Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Neither the sketches nor the specs mean anything. We all knew HP was planning to announce a iPa... (cough) pPad at CES. We all suspected it would have cameras. We all could have guessed it would be as much like the iPad as possible because how else are they going to facilitate simple iPad app ports. I'm not sure what part of this constitutes news. What is it people are so excited about?

There also seems to be a disconnect with some, that everyone else will be releasing tablets and pads, many of which, sound more ambitious. The iPad 2 will be announced, no doubt, at a special event, and will likely send everyone back to the drawing board. In other words, the pPad, as rumored, sounds like it is just enough to get on store shelves and be passed over for better offerings. I will wait for better rumors than this.
    Some folks have been begging for any news. No doubt this is no biggie to iPhans, but this is a Palm forum.

That said, one big nugget that was (largely) unknown, it's coming to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Neither the sketches nor the specs mean anything. We all knew HP was planning to announce a iPa... (cough) pPad at CES. We all suspected it would have cameras. We all could have guessed it would be as much like the iPad as possible because how else are they going to facilitate simple iPad app ports. I'm not sure what part of this constitutes news. What is it people are so excited about?

There also seems to be a disconnect with some, that everyone else will be releasing tablets and pads, many of which, sound more ambitious. The iPad 2 will be announced, no doubt, at a special event, and will likely send everyone back to the drawing board. In other words, the pPad, as rumored, sounds like it is just enough to get on store shelves and be passed over for better offerings. I will wait for better rumors than this.
    .... The PalmPad with WebOs is more interesting to me than an iPad of any size with a 24mp camera and a 900gb hard drive.... well, the 900 gb hard drive would be nice...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

And if true, that means yet another Tablet, tied to a carrier contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Engadget just weighed in:
    On top of all that we feel obligated to point out that we've yet to receive an invitation to any sort of HP / Palm event at CES -- in past years, we've received invitations to both Palm and HP events long before the middle of December -- and we've been reliably informed that HP's floor presence at the show is smaller than in recent years. That just doesn't seem like you'd blow out a huge four-device tablet launch, does it? Rest assured that we'll clear our schedules for an HP / Palm event in a second, but something about an early January reveal just isn't adding up right now.
    Yeah, 'tis possible that this comes later at a specific event.... possibly in February. Maybe CES is for the phone, or maybe just printers. I think that if they miss the CES window, they had better have scheduled some sort of event later.

Some folks have been begging for any news. No doubt this is no biggie to iPhans, but this is a Palm forum.

and WiMax
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Not entirely a bad deal. You would still be able to buy it at full price and not have a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Any carrier is going to want the devices they carry to be tied to them. However, the article only mentioned one device tied to Sprint.

Also, if past history is any indicator, these are able to be "untied" as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Engadget just weighed in:
    On top of all that we feel obligated to point out that we've yet to receive an invitation to any sort of HP / Palm event at CES -- in past years, we've received invitations to both Palm and HP events long before the middle of December -- and we've been reliably informed that HP's floor presence at the show is smaller than in recent years. That just doesn't seem like you'd blow out a huge four-device tablet launch, does it? Rest assured that we'll clear our schedules for an HP / Palm event in a second, but something about an early January reveal just isn't adding up right now.
    that is definitely not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully word will come that they've rented a museum for one of the famous CES parties and palm will be the surprise sponsor...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sure.

- It's mostly portrait-oriented, which is a no-no in a device with no portrait keyboard.
    - Native apps are still barebones, mostly. We can't even compete with the media player on a Samsung Galaxy Tab, much less iTunes on the iPad.
    - Something will need to fill up the space of a 10-inch display other than 4 icons at the bottom.
    - There are no native content apps aside from perhaps Amazon MP3 which is a non-factor. If you rely on carriers to fill this role, you'll get stuck with junk like Sprint Music Store "Plus" or Sprint TV.

Portrait is the format of paper documents - not a bad thing in that respect.
    Apps are less of an issue when you look at a device that can easily display std format web pages - the apps are leveraging the web for the most part already the app is needed to reformat the screen data to something that you can consume. Further app use hasn't driven phone purchases or lined up well with use of phone app stores for most users.

Besides iTunes what are the native content apps for the iPad?

By this definition isn't every pad form factor from anyone but apple going to fail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that is definitely not what I wanted to hear. Hopefully word will come that they've rented a museum for one of the famous CES parties and palm will be the surprise sponsor...
    I hope this turns out to be the case, actually. If they want to start playing with the Apples off the world, they should act like it with equivalent independent HP events of their own. No better year to kick off a real equivalent to WWDC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    By this definition isn't every pad form factor from anyone but apple going to fail?
    Honestly? Probably. Honeycomb has a shot though.
    I hope this turns out to be the case, actually. If they want to start playing with the Apples off the world, they should act like it with equivalent independent HP events of their own. No better year to kick off a real equivalent to WWDC.
    Maybe they're not trying "play with the Apples off (sic) the world", and don't want to "act like it".

I've seen some pretty disappointing Apple events, and some pretty exciting CES events where Palm was just "one of the tech companies".

But, I'm pretty sure whatever they do, it will be wrong. To some folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Portrait is the format of paper documents - not a bad thing in that respect.
    If this were meant to strictly be an eReader, yes. But as an all-around media/web/app device with no physical keyboard, no. And it's amateur hour to have a device with an accelerometer that gets used by just a fraction of the software available for it.

Apps are less of an issue when you look at a device that can easily display std format web pages - the apps are leveraging the web for the most part already the app is needed to reformat the screen data to something that you can consume. Further app use hasn't driven phone purchases or lined up well with use of phone app stores for most users.
    This defense didn't work for Apple and their Web apps when the iPhone first rolled out, and it hasn't worked for any competitor either. Take a look at an iPad commercial. ANY of them. How many do you see of the iPad displaying standard format web pages?

Besides iTunes what are the native content apps for the iPad?
    iTunes and iBooks encompass books/movies/TV/music. Besides that, they had third party launch apps from comic book readers AND content providers along with magazines created for their format.

Even Samsung plopped on book stores, magazine stores, and their own branded "media hub" with the Galaxy Tab.

Relatively speaking with what we know of the competition as of yet (And I say that as someone who does not own and does not want the current iPad)....yes.
    Maybe they're not trying "play with the Apples off (sic) the world"...
    Yikes. Thanks for pointing out the typo, Herb. Will try to be a bit neater with the spelling next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    blah blah blah and then the gold nugget....

consumer version of the PalmPad will run on Sprint's fast 4G network, but otherwise it has hardware specs nearly identical to Apple’s iPad. There are minor differences, of course: It has a mini HDMI port, for example, while the iPad requires a special dongle for video output. And there are front- and rear-facing cameras (1.3 megapixel and 3 megapixel, respectively), both with LED flashes.

I hope the part in bold is not true. As an iPad owner, I can tell you the memory is not sufficient.
    Just out of curiosity here, why do so many want a tablet capable of making voice calls? If it's capable of making voice calls that means you're tied to an entirely new phone/data plan on top of your already existing mobile phone (unless you plan on doing away with it).

The idea of a contract/subscription-free device with the ability to tether a bluetooth headset or headphones for voip calls sounds a lot nicer than having to pay $xxx a month for data and voice.

The iPad did it right with their subscription model: pay as you go.
    Yikes. Thanks for pointing out the typo, Herb. Will try to be a bit neater with the spelling next time.
    So sorry you didn't notice the rest of the post - which was really my point, I just wanted to make sure no one accused me of misquoting you.
    So sorry you didn't notice the rest of the post - which was really my point, I just wanted to make sure no one accused me of misquoting you.
    Looks like an accurate quote/cut-n-paste. Well done.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    We're obviously very intrigued by the specs -- USB 3.0, really?! -- and the fact that HP may not change the look and feel of the Slate all that much, but we'd be very very surprised if this were all to happen at CES. Firstly, we've heard a number of times that HP wasn't planning to release a tablet until later in 2011, and to wait this long to simply slap webOS into the HP Slate's shell seems almost foolish. What's more, repurposing the Slate means HP either ported webOS to Intel and threw battery life out the window, or completely swapped out the Slate's Intel-based internals for an ARM chipset without changing the exterior design at all. Needless to say, both options seem like completely inefficient and muddled ways to get a tablet onto the market.
    Three HP Slate-like webOS tablets coming at CES? We're not so sure. -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Just out of curiosity here, why do so many want a tablet capable of making voice calls? If it's capable of making voice calls that means you're tied to an entirely new phone/data plan on top of your already existing mobile phone (unless you plan on doing away with it).

The idea of a contract/subscription-free device with the ability to tether a bluetooth headset or headphones for voip calls sounds a lot nicer than having to pay $xxx a month for data and voice.

The iPad did it right with their subscription model: pay as you go.
    I can't speak for others, but I want a two devices that let me use the same number, same calling plan. I'd settle for the VOIP option, but would really prefer the choice mentioned.

As a side note, I think (though I won't swear to the price) that I'm able to add devices to my current Sprint plan for $10 each.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast