Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm sure each carrier is going to want more than one tablet each lol
    It looks like Samsung is positioning itself to be the "other" tablet on each of the carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It looks like Samsung is positioning itself to be the "other" tablet on each of the carriers.
    That would be a smart move. Make your product available to as many people as possible.
    16:9
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I think 16:10 would be perfect, as would a Wi-Fi only tablet that isn't bound to a carrier. I don't need mobile 3G when I have FreeTether. =)

Unless of course they lower the data plan rates.
    I vote for 16:10 also. Been using that resolution with my monitor for over 4 years and I like it.
  6.    #26  
    Looks a lot like 4:3 to me:

Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    9' by 16'
  8.    #28  
    Looks like my dream of a 4:3 competitor to the iPad is coming true!!!
    First up is information from one of our original trusted sources who claims that the Opal will measure 180 x 144 x 13mm (making it a bit shorter and wider than the 190.1 x 120.5 x 12-mm Galaxy Tab) and feature a 1,024 x 768 pixel TFT LCD display. We're told that the bigger Topaz tablet will ship about three months before Opal and measures in at 241 x 190 x 13mm (making it nearly identical to the 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4-mm iPad) with a pixel resolution that could be the same as the Opal (our source wasn't 100 percent on this).
    HP / Palm tablet to feature Touchstone dock, cloud storage, Beats audio and Tap-to-Share smartphone integration -- Engadget
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    Looks like my dream of a 4:3 competitor to the iPad is coming true!!!
    Dw it will be 4:3.
    Quote Originally Posted by M0dular View Post
    Dw it will be 4:3.
    off topic a little...

what's "Dw" mean?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    off topic a little...

what's "Dw" mean?
    "Don't worry?" I think...

Yes, I have a problem...
    The 4:3 makes sense if HP wants to continue their history of making it easy to port iPhone apps...and maybe now on into iPad apps.

Kinda makes me a little sad to think that HP might always be a year behind Apple on that front and setting themselves up to be following them by the nose on at least the display resolution front...especially if the rumors of the higher resolution for the iPad 2 turn out to be right.
    mcclark, we are tablet-requirement soulmates! I've been posting on mobile read about the need of a 4:3 android tablet to compete with the iPad, OEMs are boneheads obsessed with 16:9 - why donīt they just copy the industry leader?
    I need a tablet to annotate A4/letter PDFs and the iPad JUST about makes it (although itīs horribly heavy). With 16:9 even my Acer 11.6 netbook screen in portrait mode sucks for PDFs. 9.7-10.1 are just usable, a 4:3 12.1 inch tablet would be ideal for the academic market. The kno is too big, and amazingly heavy.
    Now, if Palm is one year late and they follow Samsungīs/Moto lead, they will introduce a product more expensive than the iPad!
    Thatīs why my hopes lie with some chinese OEM delivering 200 bucks 4:3 Android tablets with a semi decent processor...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    The 4:3 makes sense if HP wants to continue their history of making it easy to port iPhone apps...and maybe now on into iPad apps.
    iPad is 4:3...

I'm with those who say 4:3. 16:9 is great for, well... movies. With my iPad, I don't tend to watch a whole lot of movies.

I think that Rene Ritchie from TiPb sums it up very nicely (he's talking about the iPad, which also has a 4:3 screen):
    "Of course, the iPad isn’t only a video player. There are other forms of content to consume. For web browsing, even 16:10 sometimes feels too “short”, and you need to scroll more than you like. For books, a narrow page may not be ideal, and with a two-page spread, those pages will seem squat, squarish."

TiPb
    I thought some of the web looked squished on my 16:9 monitor. Then I spun my monitor 90 degrees because it's actually designed to do that and it lined up perfectly.

Also I like the previous statement that a 16:9 makes side-by-side windows look a lot nicer.
    I like 16:9 for side by side. If I was using it to read books, the wide screen would allow me to fill the screen and have larger text for my tired eyes. I can see the convenience for some folks, but I'm hoping I can get something that is 16:9 (or 16:10) like every other screen I have.
    16:10 is the perfect compromise between 4:3 and 16:9. Personally I am very put off by the 4:3 aspect ratio that the PalmPad is most likely to sport, ie. going by the 1024x768 resolution and also the leaked pictures.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Maybe the 9.7" will be 4:3 and the 7.1" will be 16:9
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
    mcclark, we are tablet-requirement soulmates! I've been posting on mobile read about the need of a 4:3 android tablet to compete with the iPad, OEMs are boneheads obsessed with 16:9 - why donīt they just copy the industry leader?
    I need a tablet to annotate A4/letter PDFs and the iPad JUST about makes it (although itīs horribly heavy). With 16:9 even my Acer 11.6 netbook screen in portrait mode sucks for PDFs. 9.7-10.1 are just usable, a 4:3 12.1 inch tablet would be ideal for the academic market. The kno is too big, and amazingly heavy.
    Now, if Palm is one year late and they follow Samsungīs/Moto lead, they will introduce a product more expensive than the iPad!
    Thatīs why my hopes lie with some chinese OEM delivering 200 bucks 4:3 Android tablets with a semi decent processor...
    Here are the only other 4:3 tablets I have seen, all 9.7:

Azpen Innovation Inc. Under Construction
    Azpen shows off dual, dual-boot Windows / Android tablets (hands-on) -- Engadget

And:
    eFun Nextbook Next4 and Next6 hands-on -- Engadget

Yes, I have a problem...
    Doesnt the latest docs say 1280x 768? Thats not 4:3 but not 16:9 either. There are too many ratios these days. I wish there was less!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12