Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    All biases aside, is a webOS tablet really all that impressive to begin with?
    On its own, no. But I do think an aggressively marketed Opal that meets or beats the Nook's $250 price point could be a winner. Hell, bundle it with Envy 14s for a combo shot. They're really pushing the connected device angle anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I can understand this. Thanks for the elaboration.

If you really look at the Honeycomb video, however, there's not a lot of "OS level" drastic overhaul going on. The same screens a Froyo devices uses now are there except they are concave. They made the hardware buttons virtual and oriented in whatever direction you want. They made the widget selection screen horizontal, and used thumbnails instead of a list with icons. Otherwise, every other change in that video is cosmetic (e.g. very different widgets, the stock browser has a Chrome-esque tabbed appearance, etc.).

Probably the most "OS level" change is the contextual menu dock at the top of all app screens now. The rest is heavy skinning.
    Right, and personally, I think Froyo and Gingerbread provide an 'adequate' experience for tablets. (I even said earlier, that I think all of the OSs that are on tablets are now "ready" for them.) I was just mentioning that, Google said themselves that those versions of android were not "ready" for tablets, and they listed their multitasking solution as one of the reasons why; specifically the user interface. Interestingly enough, their most recent solution more closely resembles what webOS has been doing since day one. thats all.

but i think we're on the same page now.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 01/18/2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Engadget has updated their page and is saying the larger tablet may ship sooner than the smaller one, which is in line with earlier leaks. But you're right in that people should just sit tight and wait for the HP announcements.
    For absolute confirmation, yes. But HP leaked this info specifically to spur this discussion and buzz. If you want to sit out and/or dismiss a "Hey, a Sprint rep told me...." thread, I'd say more power to you. But this seems to be legit, so people should definitely be processing this info as it is now. I'm almost certain more leaks will follow.
    On its own, no. But I do think an aggressively marketed Opal that meets or beats the Nook's $250 price point could be a winner. Hell, bundle it with Envy 14s for a combo shot. They're really pushing the connected device angle anyway.
    To bundle it with a laptop would be crazy expensive for HP. I think if you bundle if with beats in ear headphones and some kind of dock for 300 it would compete.
    I dunno, I'm with mikah on the bundling thing. We don't know the cost of goods on the Palm tablet but selling it as a loss leader is probably the best way to move units. webOS is a tough sell on any form factor but HP needs to be thinking longterm here. There's nothing wrong with giving up a little revenue now in exchange for actually having something to sell in the future.
    That's going to be a problem. My understanding is the display on the Palm tablet isn't very impressive in both resolution and DPI.

The raw horsepower of the A5 is going to be problematic for HP too if what we're reading about the graphics performance is even remotely true.
    This is absolutely true.

If the resolution is what's rumored, it's going to be quite a bit of trouble for HP, and let me tell you, some of the marketing on this "retina" display is bull****, but much of it isn't.

Only way I see this competing in the world of iPad, Xoom, Playbook, is that it has to hit it on price. ($300)

Display is probably going to be inferior to iPad 2, launching later than all of the competition, with little to no app ecosystem.

I'd like to see them make a go of it, but the competition is ramping quickly, something that HP seems incapable of doing.
    The only other thing i'll say concerning the market in general is this. If the rumor pans out about Apple's higher resolution screen, then i think they'll be surprising not only us but their competitors.

I didn't expect it so soon as Apple usually is marketing driven to add stuff. But by moving that fast with it, Apple, who is far in the lead, is basically slamming the gas pedal here.

20481536 on a 9.7" screen? If you've used an iphone 4, you already know its a different world vs other screens on phones. Now supersize that...
    woundering since they stated that the first introduction of new products would come in the smartphone form, then tablets, then netbooks. I'm woundering if the new phones will be announced and or released in the second quarter?
    How in the world can anyone here answer this question, unless they have actually used a webOS tablet?
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/18/2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The only other thing i'll say concerning the market in general is this. If the rumor pans out about Apple's higher resolution screen, then i think they'll be surprising not only us but their competitors.

I didn't expect it so soon as Apple usually is marketing driven to add stuff. But by moving that fast with it, Apple, who is far in the lead, is basically slamming the gas pedal here.

