Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Hopefully, it's not a 5 inch device.
    Don't know, but when it comes to HP you never know. They've already said behind closed doors (HP corporate wide meeting) they plan to release two (2) new webOS devices every month in 2011.

That a bunch of options and a 5" PalmPad may just be one of them. I suspect they won't make the Samsung mistake and make a smaller device to compete against Apple. HP need 10" to compete/compare and provide the 10+ hours of battery life being offered in the iPad.

Kinda hard to do that in something smaller like 5", 7", or otherwise. I hope they go for broke make the best possible tablet with all the bells and whistles and the undercut their margin to sell them like Hot Cakes!

GO FOR THE WIN! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    They've already said behind closed doors (HP corporate wide meeting) they plan to release two (2) new webOS devices every month in 2011.
    I would like two new devices every month, but I'm pretty sure the rumor was "one device every 2 months". Though, 7+ devices planned for the first half of 2011 would be awesome.
    Last edited by JLegacy; 01/02/2011 at 01:53 AM.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    I would like two new devices every month, but I'm pretty sure the rumor was "one device every 2 months". Though, 7+ devices planned for the first half of 2011 would be awesome.
    It's not a rumor. Phil McKinney said in a all employee meeting that the company would release "one webOS phone every two months in 2011".
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    i think there will be 3 form factors with webOS, one of them being a tablet, being introduced at CES... all signs are pointing that way

Topaz(palmPald)
    Broadway(Pixi 2)
    Mantaray( Pre HD/ ~4 inch screen slab phone)
    I agree with this except I think the mantaray is going to be the teen phone with a 3.1 inch screen slab. I hope I am wrong

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    here's to hoping the roadrunner hd is unveiled at ces
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    i would buy a pre phone again if it only came with a 4.3 screen. having the evo i cant really go back to a smaller screen
    Does anyone know when, if it is happening, Palm is supposed to give their keynote at CES?
    I follow a lot of blogs, and I haven't heard of anyone getting an invitation to a Palm or HP event.
    I might be the only one but I really don't like the name palmpad and hope that hp/palm has already come up with a better name,if toshiba hadn't used and abused folio I would say they should recycle the Foleo brand. However,I figured I can't be upset without coming up with a replacement myself so here it goes Palm Phlet or even Palm Pamphlet. I know this community is really creative so I want to hear others ideas too.
    Yeah, lots of rumors, but nothing substantial. Same thing every time I check in here. Oooooh, HP is a powerful brand name so everything will be good. LOL. Yeah, HP's done a bang up job of taking over other tech companies.

Article from April, 2010 regarding the HP takeover of Palm. It's been even worse than expected, in my honest opinion.

Why HP Is Buying Palm And Why It Will Fail

webOS development appears to be dead. The only webOS 2.0 device available (unlocked from Palm directly because no carrier wanted it) is incredibly buggy. We've had ONE OS update in 9 months and ZERO new products. wheeeeee FAIL
  11. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Or... HP/Palm could be working hard at getting all the ducks lined up to make a really big splash (CES or HP event... who knows). They have to make a big splash, so by trickle stuff out. The Pre 2 was not intended to be the big splash.

I'm as frustrated as everyone about the lack of new hardware, but for the sake of the webOS ecosystem, I'd rather wait and have them jump 10 feet back into the game than take a bunch of 1 foot steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    Or... HP/Palm could be working hard at getting all the ducks lined up to make a really big splash (CES or HP event... who knows). They have to make a big splash, so by trickle stuff out. The Pre 2 was not intended to be the big splash.

I'm as frustrated as everyone about the lack of new hardware, but for the sake of the webOS ecosystem, I'd rather wait and have them jump 10 feet back into the game than take a bunch of 1 foot steps.
    I agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Yeah, lots of rumors, but nothing substantial. Same thing every time I check in here. Oooooh, HP is a powerful brand name so everything will be good. LOL. Yeah, HP's done a bang up job of taking over other tech companies.

Article from April, 2010 regarding the HP takeover of Palm. It's been even worse than expected, in my honest opinion.

Why HP Is Buying Palm And Why It Will Fail

webOS development appears to be dead. The only webOS 2.0 device available (unlocked from Palm directly because no carrier wanted it) is incredibly buggy. We've had ONE OS update in 9 months and ZERO new products. wheeeeee FAIL
    What a load of nonsense.
    WebOS development may "appear to be dead" to you, but that's certainly not the case. WebOS is being developed and tested. New apps are being done not only in-house by HP, but by other companies.

You have no basis for "because no carrier wanted it" other than speculation. Not only that, it appears that it is coming to Verizon (note the iventory information for Best Buy). I think you need to count again on how many new products were availble in the last 9 months. I know it's not many, but it's more than "zero".
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What a load of nonsense.
    WebOS development may "appear to be dead" to you, but that's certainly not the case. WebOS is being developed and tested. New apps are being done not only in-house by HP, but by other companies.

You have no basis for "because no carrier wanted it" other than speculation. Not only that, it appears that it is coming to Verizon (note the iventory information for Best Buy). I think you need to count again on how many new products were availble in the last 9 months. I know it's not many, but it's more than "zero".
    I suspect he was basing his comments on observed results, not on hopeful desires or "coming months" promises.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I suspect he was basing his comments on observed results, not on hopeful desires or "coming months" promises.
    So like him, you believe NO new products have come out in the last 9 months? It is comments like this that make me completely disregard the rest of what a person says. You gloss over actual facts, your opinions mean nothing.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    So like him, you believe NO new products have come out in the last 9 months? It is comments like this that make me completely disregard the rest of what a person says. You gloss over actual facts, your opinions mean nothing.
    I know people here like to get hung up on technicalities, but for the sake of being rational adults, can we agree that by "ZERO new products" he meant devices that were not a Pre or Pixi refresh on a different network?

His larger point about the lack of tangible progress is still quite valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I know people here like to get hung up on technicalities, but for the sake of being rational adults, can we agree that by "ZERO new products" he meant devices that were not a Pre or Pixi refresh on a different network?

His larger point about the lack of tangible progress is still quite valid.
    Meh, that would be kind of like saying Windows7 failed because it was just fixing all the problems to become what Vista should have been in the first place. The Pre2 is what the Plus should have been and if they had launched it last January it would have been successful. I gain confidence when I see a company fix their mistakes and finish what they started. The fact that they are a year late doesn't make me happy, but the size and horsepower of the Pre2 definitely has a place in a family of devices, just as the Pearl and Torch did for Blackberry, and the smaller android phones we are starting to see from Motorola and HTC. The fact that we have amazing HD TV's that are affordable now doesn't negate the accomplishment of previous tech that was really good for the time period it was invented in.

I think the Pre2 would be perfect for a lot of people I know, but it can't be successful as a one-size-fits-all device like the iPhone does. Hopefully HP knows that and will dazzle us with a family of great devices... and soooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Meh, that would be kind of like saying Windows7 failed because it was just fixing all the problems to become what Vista should have been in the first place. The Pre2 is what the Plus should have been and if they had launched it last January it would have been successful.
    This assumes that the Pre and Pixi failed on Verizon because they were too slow and didn't have "stacks" and "Just Type". Is there anyone who really believes this? Or that if such a processor was available then that Palm would've gotten it to market before Motorola did in the Droid X and Droid 2? That would've excited developers to get onboard despite missing vital APIs left and right?

I mean, the retcon of "Well, if they could've launched the Pre on Sprint in late January or February, it would've been more successful" makes logical sense to me. The one you cite here doesn't.

I gain confidence when I see a company fix their mistakes and finish what they started. The fact that they are a year late doesn't make me happy, but the size and horsepower of the Pre2 definitely has a place in a family of devices, just as the Pearl and Torch did for Blackberry, and the smaller android phones we are starting to see from Motorola and HTC. The fact that we have amazing HD TV's that are affordable now doesn't negate the accomplishment of previous tech that was really good for the time period it was invented in.
    I guess I am amazed that anyone sees the Pre 2 as fixing mistakes or "finishing what Palm started". It garnered far less attention, sold on far less carriers, arrived with new OS-level bugs, and didn't alter the fortunes of the company or the platform one iota. They didn't even fix manufacturing defects so much as they switched to different materials altogether.

As for CES, I'm looking at Engadget's CES blog page. On the right side, they have a handy calendar for every event they will be doing a liveblog of (i.e. the events that anybody cares about). The 5th and 6th have events from Microsoft, Motorola, Samsung, Verizon, T-Mobile....heck, even Dell and Sony. No HP. No Palm.

They're welcome to go the press release route that Sprint seems to be going, but..probably not the best way to instill confidence that they are ready for primetime.
    absolutely no intrest in other tablets.. but you put my favorite OS on one with beefed up hardware backed by a multi-national multi-billion dollar strong arm and i would love to fall asleep in a plane watching the expendables on one
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Did anyone see Scoble's tweets from last night? He mentioned going to a pre-CES debate between webos and Android fan boys then later he mentioned that a VP from HP would be there. Finally, he mentioned that a VP convinced him to wait till February before buying any tablet. I am guessing that was the HP VP and that Scoble got to see the PalmPad.