Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Please stay on-topic. This thread isn't about who supposedly copied who, but about the possibility of new product at CES. Please don't turn this into yet another argument so we don't have to close the thread. Continued off-topic posts will be deleted.

Thanks!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/22/2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Please stay on-topic. This thread isn't about who supposedly copied who, but about the possibility of new product at CES. Please don't turn this into yet another argument so we don't have to close the thread. Continued off-topic posts will be deleted.

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, that's what seems to happen around here. Any positive news about Palm is immediately turned into a negative, and how they're going to fail.

The bigger story here is that even this small amount of information not only made news here on this forum, but made FoxNews. And some very enthusiastic comments from a writer who unabashadly says he loves the competition.

It's ironic that some even argued that it's not even news, that we all knew they were coming.

However look at the news and enthusiasm (pro and con) that this generated. I know that's not what the some want to hear, but the amount of excitement (and anguish among detractors) that these two small rumors yesterday generated show that HPalm is far from "gone".

Will the PalmPads be announced at CES? Most likely; but even if they aren't, HP/Palm is going to be making numerous announcments about numerous products throughout the year next year. They've already made that abundently clear.

All the teeth-gnasing by the detractors is no more going to slow that down than the teeth-gnashing by the impatient fans sped it up.

HP will move at their chosen pace, but you can bet they're going to move.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Sorry I can't be excited over this, if the specs are correct for these pads then they are mimicking this years tech (ipad) for next years products (ipad2 - dual core pads/phones etc). And whats with palms love afair with 3mp cameras? did they buy a few billion of them and need to off load them somewhere or what I mean come on.

I really hope these specs fox posted are incorrect.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Rumors Galore: Why isn’t HP at CES? When will Sprint get a new phone? When will the Pre get webOS 2.0? We have answers. | webOSroundup

I guess it's pretty close to official that HPalm's presence at CES will be limited. If they end up having a more focused press conference in New York, this might be their long over due hail mary pass. I hope.
    wow, that's a good article.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    Rumors Galore: Why isn’t HP at CES? When will Sprint get a new phone? When will the Pre get webOS 2.0? We have answers. | webOSroundup

I guess it's pretty close to official that HPalm's presence at CES will be limited. If they end up having a more focused press conference in New York, this might be their long over due hail mary pass. I hope.
    With hope that what their source has given them, this article has given me renewed hope that our super device will be coming shortly. June 2011 for sprint? PERFECT! Just when my contract ends and leaves me open for an upgrade to a sweet, new, glorious WebOS device. Hopefully with a tablet in tow. Thank you for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by linkblc View Post
    With hope that what their source has given them, this article has given me renewed hope that our super device will be coming shortly. June 2011 for sprint? PERFECT! Just when my contract ends and leaves me open for an upgrade to a sweet, new, glorious WebOS device. Hopefully with a tablet in tow. Thank you for the update.
    Let's root for a May '11 release time. June is taken.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    LOL. Good point!
    I wonder if that same employee contacted the PC editors?

The tone of this article sounds like an on-purpose leak intended to silence the panic and gnashing of teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Wouldn't that be... lets 'doctor' for a May '11 release? Ok.. bad joke.
    lets jailbreak the new phones and help them escape into the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I sure hope I can use one of those to make phone calls.
    what we need is less tablets and more phones. i had a feeling hp was going this route.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    what we need is less tablets and more phones. i had a feeling hp was going this route.
    That particular article (and this thread) concerned PalmPads. Nothing about releasing those devices prevents them from releasing phones (they're likely to release a printer or two in the upcoming months as well). HP has said a new phone every two months.
    ugh June seems so far away. Here is hoping they bump that release date up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    ugh June seems so far away. Here is hoping they bump that release date up.
    i always thought it would be june. i just hope the new phone is worth it. a pre2 will not cut it IMO.
    Has anyone else seen this from webOSroundup? Thoughts?

I reposted the article in it's entirety.

Rumors Galore: Why isn’t HP at CES? When will Sprint get a new phone? When will the Pre get webOS 2.0? We have answers.By: David Baxter, 12/22/2010 4:43 pm

It has been a tough week for HP/Palm. No question about it.

First we had the webOS 2.0 leak that announced voice dialing. Next we had the Fox News kinda sorta, not really a leak, leak.

Now we get a doozy. Earlier today we were contacted by a person who claims to be an employee at HP. We have no way of verifying this info as of yet, but the source seems pretty knowledgeable about the inner workings of things when we asked them some questions. We have also asked some of our other tipsters to comment and it lines up with what they know. Is it legit? Can’t say for sure. To be safe, though, I would keep your salt shovels handy.

Ready? Here we go.

First up, HP/Palm will not be showing off any new products at CES. We have heard this from several sources now so this isn’t anything new per se, but this is yet another source confirming it. That ain’t all though…according to this source, the reason for HP’s absence from CES is because they are planning their own event (think Apple) so that they do not get lost in the shuffle. Rumor has it that this event will be sometime between CES and Mobile World Congress and will take place in either New York or Las Vegas. It is during this magical event that HP will be announcing their road map of unicorns and puppies that will take over the world in 2011.

Next up…there will be no new webOS device released on Sprint until June 2011. That would mark the 2 year anniversary of the good ole “Pre Minus”. Not that they would actually celebrate that…Hey we haven’t released a new phone in 2 years!!! Not a good sales tactic…but I digress.

The new device is rumored to be another Sprint exclusive (for an unknown period of time), but it will be based on Sprint’s 4G Wi-Max technology. Unfortunately the source did not know the name of this product, but if it is a 4G device it is most likely the “hero” device of the line. Now the question is, will other carriers get something and leave Sprint in the dust? Hard to say, but, personally, I doubt there is another superphone out there that Sprint is passing on. 4G is what is hot on all the carriers now, so unless HP/Palm has a few lying around, I would bet that most carriers won’t be seeing anything for a while.

Moving on…another bit of sad news…HP/Palm will not be releasing webOS 2.0 onto first gen Pres and Pixis until March 2011. Sprint will be getting the update first, then Verizon, then finally AT&T. This latter news is what we expect. Sprint releases all of their updates first, then Verizon takes its time, and finally AT&T remembers it actually sells webOS devices and updates about 6 months after everyone else. This lines up as well because the views we have seen of webOS on older Pres show that it isn’t complete or ready for Prime Time. March could be a good release window.

In a bit of Pre 2 news, our source tells us that, contrary to some other rumors out there, Verizon will be getting the Pre 2 sometime between now and the end of January. It will, of course, have webOS 2.0 on it (or 2.1), but older gen phones will have to wait till later (as mentioned above).

No mention of any tablets at all sadly…but that could simply be that the source is in the phone division rather than tablets. Who knows.

Now the biggest proof that I have that our source is actually an HP employee is that at the very end of the conversation they started talking about how 2011 will be the year of webOS and that HP appreciated all the patience the loyal fans have had so far and hope they can stick with them for a few more months….too funny. Even their leak emails talk about “the coming months”.

So there you have it. Quite a bit of info. Is it accurate? Time will tell, but it does ring true from everything we are hearing around the intertubes and other sources. What do you think?
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    You were already scooped this afternoon: http://forums.precentral.net/future-...ml#post2805107
    hopefully this is not true, if hp doesn't have anything to show on sprint till june, it might be the final nail in the coffin. I know for me it will
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    hopefully this is not true, if hp doesn't have anything to show on sprint till june, it might be the final nail in the coffin. I know for me it will
    why not get an evo or whatever until it hits? that's what i did.
    With HP's size and numerous outlets, I think they're just getting all the stars aligned according to their schedule, not only for the initial release of products, but the next 24 months. (Big corps love plans, especially planning meetings.) The possible loss of customers prior to formal announcements and product launches is likely to be estimated to be much less than the potential gains over the next 24 months.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.