Released May 10
    5 Months

Palm Pre 2 (US)
    Announced: Oct 10
    Released: ???
    ???

Palm Pad
    Announced: Feb 9th 2011
    Released: September 2011 (Verizon) , July 2012 (AT&T)
    8 months (Verizon) / 1 year & 5 months (AT&T)

Ouch, Why oh why...
    Palm Pre Plus released in May 2010? I got mine in March 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Majority of the CES announced products won't be available till at least June or July, and we're hearing some getting delayed already (the Asus Eee Pad line, which is a bummer because I actually kind of like the Eee Pad MeMo).

Just saying. If anything let's not freak out till it's officially announced.
    But, the iPad 2 will be out well before then and that's all that matters.
    Those renders are old IMO. Just look them closely, it is webOS 1.X what is running in the tablet: No "Just Type" bar (instead, an icon in the notification area) and the quick launch bar is gray and not glass-like. If the render is old, so is the launch date. I don't think HP and Palm are the fool enough to launch their tablet in september knowing that the iPad 2, Xoom and PlayBook are arriving in March/April.
    Majority of the CES announced products won't be available till at least June or July, and we're hearing some getting delayed already (the Asus Eee Pad line, which is a bummer because I actually kind of like the Eee Pad MeMo).

Just saying. If anything let's not freak out till it's officially announced.
    Motorola and RIM have given Q1 (end of March) dates for the Xoom and wi-fi Playbook, respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Motorola and RIM have given Q1 (end of March) dates for the Xoom and wi-fi Playbook, respectively.
    Playbook wasn't announced in CES. It was announced last year.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Maybe they think they have clearly missed the boat on capitalizing on the spring sales window and figured they might as well make the big push in the next fall holiday schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Those renders are old IMO. Just look them closely, it is webOS 1.X what is running in the tablet: No "Just Type" bar (instead, an icon in the notification area) and the quick launch bar is gray and not glass-like. If the render is old, so is the launch date. I don't think HP and Palm are the fool enough to launch their tablet in september knowing that the iPad 2, Xoom and PlayBook are arriving in March/April.
    That wouldn't be good news either way.

If they had devices that were to launch in September and moved up the launch date to March and April, they'd be unleashing a buggy mess with beta developer support at best.

Even if the render is old, the launch documents are likely not.
    Just Type wasn't there when WebOS was at "day one", so it wouldn't be part of the discussion.

The notification and card systems are great and remain two of my favorite aspects of WebOS. But on a tablet (hell, even on my Epic 4G), I'd rather have a tabbed browser (Honeycomb) instead of having to leave the screen every time I wanted to go to another Web page (cards). Does anybody browse a regular PC that way?

Notifications are a wash.
    Just Type was there since day 1. It was just called Universal Search. The scope has been expanded, naturally, but the User Interaction hasn't change.

Tabbed browsing is an app level issue, not an OS level issue... Again this has nothing to do with what people are saying.
    Wow they need this out before playbook so bad.
    Think there are devs under NDA working on palmpad apps right now?

Looks like a big pre :\
    I hope the UI is changed more than this before launch. It's ridiculous to have that much room and only show one card at once. EWW and the immovable launcher icon is still there D:

I hope touchstone2 comes with this and that the sides are ALL touch sensitive. (Cause from these I see a camera and home "lightbar" area, which makes me think otherwise)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Playbook wasn't announced in CES. It was announced last year.
    The release date of Q1 for the wifi model was given at CES. The point being, at least two major competitors besides the iPad 2 will beat them to market.
    Engadget update:

Update: We're told that they both have unspecified 1.2GHz processors, and that Topaz may arrive before Opal. We'll let you know if we learn anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    I only care about a wifi version anyway. with free tether and the plethora or hotspots around who needs a carrier. i dont want another data plan.
    Exactly, who wants to get sucked into a 2-year contract at 30 to 50 dollars a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Just Type was there since day 1. It was just called Universal Search. The scope has been expanded, naturally, but the User Interaction hasn't change.
    Fair enough. I don't see it as helping to make a device UI "tablet ready" since iOS and Android had "Universal Search" well before they had OSes they deemed tablet-ready.

Tabbed browsing is an app level issue, not an OS level issue... Again this has nothing to do with what people are saying.
    A big part of the draw of the UI was that you could see all your browser windows (and apps) in live cards. That's an OS level issue, IMHO.
    WiFi model by June or fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    WiFi model by June or fail.
    By March or fail

Anyone have an idea of what 1.2ghz processor they might use?

Qualcomm 1.2 GHz dual-core Snapdragon?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Engadget update:
    I truly do hope that the Topaz arrives well before the Opal dates listed in that slide, although maybe the Opal is being positioned as the "Nook Color"-killer? It would be awesome if they could meet that $250 price point.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    By March or fail

it needs to be the dual core cortex which is right in line with production on the the chip
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    By March or fail

Marvell, I think.

And I think Engadget might be wrong about both being clocked at 1.2GHz.

edit: ignore me, I'm wrong about the processor.
    Last edited by nappy; 01/18/2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Somehow, Apple has made a wildly successful tablet UI that doesn't use this at all (they have the same icons that pre-Honeycomb Android had). Having this doesn't necessarily mean that your OS UI is "ready for tablets".
    ok, clearly your taking the scope of my comments out of context. 1st, I was addressing someone incorrect statement that people made fun of the ipad because of it's UI. Instead it was was because a bunch of things that it turns out consumers didn't really care about. So yes, those who made fun of the ipad where wrong. I never said they were right.

now as far as webOS being ready for tablets from day1. Perhaps I should have said webOS would have worked well on tablets with the least amount of overhall. WebOS was ready for tablets on day1 in the sense that Cam Newton is ready for the NFL. Is he gonna need to train during the off season in order to make the transition? Ofcourse, but he's fundamentally there. I had assumed that those involved in the conversation would understand that we all basically understand the logistical details involved making software work on new hardware, so I didn't care to mention them.

compared to android, I don't think webOS needs nearly the drastic overhaul that is Honeycomb. And as far as iOS is concerned, the software quickly caught up to most peoples expectations for a tablet device.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    topaz might be out before opal
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast