But the solution to that is already present in webOS 2...card stacks. Similar to tabs, but you get to see a portion of the open page. Again, better than tabs.
    No, not really. Cards and stacks and whatever else require you to move out to the desktop to see what pages you can move to or to memorize what page is on the left and right of where you are so you can swipe with Advanced Gestures. Tabs let me see several other pages while I'm still in the browser fullscreen. I don't have to remember a layout or organize a stack because my other pages are there at the top and require only one tap to get to instead of a couple of swipes.

I mean, drop to card view? Please.

What webOS 2.0, or higher, on a tablet means is that you get the elegant simplicity that Apple brings, with more power than Android.
    How do you qualify operating system "power", exactly? That's a genuine question.

It's why so many outside of this community have been clamoring for better devices hosting the OS. Judging by a lot of comments from users of other platforms that know of webOS, I think there will be a lot of converts if HP/Palm deliver the goods on the hardware front. I also think that if they pair the tablet with a really small phone, that can be worn as a wristwatch or a small belt mounted device, and which has a wireless hook up to the pad, it would be a real hit for a certain group of people who only want to "carry" one device that can consume, create, and transfer content, but still allow them to take phone calls on their bluetooth headset, and text on the device itself.
    Depends on what they have in mind, and how developers will support it. When I see something as nifty as people using iPhones as a controller for iPad games, I will be impressed.

Like I've said before, don't get your hopes up for an OMAP4. My money is on either a single core Qualcomm or an NVIDIA Tegra 2. Hopefully the latter. I have said this before, but the rumors of a 1.2GHz CPU (if true) would pretty much confirm it - 1.2GHz OMAP4s are not due until much later this year, like fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Like I've said before, don't get your hopes up for an OMAP4. My money is on either a single core Qualcomm or an NVIDIA Tegra 2. Hopefully the latter. I have said this before, but the rumors of a 1.2GHz CPU (if true) would pretty much confirm it - 1.2GHz OMAP4s are not due until much later this year, like fall.
    It will use the TI chip. 4400 is due second half of this year but samples are due in Q1. That is the 1.5. 4430 is currently being sampled but maybe TI is ready to ramp up production during the 1st Q.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, not really. Cards and stacks and whatever else require you to move out to the desktop to see what pages you can move to or to memorize what page is on the left and right of where you are so you can swipe with Advanced Gestures. Tabs let me see several other pages while I'm still in the browser fullscreen. I don't have to remember a layout or organize a stack because my other pages are there at the top and require only one tap to get to instead of a couple of swipes.
    Sure, browser tabs are great, with one touch you can switch between paged. But they might have to write more code to optimize battery usage.

How do you qualify operating system "power", exactly? That's a genuine question.
    True elegant "Visual" multitasking. The Visual multitasking thing is the one that Palm failed to market. The result of which is , most folks don't get the WebOS.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    For absolute confirmation, yes. But HP leaked this info specifically to spur this discussion and buzz.
    Yup looks like it. HP has to have something big in the market crowded by Android,BB and Apple. They are trying to create some buzz.

But this seems to be legit, so people should definitely be processing this info as it is now. I'm almost certain more leaks will follow.
    I doubt more leaks will follow. There is got to be something big saved for the event.

My bet is that HP will show something great about the quality of materials or design aspects. They need something big to beat the Apple products.
    Battery life won't be an issue, expect iPad like 10+ hours battery life. Display is the main cause of battery drain.

Expect more leaks, but crumbs at best.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Single charge lasting more than 12 hours of Calling/Video/browsing/Games can be one of the things they will show.
    Didn't another "leak" follow the same night about the Topaz? I doubt HP isn't fully in control of every tidbit of information we are receiving. Which is good. Very good.
    Battery life won't be an issue, expect iPad like 10+ hours battery life. Display is the main cause of battery drain.

Expect more leaks, but crumbs at best.
    Like your posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I think that the marketing will be aggressive but I hoping like heck that they follow Verizon's marketing plan when they launched the Droid brand in late Oct 2009. You have tell people why you're different and that your competitors can't do what your device can do, but be vague about it.
    No Droid Like advertising I'm afraid, it will all be fingers and thumbs. Heavy focus on gestures in each ad to not alienate potential consumers.
    No Droid Like advertising I'm afraid, it will all be fingers and thumbs. Heavy focus on gestures in each ad to not alienate potential consumers.
    Gotta say, while the Droid marketing was unique and attractive to me, it's definitely not for everyone.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Cant post link from work but they now have more info on Engadget on touchstone and other possible info
    Would be a first, and a welcome sight.
    That's how you do it, HP. Leak to the right people (Engadget), and keep it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Tap to Share...sounds like Bump to me...by another name.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Tap to Share...sounds like Bump to me...by another name.
    Yeah, hasn't Apple already shown this off in a commercial?