20481536 on a 9.7" screen? If you've used an iphone 4, you already know its a different world vs other screens on phones. Now supersize that...
    I do, and that's precisely what i'm saying.

It does make a world of difference, and once you start using a screen like that, going backwards is difficult to say the least.

If this pans out for the iPad, i'd probably dump the Kindle. At that PPI, should make for a great reader.
    I'm still a little skeptical about the 2048x1536 rumor (even if it's the only resolution that mathematically works) just because that's a loooooot of pixels. But yeah, when people downplay the iPhone 4's Retina Display as a gimmick, I sort of mentally figure they've never actually seen one before. It really is that good and it's hard to go back to anything else.

HP needs to hit one out of the park with their display and pricepoints if this thing is going to have a chance.
    I look at it this way. HP deliberately leaked this info. I find it hard-to-believe they had an iron grip on information leading up until now, but somehow this slipped through the cracks. I would figure they'd want to leak the stuff that's the priority and that's making it to market first.

But let's see what else leaks in the next three weeks and what they say on Feb. 9. I'm just commenting on the info we have.
    I too believe this was a deliberate leak. I hope this explains why we have little information regarding the launch of the Topaz.

My hope is that the Topaz will launch before the Opal, and will be on sprint
    4G sooner than they are ready to announce. Wishful thinking, i know.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    How in the world can anyone here answer this question with a straight face, unless they have actually used a webOS tablet?
    Pretty simple.

If you've used a Pre, and you've used a modern tablet, you can see how that interface would work on a tablet. It's not a big stretch.
    I'm still a little skeptical about the 2048x1536 rumor (even if it's the only resolution that mathematically works) just because that's a loooooot of pixels. But yeah, when people downplay the iPhone 4's Retina Display as a gimmick, I sort of mentally figure they've never actually seen one before. It really is that good and it's hard to go back to anything else.

HP needs to hit one out of the park with their display and pricepoints if this thing is going to have a chance.
    Yep.

iOS definitely has some short comings, but all in all, the total package with the hardware(especially the screen) makes up for it in spades.
    I agree that they need to make it a deal we can't refuse. But ugh free? even HP can't take a hit like that. The Envy 14 margin for profit isn't enough to give away free tablets. I think the best thing they can do is give us the biggest bang for our buck. Im talking beats headphones, computer dock, charging dock, bluetooth keyboard and a free 3 month subspcription to some HP premium service.

I also think that these things need to be F'n all knowing all doing juggernauts. From the pictures it doesn't look like the hardware is very impressive. I don't think it needs to have a screen like an Ipad 2 but i'd like to see some 1080p playback, an addition of a high res back camera that records 720 p, and the fastest processer they can find, in addition to a few neat tricks, not limited to eprint, tv playback, and charging solutions.

We've waited this long. and Im not asking for things that are impossible. I mean Motorola does it every 6 months. HP has the money.
    What blows my mind is that apparently the world's biggest hardware maker can't design and get an iPad competitor to market in less than ~17 months. They bought Palm last April!

You could buy a terrible Chinese knock-off "myPad" tablet for 100 bucks in a freakin Walgreens months ago, yet HP can't dig around in the commodity parts bin from the Slate?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I am surprised there was no mention of e-print. Where everything will be printed in blue to ensure even more volume sales of their cyan toner cartridge.

Jokes aside, it's nice to feel some excitement in the air, better than nothing, right?
    The time is spent in figuring out the requirements for user experience, etc. HP has a Win7 slate out already, and they could have delivered many more variants of those.

They were well down the path of Android and Win7, so they had to rethink everything before they started designing hardware. I hope the extra time results in a much better product and not just a larger version of the Pre.
    I agree with the above post, after using a iphone 4 for a few months, and going back and forth between it and a pre the resolution is hard to give up. Also BGR seems to think atleast one of the tablets is going to be released in july this year.

HP’s 7-inch, 9-inch webOS tablets get pictured, due in July | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    Mikah is right, these are controlled leaks.

Topaz and Opal are using a OMAP440 Processor.

Don't make anything of the UI screenshot on the renders, these are superficial. Tablets are running WebOS 3 and are tablet optimized.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast