Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyPlayr View Post
    I don't think Sprint is listed because they will have 6 month exclusive deal. I suspect Sprint and H/P have the tablet ready for sale 2/9/11.
    ... Keep dreaming. Won't happen.
    Exclusive: HP / Palm's webOS tablets -- pictures, plans, and more -- Engadget

States that HP Palm will have a 9 inch tablet, and a 7 inch tablet. Looks pretty slick, and the specs are nice!
    no sprint? i guess HPalm doesnt get that At&t and Verizon treat their poducts like step children when compared to apple and android products.

also anyone else find it interesting that the cards arent stacked?

maybe it is a different version of webOS.

Edit: the slides only mention the Opal(7-inch) model going to at&t Verizon.... so maybe the Topaz(9-inch) model will be released earlier on sprint.
    Last edited by Emceesquared; 01/18/2011 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Think Late: Sep. 2011

The Pre was announced in Jan and launched in June. That was slow enough. HP expects to announce a tablet in February and launch in September?
    Apparently, AT&T will be first with an LTE version in July, which of course will give the iPad 2 and Motorola Honeycomb tablet for AT&T plenty of time to get entrenched. But here's hoping for some unknown special sauce to be revealed on Feb. 9....

I guess your reasoning about them having such a late announcement event because they were running behind is spot-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I was really hoping they would do a totally different webOS UI. Not make a giant Pre. Hopefully the other tablet will be different. And if this is an official picture of it, I wonder what version of webOS it is running. It cant be the EXACT same as the mobile OS since this tablet has 7 icons in the launcher.
    Way to early to worry about the OS. Not a dev but Enyo should help with your worries and these are only renders not set for production until June. Not to mention that these are all just leaks subject to change at any time.
    <<threads merged>>
    Think Late: Sep. 2011

The Pre was announced in Jan and launched in June. That was slow enough. HP expects to announce a tablet in February and launch in September?
    the previous rumors mentioned a tablet being released by HP in the March/April timeframe. Maybe that's when the first model is going to be released and the Sept release is a followup device?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyPlayr View Post
    I don't think Sprint is listed because they will have 6 month exclusive deal. I suspect Sprint and H/P have the tablet ready for sale 2/9/11.
    I SOOOOOOOO hope you are right. But now that I think of it. I'd probably rather have the wifi only version and tether off my pre.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Exactly. People were making fun of Apple Ipad because it was giant Itouch. Please HP, do not go thru that again like Apple. Look at Google. They built tablet version of android from ground up, honeycomb. I have Ipad, but I am thinking about upgrading it, so far, I am close to Honeycomb. Hope they change my mind of Feb 9th.
    No offense but the iPad has been very successful and that description of the iPad has not hurt it in the least. When people tell me my iPad is a giant iPod Touch or iPhone, I say thats like saying my 58" plasma is nothing but a giant TV.....my response....Yes, thats why it kicks *** lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Oh, one more thing. You know how people made the theory that the visible "Just Type" area on the home screen was put there for future tablets? There is no "just type" option in this picture. Instead, I see a search icon in the bottom left corner.
    i've noticed that too. Does this mean that the notification area will always be present. If so I hope the resolution is such that we aren't sacrificing screen space.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    the previous rumors mentioned a tablet being released by HP in the March/April timeframe. Maybe that's when the first model is going to be released and the Sept release is a followup device?
    A refresh of a brand new platform 3-4 months later? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Exactly. People were making fun of Apple Ipad because it was giant Itouch. Please HP, do not go thru that again like Apple. Look at Google. They built tablet version of android from ground up, honeycomb. I have Ipad, but I am thinking about upgrading it, so far, I am close to Honeycomb. Hope they change my mind of Feb 9th.
    people made fun of the ipad because neither the hardware or iOS was suitable for what we thought people wanted in a tablet. Not because of the UI.

the WebOS UI has been suitable for tablets since Day 1 if you ask me.
    September (Really? Launch it after ipad2 and xoom? that's smart...)

+

No Sprint

=

No sale.

This is way too little too late. There had better be an awesome announcement about Sprint getting WebOS devices BEFORE JUNE or I'm ditching both Sprint and Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    the WebOS UI has been suitable for tablets since Day 1 if you ask me.
    If so, what OS isn't? I'm pretty sure Apple, Android, and WebOS all have the option of giving you a dock of icons at the bottom. That's all WebOS UI is.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    the marketing update metions the opal, not the topaz. So maybe those dates apply to the smaller device (opal) and not the larger device (topaz). Wishful thinking
    I mentioned it in passing when Fox News ran their story but someone actually showed me these a few weeks ago. I just didn't want to be that guy.

I was told they'd ship in July, though. And that the back is removable.
    AT&T LTE is supposedly July 2012. I'll bet the issues are design and probably overwhelming demand for parts among dozens of tablet manufacturers not to mention Apple. I get the feeling that HP is small-scaling this despite what people might wish around here.
    WHOOPS. I didn't see that. That seems kinda insane to me. AT&T has already said they are launching two 4G LTE tablets this year. One will be their version of the Xoom. If the other is an iPad 2 LTE, that's gonna sting.

I honestly couldn't imagine that HP's scale and "leverage" would result in the exact same delay to market that broke Palm had. Until now...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If so, what OS isn't? I'm pretty sure Apple, Android, and WebOS all have the option of giving you a dock of icons at the bottom. That's all WebOS UI is.
    I think they all are now as far as the software goes. Lack of multitasking support, USB, front camera, and removable memory is what people criticized the ipad for if I remember correctly.

from a software stand point, WebOS was ready for a tablet since launch.

There's more to a user interface than the location of the launcher icons. The card metaphor and the notification system are aspects of the UI that would have worked well with tablets since day 1. But the other guys have come up with software solutions for multitasking, that while less elegant, are surely powerful enough for most users.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 01/18/2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think they all are now as far as the software goes. Lack of multitasking support, USB, front camera, and removable memory is what people criticized the ipad for if I remember correctly.

from a UI stand point, WebOS was ready for a tablet since launch.
    Not a particularly useful one. At least Apple and Android can fill the screen with app shortcuts and folders (and Android can do widgets). Also, WebOS had no apps that would use 7-10 inches of screen real estate.

Basically, it would've been the Palm version of those crappy Android Chinese "pads" that litter mall kiosks, cheap tech stores, eBay, and Craigslist. Tablets need optimization.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, that and the intelligent notification system, card-based multi-tasking, and Just Type. How can you say that the dock is all webOS is?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 12 ... LastLast