Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    in the voice of Will Ferrell from "Elf":

"What's a plampad, I want one!"

It would be one thing to make one spelling mistake, but to write it a dozen times in the article, each time the wrong way, is so bad. Who runs tech surf? Their level of "news worthiness" just dropped a notch.

HP WebOS PlamPad: HP to Release Three WebOS Plampad Tablets | Tech Surf

EDIT: Just realized it was tech surf not tech crunch, an even more obvious problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp2 View Post
    in the voice of Will Ferrell from "Elf":

"What's a plampad, I want one!"

It would be one thing to make one spelling mistake, but to write it a dozen times in the article, each time the wrong way, is so bad. Who runs tech surf? Their level of "news worthiness" just dropped a notch.

HP WebOS PlamPad: HP to Release Three WebOS Plampad Tablets | Tech Surf

EDIT: Just realized it was tech surf not tech crunch, an even more obvious problem.
    I still hate the name. I smell a merger.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Now, now, don't make fun of the dyslexic.
    Uh this was yesterday news ...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course, that must be it, because HP has such a long history of imitating Apple...

iPaq. If that wasn't imitation I don't know what is.
    And on top of that most think these are just old Slate prototypes. But here's to hoping anyways...
    <<threads merged>>

Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Are you serious?

The iPaq was released by Compaq, not HP. It was acquired by HP when they bought Compaq. the iPaq was released by Comapq years before Apple released the iPhone, and was not a phone but a PDA.

Exactly what do you think the iPaq was copying (though the argument could be made that they were copy the Palm PDAs)?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Uh this was yesterday news ...
    Lots of threads merged here today, so if you were referring to the post I provided, read it again.... carefully.
    Are you serious?

The iPaq was released by Compaq, not HP. It was acquired by HP when they bought Compaq. the iPaq was released by Comapq years before Apple released the iPhone, and was not a phone but a PDA.

Exactly what do you think the iPaq was copying (though the argument could be made that they were copy the Palm PDAs)?
    And, FWIW, the first ipaq was released sometime in 2000 and the first ipod was released in Oct 2001...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Are you serious?

My (limited) research showed that the iPaq was released in '04. I see now that the name was originally a computer for Compaq. So I guess maybe Apple imitated Compaq? I'm referring to the "i" prefix of course. Anyways, I stand corrected.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Considering it is on the 4G Network, this is a good possibility. If this makes calls (non skype) this is my next Palm purchase. If not, I will get the phone version.
    Voogle?
    My (limited) research showed that the iPaq was released in '04. I see now that the name was originally a computer for Compaq. So I guess maybe Apple imitated Compaq? I'm referring to the "i" prefix of course. Anyways, I stand corrected.
    Which validates my original point. The notion that somehow Apple "invented" or even "originated" any of this is the stuff of dreamers.

The real fact is that few things in the tech world are truly original, and the companies that are highly visible aren't the originators of much of anything. Even the first "merging" of an iPod and a phone was a collaboration.
    Which validates my original point. The notion that somehow Apple "invented" or even "originated" any of this is the stuff of dreamers.
    You don't think HP's consumer line of notebooks and desktops are, at the very least, heavily influenced by Apple's design work?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You don't think HP's consumer line of notebooks and desktops are, at the very least, heavily influenced by Apple's design work?
    Sure. Just as HP has probably been inspired by or influenced by a million other designers, same as Apple. Everyone builds upon what's come before. That's just the way things work. To say that Apple is solely responsible for the technology industry today and doesn't borrow from others is just foolish. If all the all the other tech companies disappeared tomorrow, Apple would have a very hard time. Parts of the original iPhone were heavily influenced by the Treo. The MP3 player was created before Apple came out with the iPod. Microsoft created the Tablet PC market before the iPad existed. Oracle created the NetPC before the iMac was created. Apple licensed Xerox PARC labs original windowing system and mouse. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I personally think iPad and PalmPad are terrible names (pPad's even worse), as I thought about the Wii and Pre and Pixi, but at the end of the day consumers still bought those products, either because of marketing or functionality or a combination of the two. Regardless of the name, the PalmPad will sell some units. How successful it becomes remains to be seen.
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Nope. That basic design long predated the iPad. Want to see pictures?

The real fact is that few things in the tech world are truly original, and the companies that are highly visible aren't the originators of much of anything. Even the first "merging" of an iPod and a phone was a collaboration.
    Apple iMac: 1998
    Compaq iPaq 2000

Apple iPad: 2010
    HP palmPad: 2011 (maybe)

Who's imitating who?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    [image]
    >implying that HP branded iPods were copycating Apple.
    FYI, HP and Apple did a partnership with iPods being branded and distributed by HP. It was a business deal, not copycatting.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Nope. That basic design long predated the iPad. Want to see pictures?
    Have you seen the Envy?
    From the horse's mouth: