Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    It would make sense to release the Topaz before the Opal taking into consideration the casting calls of the end of December
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Fair enough. I don't see it as helping to make a device UI "tablet ready" since iOS and Android had "Universal Search" well before they had OSes they deemed tablet-ready.

A big part of the draw of the UI was that you could see all your browser windows (and apps) in live cards. That's an OS level issue, IMHO.
    right but having tabs in your browser is an app issue. There's no reason palm couldn't allow an open browser card to provide access to other open browser cards within the realm of WebOS capabilities. It's a limitation of the app, not the OS. And i'm sure most people would agree that swapping between open cards and web tabs is a trivial difference.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 01/18/2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    ok, clearly your taking the scope of my comments out of context. 1st, I was addressing someone incorrect statement that people made fun of the ipad because of it's UI. Instead it was was because a bunch of things that it turns out consumers didn't really care about. So yes, those who made fun of the ipad where wrong. I never said they were right.

now as far as webOS being ready for tablets from day1. Perhaps I should have said webOS would have worked well on tablets with the least amount of overhall. WebOS was ready for tablets on day1 in the sense that Cam Newton is ready for the NFL. Is he gonna need to train during the off season in order to make the transition? Ofcourse, but he's fundamentally there. I had assumed that those involved in the conversation would understand that we all basically understand the logistical details involved making software work on new hardware, so I didn't care to mention them.

compared to android, I don't think webOS needs nearly the drastic overhaul that is Honeycomb. And as far as iOS is concerned, the software quickly caught up to most peoples expectations for a tablet device.
    I can understand this. Thanks for the elaboration.

If you really look at the Honeycomb video, however, there's not a lot of "OS level" drastic overhaul going on. The same screens a Froyo devices uses now are there except they are concave. They made the hardware buttons virtual and oriented in whatever direction you want. They made the widget selection screen horizontal, and used thumbnails instead of a list with icons. Otherwise, every other change in that video is cosmetic (e.g. very different widgets, the stock browser has a Chrome-esque tabbed appearance, etc.).

Probably the most "OS level" change is the contextual menu dock at the top of all app screens now. The rest is heavy skinning.
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    No mention of Sprint on that release schedule slide.

Awesome.
    Sprint gets now love from HP/Palm...I hope this changes some day soon!
    Apple event: "the ipad HD, now with a retina display, SD card slot, faster than ever... and even better battery life.... Available in 29 days"

HP Palm event: "Topaz... Gorilla Glass, dual-core, apps from Hulu, amazon, etc... Available September twent- BOOOOO!"

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    A refresh of a brand new platform 3-4 months later? No.
    It's not a refresh of a new platform. It's a new addition.
    "right but having tabs in your browser is an app issue. There's no reason palm couldn't allow an open browser card to provide access to other open browser cards within the realm of WebOS capabilities. It's a limitation of the app, not the OS. And i'm sure most people would agree that swapping between open cards and web tabs is a trivial difference.

and there's also"

Agreed I prefer the webOS browser to dolphin.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    It's not a refresh of a new platform. It's a new addition.
    I look at it this way. HP deliberately leaked this info. I find it hard-to-believe they had an iron grip on information leading up until now, but somehow this slipped through the cracks. I would figure they'd want to leak the stuff that's the priority and that's making it to market first.

But let's see what else leaks in the next three weeks and what they say on Feb. 9. I'm just commenting on the info we have.
    Idk i just dont believe this
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    "right but having tabs in your browser is an app issue. There's no reason palm couldn't allow an open browser card to provide access to other open browser cards within the realm of WebOS capabilities. It's a limitation of the app, not the OS. And i'm sure most people would agree that swapping between open cards and web tabs is a trivial difference.

and there's also"

Agreed I prefer the webOS browser to dolphin.
    I prefer Dolphin Mini to them all. My favorite mobile browser ever.
    Has anyone compared these renders to the ones submitted in the recent PC contest? Hmmmm...
    Idk i just dont believe this Is recent. Look at the os. New 2.0 uses a just type bar always visbile so that one can easily see it. I doubt it would not be visible on a tablet. If not another giveaway is this launcher bar is different it is the current launcher bar, not the refreshed launchee bar of 2.0. I think it could be old ans just surfacing. Who knows, we will see in a few weeks
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    wow honestly i've been on board w the pre since day 1. then switched to android due to the pre sucking balls. i keep checking back to see what palm comes up with to draw me back. and got excited to see this. then i saw the dates it was slated to come out and some possible specs. this is goin to be a failure just like the pre was. it already seems to have specs that match up to CURRENT devices. not breaking the mold and coming up with something new. go look at endgadget and read that acer will release a pad w the sandy bridge processer some time this year. i'm sorry palm but you are done. you just dont know it yet. this release is pathetic. palm is already dead. there are a few hardcore fans around. the rest of us are gone or leaving. sad thing is that we want to come back but you are just not cutting edge enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Idk i just dont believe this Is recent. Look at the os. New 2.0 uses a just type bar always visbile so that one can easily see it. I doubt it would not be visible on a tablet. If not another giveaway is this launcher bar is different it is the current launcher bar, not the refreshed launchee bar of 2.0. I think it could be old ans just surfacing. Who knows, we will see in a few weeks
    Exactly. That's prolly why Engadget didn't even comment on the os. I believe Nappy's comment that the os on the tablet will 'window' differently than the render we're looking at.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Soo...how does one 'just type' without a keyboard? Seems like there will have to be some gesture involved to bring up the virtual keyboard, in which case it should be "Just Swipe, Then Type".
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Apple event: "the ipad HD, now with a retina display, SD card slot, faster than ever... and even better battery life.... Available in 29 days"

HP Palm event: "Topaz... Gorilla Glass, dual-core, apps from Hulu, amazon, etc... Available September twent- BOOOOO!"
    That's going to be a problem. My understanding is the display on the Palm tablet isn't very impressive in both resolution and DPI.

The raw horsepower of the A5 is going to be problematic for HP too if what we're reading about the graphics performance is even remotely true.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Soo...how does one 'just type' without a keyboard? Seems like there will have to be some gesture involved to bring up the virtual keyboard, in which case it should be "Just Swipe, Then Type".
    if you look in the notification area there is a search button or "just type" icon
    I look at it this way. HP deliberately leaked this info. I find it hard-to-believe they had an iron grip on information leading up until now, but somehow this slipped through the cracks. I would figure they'd want to leak the stuff that's the priority and that's making it to market first.

But let's see what else leaks in the next three weeks and what they say on Feb. 9. I'm just commenting on the info we have.
    Probably deliberate. But is this the info you want to leak? The pics aren't exactly impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Probably deliberate. But is this the info you want to leak? The pics aren't exactly impressive.
    All biases aside, is a webOS tablet really all that impressive to begin with?

Engadget has updated their page and is saying the larger tablet may ship sooner than the smaller one, which is in line with earlier leaks. But you're right in that people should just sit tight and wait for the HP announcements.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast