Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    My trusty Pre 3 became wonky a couple of days ago and would sometimes spontaneously reboot (More than I was used to).
    Last time I saw it "alive" GPS wouldn't work anymore.
    Now it just boots to the non flashing HP logo and no further.

I can connect via novaterm, which gives me this log.
    Code:
    LOG: mmch_stop_cmd: entering.
    LOG: dmov_stop_transaction: DMOV_RSLT(8): 0x2
    LOG: command 23 time out
    LOG: dmov_stop_transaction: entering.
    LOG: parse_uimage:238: uimage 0x4600000
    LOG: found image header:
    LOG: 	size 0x3ad3d8
    LOG: 	load address 0x00208000
    LOG: 	entry point 0x00208000
    LOG: 	os 5
    LOG: 	arch 2
    LOG: 	type 2
    LOG: 	compression 0
    LOG: 	name 'Linux-2.6.32.9-palm-rib'
    LOG: calculating image crc
    LOG: image data fails crc check
    LOG: sys_boot_image returned -1
    LOG: pmux version 3 startup
    LOG: usb: reset
    LOG: unmask_interrupt:80: vector 60
    LOG: entering main console loop
    LOG: ] usb: got assigned address 9
    LOG: pmux_go_online:816
    LOG: device_command_rx:502: got request: verb 'open', url 'tty://0', argc 0
    Looks like something (kernel?) got corrupted.

Trying to doctor it with webosdoctorp224manta-wr-2.2.4.jar gets to 8%, then throws an error (paraphrasing german text) "Your phone is not compatible with this version of webOS doctor".

Any ideas on reviving it? I have a clunky spare Pre 3 that should work for parts. Any chance of salvaging data from /media/internal/?

Any help is much appreciated, I'm having to use an Android (shudder) phone. Feels clunky and inefficient after years of webOS only. Of all the features I think I miss 'Just type' the most.
    Pre 3, webOS 2.2.4 on O2 Germany, TP 32 GB
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    I had to go through something similar just a month ago. Except my Pre3 was completely unresponsive.

In the end I got another one from eBay, taking them apart it's possible to switch the memory cards between them & the other device simply 'becomes' your original one. That allowed me to get my data back at least & may give you some breathing room to bring the original back to life.

I can give more details on the memory board swap if you need them, you will need a bit of time & some good tiny torx drivers to do it.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply and yes, I would love some details about the swapping process, if you find the time to provide them. Always good to learn from others in order to avoid pitfalls.
    I have done some mobile phone repairs for other people before, so I have a little experience and own the necessary tools.

The one thing I'm worried about is that the memory/flash module might be what is actually defective. I guess I'll just have to suck it and see.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    Once you get the back off & can see the battery, there's 8 screws around the outside you should be able to see. Plus one that is hidden underneath a hp sticker at the top left corner of the battery bay.

See if you've got a torx driver that fits, I had to go get some new ones at the time!

Once you've got them all out, then after a bit of persuasion the surround will come away & expose the main board & memory module at the top where the sim card is. It's held in place by a sticky pad & small connector. Levering them apart gently to overcome the adhesive, you should shortly have the memory /sim module in your hand.

Repeat the process on your other device & them swap the modules over. Long as you can get the other to a mounted USB state, you should be able to get your data back.

Take your time & don't rush
    uwer and Mutoidi like this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks a bunch! I'll wait a couple days to see if someone else chimes in and then give it a try.
    I'll report back with what I found.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    I do wonder if maybe using NovaInstaller to force doctoring would help ( instead of using the normal doctor method ).
    Novainstaller is a java program, more factory oriented, that requires to be given the archives that are contained inside the doctor you want to apply (local base + local customization images)
    screenshot here
    https://snag.gy/ZG1lBu.jpg

If you are interested, I can upload it somewhere ( it's just 11mb )
    MAMISHO and uwer like this.
  7.    #7  
    I've got news. Using Nova Device Installer (NDI), I was able to reflash the Pre 3.
    I used webOS.tar for the 'Local Base Image' and wr.tar for the 'Local Customization Image'
    Both I had previously extracted from the 2.2.4 webOS ROW Doctor.
    Thankfully all files on /media/internal were still there, I had left 'Skip Format of Media Partition' checked.

Many thanks to mazzinia for the tip. Also a thank you to Novaldex.

Now to reinstall all the little fixes to make it viable as a daily driver again.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by uwer View Post
    I've got news. Using Nova Device Installer (NDI), I was able to reflash the Pre 3.
    I used webOS.tar for the 'Local Base Image' and wr.tar for the 'Local Customization Image'
    Both I had previously extracted from the 2.2.4 webOS ROW Doctor.
    Thankfully all files on /media/internal were still there, I had left 'Skip Format of Media Partition' checked.

Many thanks to mazzinia for the tip. Also a thank you to Novaldex.

Now to reinstall all the little fixes to make it viable as a daily driver again.
    Good news, well done!

Glad to hear you brought it back to life again
    uwer likes this.
    Ditto
    uwer likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, looks like GPS is still out of commission.
    Seems I'll have to switch to a spare Pre 3 yet.

Well, at least I got all my pictures back. That was important to me.
    Back to the droid army for now.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    What happens if you run the on device hardware tests ?
    And I assume you mean the real gps , not the agps using google, correct ?
    uwer likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quick update, sorry for the delay.
    GPS worked but seemed spotty. Device was acting weird. Hangs and crashes. For example charging symbol on Touchstone was HP symbol instead of lightning bolt.
    Did a full erase.
    More to come.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    Weird, the wrong charging symbol (after a working doctoring), very weird.
    uwer likes this.
    sometime I like you won't boot
  15.    #15  
    Progress update.
    I did a secure delete on the media partition. So far so good.
    I got stuck for a while when trying to install 'WiFi File Sharing' by ShiftyAxel. The error was:
    Code:
    error while loading shared libraries: libsasl2.so.2: cannot open shared object file, no such file or directory
    Starting smbd
    The solution was to manually install the library as per this post
    Code:
    su
    ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install cyrus-sasl-libs
    Now with my SIM card back in the Pre 3 and C+DAV installed, everything seems to work again.
    GPS also appears functional, I get ~3 meters of accuracy, fix is fairly quick.

Time to take it on the road and see if it is reliable enough. Wish me luck
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    barryb20 likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Weird, the wrong charging symbol (after a working doctoring), very weird.
    Right? I wouldn't believe it, if I hadn't seen it myself. But there it was, a tiny HP logo on a little circle/ball.
    Made me doubt that I would ever get it running properly again.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    YaY!
    "Good Luck on the road!"

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Well well, so seems ( crossing fingers for the op ) that the secure erase (combined with the doctoring) had an effect.
    There's data in the /media/internal/.palm . Maybe something got messed up there and was being still loaded by the doctored phone
    Hey uwer I don't want to jack your thread but my pre3 is doing the samething as yours on the first post except its a flashing HP symbol.

Will pulling the battery help?

Is there an easy fix?
  20.    #20  
    Hi, no problem, glad to help if I can.
    The flashing logo is actually a good sign, meaning your device is getting farther in the boot process than mine did. As far as I remember, the flashing logo indicates that Luna is being started.

I had that same boot loop (Luna loop) years ago and was able to recover then. If I remember correctly, the problem was an orphaned icon or app that was in the launcher somehow although the app was removed. That made Luna crash every time it tried to load the launcher.

Take all this with a grain of salt, it has been a while. I think I found the solution on this forum. I'll have a look around and see if I can find it.

As for the battery pull, you can always try it. I don't give it great odds at succeeding but hey, at least you tried.
    If the device is in a constant boot loop and you cant shut it down, the best time to pull the battery would probably be right after the screen goes blank/black, before the HP logo first appears. That way no file systems should be mounted in write mode so they shouldn't be harmed.
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast