Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    oh well, they were two years behind Apple on the phone, with tablet it looks like one year ( assuming they release it by March/April 2011) while in the middle of this brutal Android onslaught. I guess its impressive that they came with the tablet. The issue is with the phone. They should have released few more phones just to keep relevant in the industry.
    Could have sworn Palm beat Apple to market with a phone. I've been using Palm smartphones for ... about 8 years now. Is Apple's phone really that old?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I guess you are right. More leaks. The question really is what is left for them to show us on Feb 9th 2011 ?
    All of those things (and information) that hasn't leaked.

Seriously, I suspect this is very much a case of "we don't know what we don't know".
    Looks great. I can hold out until September, especially since I'd rather have a netbook than a tablet anyway.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Could have sworn Palm beat Apple to market with a phone. I've been using Palm smartphones for ... about 8 years now. Is Apple's phone really that old?
    Alexander Graham Bell who??? Apple invented the telephone right???
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Alexander Graham Bell who??? Apple invented the telephone right???
    I thought apple revolutionized the universe by their invention of the planet?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    You're spot on.

He would be more accurate if he had said beat them to a touch screen phone and optimized OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You're spot on.

He would be more accurate if he had said beat them to a touch screen phone and optimized OS.
    And that would be equally incorrect.
    Yep, apple copied a lot from Palm but most have rewritten history since then..
    You're spot on.

Don't think so. The Treo had a touch screen, optimized OS is pretty vague - optimized for what.
    Yes, the iPhone changed touchscreen phones for everyone (no mo stylus), but my Treo was definitely touch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Yeah, that is such a nonsensical statement. "Design choices like resolution are designed to make life easier for developers" ... wth? What is this, a 1980s Atari? I'm pretty sure this guy is just pulling stuff out of the air to make himself sound legit.
    Please, enlighten me then. How would a higher resolution on a new webOS phone make my life, as a developer, any easier?

I understand for tablets, etc. – more resolution means more area to do more things but for a device like a phone, a higher resolution just equates to a better looking screen.

Take the iPhone 4 for example. All it did was double the resolution and all developers had to do was ensure that their graphics were a higher DPI.

Edit: Sorry xcomputerman, first read I mistook you. I see that you weren't referring to my post but rather the post I was quoting.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Don't think so. The Treo had a touch screen, optimized OS is pretty vague - optimized for what.
    Yes, the iPhone changed touchscreen phones for everyone (no mo stylus), but my Treo was definitely touch screen.
    Its ridiculous to consider any of the early stylus based OS's as "touch" screen phones. When your primary mode of input is not ones finger, but a stylus (or physical buttons), it is not a touch screen phone in the sense that I was obviously speaking about that.

No phone OS...not Windows Mobile, not Palm, not Symbian...had put out a viable, touch focused touch screen phone prior to the iPhone.

Windows Mobile attempted to mimic it, with the introduction of the HTC touch for instance utilizing a skinned today screen and a skinned launcher. However, even then, the devices came bundled with a stylus specifically because the OS was not designed for a touch screen.

Its readily evident by a bit of common sense and context that my reference of a "Touch Screen" was one where in the user physically touches it as the mode of regular input rather than stylus input ala the Newton, Palm Pilot, Windows CE, and the other for runners of the PDA world.

The iPhone was the first phone that came out specifically engineered and made for a physical TOUCH...not through the use of external devices...sreen interface.

Seriously, there's a lot of things you can slam the iPhone for. Namely whenever anyone tries to suggest the "Simplicity" of the layout was somehow revolutionary when it basically took the standard Palm philosophy and design and prettied it up while focusing on finger input. However, its ridiculous to even suggest...or play dumb by acting like you don't understand what people are clearly saying...that it wasn't the phone that initiated the movement for all pretty much all mobile OS's to move to a finger input touch screen system.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep, apple copied a lot from Palm but most have rewritten history since then..
    Seriously, if we're going with "Touch screen obviously means any screen where you use anything to press on it" then you can't even claim Apple "stole" that from Palm since the Newton utilized it long prior to that.

There are a number of derivatives that Apple took from Palm's philosophy and style with regards to the iPhone. The focus on a touch interface rather than having to use a stylus as the primary mode of interacting with it was not one of them.
    Palm phanbois are making me like palm less and less. I dont like the apple community simply because of how arrogant they are....however palm keeps moving in that direction. STOP being poor losers people. Its a phone, not a lifestyle.

Anyways, lets all just wait and see what hp has up their sleeves. Who knows, we might get tons of big name apps. We might get 2 big name apps. NO. ONE. KNOWS.

So chill. I know having patience is NOT the America (or anyone else in the world)'s way anymore, but please at least try
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Seriously, if we're going with "Touch screen obviously means any screen where you use anything to press on it" then you can't even claim Apple "stole" that from Palm since the Newton utilized it long prior to that.

There are a number of derivatives that Apple took from Palm's philosophy and style with regards to the iPhone. The focus on a touch interface rather than having to use a stylus as the primary mode of interacting with it was not one of them.
    To be technically correct, Palm has the patent for touch screen device and phone integration and many more patent concerning touch and phone. They had those patents long before Apple or RIMM thought to come up with a touch screen phone. Those patents are the "nuclear option" if any mobile phone maker decided they wanted to sue HP Palm for some sort of patent infringement.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    phanbois
    That makes me laugh ........HA HA HA HA HA .......seriously?????
    That word is CENSORED???? HA HA HA HA

Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Its ridiculous to consider any of the early stylus based OS's as "touch" screen phones. When your primary mode of input is not ones finger, but a stylus (or physical buttons), it is not a touch screen phone in the sense that I was obviously speaking about that..
    I suggest you do a little research on what constitutes a "touch" screen. Every touch screen requires some sort of physical contact. Some required a specific type of device, some required any firm device (which is what the Treo used), and some required any device that is conductive (including the current batch of phones).

FWIW, I could (and often did) us my finger on my Treo. It wasn't very accurate, but it worked.

Apple is the ultimate derivative technology company. They invent NOTHING and then patent the crap out of it to try and protect their "IP". Then their disciples run around the internet spewing stupid crap that has no basis in fact.

Sigh...
    I didn't realize the Newton was a phone. If we're not restricting the conversation to "phones", then Apple wasn't the first to use a capacitive touch screen by any means. I remember seeing phones (and other devices) as far back as 2006 that used them. I know the technology far predates that (I think the 1980's), and suspect that devices were using them far earlier than I realized.

Again, for the record, the only "requirement" for a stylus on the Treo was that it made your "touches" more accurate.

Originally, the big push for capacitive touch screens were that they were so much brighter.
    Apple is the ultimate derivative technology company. They invent NOTHING and then patent the crap out of it to try and protect their "IP". Then their disciples run around the internet spewing stupid crap that has no basis in fact.
    I have a hard time with that. They've certainly adapted a few ideas (like the mouse) but they have also created a lot of new ideas. And I say that as someone that doesn't buy their stuff...

Here is Apple's iPad patent, filed shortly after Steve-O told everyone they weren't interested in making phones or tablets... In 2005!

Electronic device - Google Patent Search
    I suggest you do a little research on what constitutes a "touch" screen. Every touch screen requires some sort of physical contact. Some required a specific type of device, some required any firm device (which is what the Treo used), and some required any device that is conductive (including the current batch of phones).

FWIW, I could (and often did) us my finger on my Treo. It wasn't very accurate, but it worked.
    I'd consider what you're talking about more along the lines of a "push screen". Touching it merely does nothing unless the screen is 'pushed'. There's a huge difference between capitative and resistive screens.