Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    AT&T LTE is supposedly July 2012. I'll bet the issues are design and probably overwhelming demand for parts among dozens of tablet manufacturers not to mention Apple. I get the feeling that HP is small-scaling this despite what people might wish around here.
    I thought AT&T wasn't rolling out LTE until next year anyway...instead going the HSPA+ route as 4G right now.
    The July 2012 detail makes the whole thing seem to have an air of fake. I'm sure it is real, but why would any company plan a release for a product over a year after it is first announced. AT&T will be getting this tablet after the ipad3 comes out. It just seems ridiculous.
    Awww yeeeaaahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    There's more to a user interface than the location of the launcher icons. The card metaphor, and the notification system are aspects of the UI that would have worked well with tablets since day 1.
    The card look and notification system works well, period. It isn't more apt to do so on a tablet or a phone.
    For whatever it's worth, I was also told the webOS 3.0 for tablets thing is mostly true and that it would have a "different windowing system."
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    The July 2012 detail makes the whole thing seem to have an air of fake. I'm sure it is real, but why would any company plan a release for a product over a year after it is first announced. AT&T will be getting this tablet after the ipad3 comes out. It just seems ridiculous.
    AT&T is getting a 3G version in September. This is pure spitballing, but I would guess AT&T wanted to focus on a select few players to launch their LTE network that they knew they could spotlight to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Well, that and the intelligent notification system, card-based multi-tasking, and Just Type. How can you say that the dock is all webOS is?
    Just Type wasn't there when WebOS was at "day one", so it wouldn't be part of the discussion.

The notification and card systems are great and remain two of my favorite aspects of WebOS. But on a tablet (hell, even on my Epic 4G), I'd rather have a tabbed browser (Honeycomb) instead of having to leave the screen every time I wanted to go to another Web page (cards). Does anybody browse a regular PC that way?

Notifications are a wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not a particularly useful one. At least Apple and Android can fill the screen with app shortcuts and folders (and Android can do widgets). Also, WebOS had no apps that would use 7-10 inches of screen real estate.

Basically, it would've been the Palm version of those crappy Android Chinese "pads" that litter mall kiosks, cheap tech stores, eBay, and Craigslist. Tablets need optimization.
    I don't understand what your trying to argue with me about. I'm saying that people made fun of the ipad because when it was announced, it couldn't do the things we thought people wanted their tablet to do (multitask, video chat, removable storage). WebOS, coupled with the right hardware, could have done all of those things on day 1. Whether or not the apps exist to make it successful is neither here nor there as far as my original comment is concerned. And while I agree optimization is key, day1 consumers usually don't expect software to be perfectly optimized (see launch, ipad,galaxy tab,or any smart consumer electronic device.
    So...

Palm Pre (US)
    Announced: Jan 09
    Released: June 09
    6 Months

Palm Pre+ (US)
    Announced: Jan 10
    Released May 10
    5 Months

Palm Pre 2 (US)
    Announced: Oct 10
    Released: ???
    ???

Palm Pad
    Announced: Feb 9th 2011
    Released: September 2011 (Verizon) , July 2012 (AT&T)
    8 months (Verizon) / 1 year & 5 months (AT&T)

Ouch, Why oh why...
    Last edited by Prelude Ron; 01/18/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Ordered 32GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1pm HPO#30579xxx, WO#4423xxx
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I was also told the webOS 3.0 for tablets thing is mostly true and that it would have a "different windowing system."
    Thank the maker...whenever that arrives.

On the plus side, I applaud this news leaking, and hope it's the first of many leaks. HP Palm shouldn't keep cards close to the vest until Feb. 9. Leak like crazy, and watch people buzz (like with this report).
    The card look and notification system works well, period. It isn't more apt to do so on a tablet or a phone.
    It's not about the 'card look' it's about how that design improves the user experience. One of the reasons google said android wasn't ready for tablets is because there was no visual representation of background applications. Notice how that option is now present in HoneyComb... WebOs had this ability since day 1.
    I don't understand what your trying to argue with me about. I'm saying that people made fun of the ipad because when it was announced, it couldn't do the things we thought people wanted their tablet to do (multitask, video chat, removable storage). WebOS, coupled with the right hardware, could have done all of those things on day 1. Whether or not the apps exist to make it successful is neither here nor there as far as my original comment is concerned. And while I agree optimization is key, day1 consumers usually don't expect software to be perfectly optimized (see launch, ipad,galaxy tab,or any smart consumer electronic device.
    I'm simply saying that no phone OS is "ready for a tablet launch on day one". Even HP is making alterations to the OS that go beyond having apps take advantage of the extra real estate before launching their tablet. So did Apple. So did Android. So is RIM.
    Well, they listened! That hardware looks fantastic!
    If the glossy back if for real, it'll be scuffed all to hell by the end of the first day. Just like my 5th generation video ipod with the chrome back (which, by the way, is still working like a charm). Hopefully they reconsider this. A soft touch back serves the dual purpose of protection and improving the user's grip.
    I only care about a wifi version anyway. with free tether and the plethora or hotspots around who needs a carrier. i dont want another data plan.
    It's not about the 'card look' it's about how that design improves the user experience. One of the reasons google said android wasn't ready for tablets is because there was no visual representation of background applications. Notice how that option is now present in HoneyComb... WebOs had this ability since day 1.
    Somehow, Apple has made a wildly successful tablet UI that doesn't use this at all (they have the same icons that pre-Honeycomb Android had). Having this doesn't necessarily mean that your OS UI is "ready for tablets".
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Ask your contact when the next Sprint device comes out. I'm about to go postal.
    Somehow, Apple has made a wildly successful tablet UI that doesn't use this at all (they have the same icons that pre-Honeycomb Android had). Having this doesn't necessarily mean that your OS UI is "ready for tablets".
    All Apple needed to make a wildly successful tablet UI is to put their logo on the back of the device using it.
    On the plus side, I applaud this news leaking, and hope it's the first of many leaks. HP Palm shouldn't keep cards close to the vest until Feb. 9. Leak like crazy, and watch people buzz (like with this report).
    The weird thing is I think HP has been trying but they went about it the wrong way. I'm pretty sure I know who Fox News' source was and, if I'm right, they weren't the news outlet to get tipped off. Instead of going grassroots and hitting the Engadgets and the Gizmodos and the TechCrunches, HP tried to shoot for the USA Todays and the CNNs.

I'm guessing there will be more guerrilla type leaks soon; this stuff isn't a secret within the Palm division. The person who shared this stuff with me isn't even really in a position where they need to know about the tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Think Late: Sep. 2011

The Pre was announced in Jan and launched in June. That was slow enough. HP expects to announce a tablet in February and launch in September?
    Majority of the CES announced products won't be available till at least June or July, and we're hearing some getting delayed already (the Asus Eee Pad line, which is a bummer because I actually kind of like the Eee Pad MeMo).

Just saying. If anything let's not freak out till it's officially announced.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast