Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    Obviously the most efficient and productive web browsers have tabs. Once the webos tablet hits, and I'm assuming it would be at least a 7inch screen, then wouldn't it make sense that tabs (together with cards) might be implemented in the web browser to give a more full screen experience? You're thoughts here...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by migs; 01/12/2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Obviously the most efficient and productive web browsers have tabs. Once the webos tablet hits, and I'm assuming it would be at least a 7inch screen, then wouldn't it make sense that tabs (together with cards) might be implemented in the web browser to give a more full screen experience? You're thoughts here...

I'd like to register my vote for this, or at least be able to run Dolphin... Did that make it into the Palm catalogue?
    I'm afraid I can't let you do that.
    No, Dolphin isn't in there, as far as I know.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    +1 for tabs.
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    What is Dolphin?
    It's like a porpoise.
    What is Dolphin?
    A web browser. On Android, we have 3 versions to choose from.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    It's like a porpoise.
    Awesome!

Dolphin is an excellent tabbed browser currently available in the Android Market. I was hoping it was in webOS already.
    Why wouldn't they implement stacks into the tablet?
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    I could be wrong, but I don't see stacks working as well on a bigger screen versus the now standered web browser tabs...

I could be wrong, but I don't see stacks working as well on a bigger screen versus the now standered web browser tabs...

Well, with a bigger screen you would be able to see a lot more of those cards in a stack, but they should do something better than just stacks, yet still take advantage of the cards metaphor.

Here's how I would like it. When you're swiping between apps, it would show you a stacks view for the web browser app, but when you're in the web browser app itself, you would do a gesture to bring up a screen filled with all the cards of all the pages you have open. I guess it would look something like how our current bookmarks look or how speed dial looks in Chrome/Opera.

For the tabbed browsers on Android, do you actually have to tap on the little tab to change to that page? If that is the case, changing "tabs" using gestures seems like a superior method for a large touchscreen device in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Well, with a bigger screen you would be able to see a lot more of those cards in a stack, but they should do something better than just stacks, yet still take advantage of the cards metaphor.

Here's how I would like it. When you're swiping between apps, it would show you a stacks view for the web browser app, but when you're in the web browser app itself, you would do a gesture to bring up a screen filled with all the cards of all the pages you have open. I guess it would look something like how our current bookmarks look or how speed dial looks in Chrome/Opera.

For the tabbed browsers on Android, do you actually have to tap on the little tab to change to that page? If that is the case, changing "tabs" using gestures seems like a superior method for a large touchscreen device in my opinion.
    Tapping the tab is actually the more intuitive move here... App to app the swipe is more intuitive.
    Stacks
    now that i think about it, i would like for the browser to give you easy "tab" access to other browser cards you have open, even if they are actually part of a different stack. I think that would be pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    Tapping the tab is actually the more intuitive move here... App to app the swipe is more intuitive.
    It's intuitive because we've been trained to do it with desktop browsers. But we also used a mouse on those desktop browsers. The point-and-click metaphor doesn't work as well when you have fingers with a tapping area much larger than a single mouse cursor. I remember being extremely relieved when I learned the swipe-down gesture, because it's always difficult for me to tap the top bar to get app menus and the connection menu, because while the tap areas may be wide for them, they are extremely narrow. It's so much more convenient to swipe down and get those menus, and the tap areas to access those menus are comparable to tabs in browsers.
    Tabs would be nice but on a pinched up screen and a person with big hands won't make things easier. I bet it's in 2.1 or 2.2 maybe.
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    now that i think about it, i would like for the browser to give you easy "tab" access to other browser cards you have open, even if they are actually part of a different stack. I think that would be pretty sweet.
    I agree althought it would eat up alot more ram that some of us pre minus users lack...
    a stack of websites for me would be a suitable fill-in for tabs if that is too burdensome. I like tabs but if its tough I'd rather efforts be focused elsewhere.
    I've got to agree with the people saying a stack is going to be better for a mobile device than tabs. Tabs take up space on the screen and even with a 10" screen it sill significant. I don't know how developed the stack is right now but developing it further is probably a much better solution rather than trying to add a tab browser.
    check out the Notion Ink Adam tablet and its concept of panes. I think that is sufficient for browsing and would support the use case of looking at several panes at the same time like weather, maps and site content for your vacation destination.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast