Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Or any tablet for that matter. I recently used an iPad for a week, and a rooted Nook Color for about 3 days. My primary use for a tablet is PDF reading, and the 4:3 aspect ratio was perfect, although the 9.7 inch screen could be bigger. I was able to annotate and read standard 81/2 x 11 pdf docs with no problem.

The same can't be said for the Nook. While reading ePub docs was perfect, PDF's were slow and small. The widescreen just killed any chance of it being useful to me. As a test I out a PDF on my 10.1 inch netbook, and flipped it sideways. Still too small to read comfortably with zooming and panning around like a crazy person.

Now the problem I see is that all these manufacturers are showing 16:9 widescreen devices, whether they are Android, Windows or something else. And these are great for videos, but that is the least of my needs.

Has anyone heard of any other manufacturer announcing a 4:3 tablet? (other than the 8 inch black and white Asus)

I have been waiting for a Palm tablet since the first time I played with a Pre, it is perfect, but without a 4:3 option, I just can't do it. I may have to bit the bullet and get an iPad... Please Palm, please deliver something sweet next week.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    I'm with you. If all I was going to do with a tablet is watch wide-screen movies, 16:9 would be fine, but games, document viewing/editing, surfing, and email all feel cramped on a 16:9 screen either vertically in landscape mode or horizontally in portrait.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Or any tablet for that matter. I recently used an iPad for a week, and a rooted Nook Color for about 3 days. My primary use for a tablet is PDF reading, and the 4:3 aspect ratio was perfect, although the 9.7 inch screen could be bigger. I was able to annotate and read standard 81/2 x 11 pdf docs with no problem.
    HP's Slate has a 1024x768 resolution, the same as the Apple iPad. I would be absolutely shocked if they went with a different resolution, let alone a different aspect ratio.

(OTOH, my tx2 touchsmart notebook is 16x10...)
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    HP's Slate has a 1024x768 resolution, the same as the Apple iPad. I would be absolutely shocked if they went with a different resolution, let alone a different aspect ratio.

(OTOH, my tx2 touchsmart notebook is 16x10...)
    The HP slate uses a netbook screen 1024x600. The specs say:
    8.9-inch diagonal WSVGA HP Touchscreen (1024 x 600 or 1024 x 768 for some applications)
    It means is that the native screen resolution is 1024x600 however, you can set it to a non-proportional 1024x768 if need be. This is not a solution for PDF's though.

I hope Palm doesn't use the slate form factor, and I don't really think they will. My guess is that they had something in the works alread, before HP purchased them.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    I can't stand 16:9 as an aspect ratio for computing. It's not tall enough. While having a wider screen is nice, the height of a 4:3 is better. For me, the best middle of the road solution, and one tablet makers would be wise to keep in mind, is 16:10. My next monitor will be 16:10, which means I'll be buying online since all the stores only carry 16:9 monitors.

In the monitor world it's all about cost. Same resolutions and sizes as TV's means lower cost panels. Sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I can't stand 16:9 as an aspect ratio for computing. It's not tall enough. While having a wider screen is nice, the height of a 4:3 is better. For me, the best middle of the road solution, and one tablet makers would be wise to keep in mind, is 16:10. My next monitor will be 16:10, which means I'll be buying online since all the stores only carry 16:9 monitors.

In the monitor world it's all about cost. Same resolutions and sizes as TV's means lower cost panels. Sucks.
    I like low cost
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I want to see a screen size greater than 10". If they do it right with the three tablets, I'd hope for a 15", 10", and 7".
    10" just isn't a big enough screen imo.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    16.9 or bust.
    I like 16:10

in terms of being to short, isn't that solved by rotating the tablet 90 degrees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    in terms of being to short, isn't that solved by rotating the tablet 90 degrees?
    Correct. At that point it becomes too narrow.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I like 16:10

If you are reading a PDF that is based on a Letter sized piece of paper, even a 10" 16:10 or 16:9 screen will be too small to be usable. I tried with my netbook, and it was a no go. Going with a 100% width, about 30% of the screen goes unused. And the document is really small.

The iPad got the aspect ratio right for Letter size documents, but I wish the screen was about an inch bigger. The overall size could be kept the same, though, with a thinner bezel.

Yes, I have a problem...
  12.    #12  
    Crap, looks like 16:10 is the defacto standard for all tablets... Please Palm, please give me an alternative to the iPad!

Yes, I have a problem...
    Do you guys noticed that companies are aligning themselves with carries, Motorola XOOM is for Verizon, LG G-Slate for T-Mobile. So the next big company left is HPalm for Sprint

T-Mobile and LG announce G-Slate tablet; HSPA+, Android 3.0 | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Wonder what HTC will come out with and for what carrier.
    I'm hoping for a widescreen tablet. It would make it much easier to run multiple apps next to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Do you guys noticed that companies are aligning themselves with carries, Motorola XOOM is for Verizon, LG G-Slate for T-Mobile. So the next big company left is HPalm for Sprint

T-Mobile and LG announce G-Slate tablet; HSPA+, Android 3.0 | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Wonder what HTC will come out with and for what carrier.
    Sprint announced the 4g blackberry playbook.

BlackBerry 4G PlayBook with… 4G support coming to Sprint this summer | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Yup so far it's:

Verizon: Xoom (android)
    T-Mobile: G-Slate (android)
    Sprint: Playbook
    ATT: Moto 10" tablet

Sooo.... Now we need a HP Veer on all four of em!

What do you guys think will happen?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I'm sure each carrier is going to want more than one tablet each lol
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I want to see a screen size greater than 10". If they do it right with the three tablets, I'd hope for a 15", 10", and 7".
    10" just isn't a big enough screen imo.

10" isn't big enough but 7" is?! wy do people always want screens real big? If you want you a 15" screen you might as well get a laptop,or netbook.Its a tablet so it's supposed to be smaller then most laptops and netbooks.Thats what makes it fit into the category of tablet/slate. Any bigger then it would be a netbook.
  19.    #19  
    12" to 14" 4:3 screen would be my ultimate, exactly the size and ratio of a piece of paper. Keep the Bezel small and the device light, and you have my winner.

Yes, I have a problem...
    I bet it will be 16:10 like most of the rest out there. While 4:3 might be better for .pdf's, I think the vast majority of the target audience will care less about .pdfs and will be more interested with how webpages and video display. While 4:3 seems more pleasant for reading it isn't usually a problem for webcontent to display on 16:9. It is very annoying to have black bars on the screen for video playback. Cropping and zooming is not the answer either. Because of this I hope 16:9 will be the standard even though it may be a trade off on reading certain things.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast