Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 278
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    So maybe they are demo'ing the devices to potential corporate clients by invitation. They picked FOX to leak the pads to so they could get the word out to a broad audience that these are coming. They picked Engadget to leak the techie stuff about webos 2.0 for all the current users. But the devices may not quite be ready for a direct press invite to the CES conference room.

    Speculation here but makes sense.
    Or, maybe having established a pattern the last two years, Palm is going to do the same thing, in this same room, that they did in 2009 and 2010...show everyone new hardware. Perhaps they plan to wait to invite the press until the last minute to try to steal the show? Right now press invites are probably get lost in the great mass of them that typically come from CES. I wouldn't be surprised if Palm sent out press invites a couple of days before the event. Or, perhaps the sites complaining they don't have an invite aren't being invited at all, but other press sites may actually have invites already? Lots of possibilities, a lack of hardware, though, is something a highly doubt.
  2. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Or, maybe having established a pattern the last two years, Palm is going to do the same thing, in this same room, that they did in 2009 and 2010...show everyone new hardware. Perhaps they plan to wait to invite the press until the last minute to try to steal the show? Right now press invites are probably get lost in the great mass of them that typically come from CES. I wouldn't be surprised if Palm sent out press invites a couple of days before the event. Or, perhaps the sites complaining they don't have an invite aren't being invited at all, but other press sites may actually have invites already? Lots of possibilities, a lack of hardware, though, is something a highly doubt.
    What pattern is that the one where they announce new hardware @ ces then releases it some months later after the excitement for said device wears off, then ponder why they have poor sales that pattern?

    Not really the best pattern to be continuing with.
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    What pattern is that the one where they announce new hardware @ ces then releases it some months later after the excitement for said device wears off, then ponder why they have poor sales that pattern?

    Not really the best pattern to be continuing with.
    Let's see, in 2009 they did your spin. In 2010, they announced new phones, and released them a few days later.

    Uhuh, well-established pattern there.
  4. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Let's see, in 2009 they did your spin. In 2010, they announced new phones, and released them a few days later.

    Uhuh, well-established pattern there.
    Remember now because some of us live in the states does not mean the rest of the world does.

  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Or, maybe having established a pattern the last two years, Palm is going to do the same thing, in this same room, that they did in 2009 and 2010...show everyone new hardware. Perhaps they plan to wait to invite the press until the last minute to try to steal the show? Right now press invites are probably get lost in the great mass of them that typically come from CES. I wouldn't be surprised if Palm sent out press invites a couple of days before the event. Or, perhaps the sites complaining they don't have an invite aren't being invited at all, but other press sites may actually have invites already? Lots of possibilities, a lack of hardware, though, is something a highly doubt.
    Sure they would invite the press if the devices were close to ready but if they will not be available for over a month, lets say, may make sense to have a more selected invite list of their large clients and keep some semblance of NDA. No need to leak too far in advance and tip off the competition as they are after all, HP, (and the press is curious about the Palm acquisition), so HP can get plenty of press coverage whenever they are ready.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I work in a hospital and could not physically carry a laptop or tablet with me everywhere. I need something that would fit in a holster on my belt or on the waistband of my scrubs.
    A galaxy tab sized device would fit perfectly in my white coat pocket. I could totally see using one as my phone/tablet. In fact if they hadn't disabled the phone functions on the galaxy tab I probably would be buying one today given the epocrates news.
  7. #227  
    Phone, shmone. I just want the food spread they had last year.
    Visor->650->Pre
  8. crg28's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Another Apple strategy "validated" by HP. I wonder if they will call it WWPDK, and rent some space on the Apple campus to insure maximum press coverage. I remember when Apple was criticized for this sort of thing. Now, it is the only sensible way to do a major release.

    I predict Ruby is shopping for a black, mock-neck right now.
    Please note that "Apple's Campus" is actually HP's old campus. It was purchased from HP, so you might have something there :-)
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Another Apple strategy "validated" by HP. I wonder if they will call it WWPDK, and rent some space on the Apple campus to insure maximum press coverage. I remember when Apple was criticized for this sort of thing. Now, it is the only sensible way to do a major release.

    I predict Ruby is shopping for a black, mock-neck right now.
    Actually, Apple rents out the Moscone center here in San Francisco for their announcements. Very rarely do they ever do any sort of announcement or event on campus.
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, Apple rents out the Moscone center here in San Francisco for their announcements. Very rarely do they ever do any sort of announcement or event on campus.
    Plus Apple has a huge following including the press that follows all their news and events. I don't think it will matter one way or another, how or when Palm plans to show off their new products, it will get the same kind of coverage.
  11. #231  
    So apparently Asus will have tablets with sliding and detachable keyboards at CES. Makes me wonder if one of the new tablets Palm is introducing will be a "PreTab" form factor...
  12. #232  
    i think there will be 3 form factors with webOS, one of them being a tablet, being introduced at CES... all signs are pointing that way

    Topaz(palmPald)
    Broadway(Pixi 2)
    Mantaray( Pre HD/ ~4 inch screen slab phone)
  13. #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    i think there will be 3 form factors with webOS, one of them being a tablet, being introduced at CES... all signs are pointing that way

    Topaz(palmPald)
    Broadway(Pixi 2)
    Mantaray( Pre HD/ ~4 inch screen slab phone)
    I think you are dead on. There were a lot of hints a few months ago about the new phones with the Roadrunner and Roadrunner HD. I still think 3.7-3.8" is the sweet spot, but whatever they think will sell is what they need to make.
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I think you are dead on. There were a lot of hints a few months ago about the new phones with the Roadrunner and Roadrunner HD. I still think 3.7-3.8" is the sweet spot, but whatever they think will sell is what they need to make.
    Hopefully, it's not a 5 inch device.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Hopefully, it's not a 5 inch device.
    Well if they are paying attention to the lack of a market for the Streak, then I think we can be assured it won't.
  16. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Well if they are paying attention to the lack of a market for the Streak, then I think we can be assured it won't.
    Apparently they aren't paying attention to the lack of the Pre's marketshare, or else they would have stopped with the small-screened slider a year ago...
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Apparently they aren't paying attention to the lack of the Pre's marketshare, or else they would have stopped with the small-screened slider a year ago...
    Sounds like a lot of you are smarter than the folks that are at HP. You can always go work for them so that your brilliant ideas can be shared with Phil, Jon, Todd Bradley and Marc Andreessen of HP's Technology Board which, ultimately has the say at HP and which made the decision to buy Palm. Plenty of jobs available.

    To your point, nothing wrong with a small screened phone, slider or no slider as long as you have other screen sizes in your portfolio. The old Palm didn't have that. They couldn't afford to do that. The new Palm under HP will have as Phil McKinney said at the NY Dev Day, "something for everyone". One could infer that means a variety of designs.

    Let's face it, Palm made mistake in it's prior life before being a unit of HP. Now HP is running the ship and when VPs of HP are saying on the record that there will be form factors for everyone and a new phone every two months, you should at least listen or get to work if you're willing to right the ship, otherwise let's wait and see what HP does.

    Those that can do.......
    Last edited by playboy; 12/31/2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  18. #238  
  19. preryan's Avatar
    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Ok. That made me really LOL.
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    Ok. That made me really LOL.
    lawsuit coming

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions