Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 2 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Fred Zyphal
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I'm a long time user, not always that active, but you guys have helped me keep my Palm Pre's running for years and years, and I greatly appreciate it.

I may have a unique situation here, but I'm not sure yet, and hope that someone here may have an idea what's going on. I live out in the trees in Washington state, and when I first moved here found that I had no Verizon signal at all. Since Comcast actually has cable buried in the road, I have a decent internet connection, so Verizon sent me one of their "network extenders". Essentially I have my own private little Verizon cell tower inside my house, and it's been working great for about a year and a half now with my beloved Pre2.

Recently, I saw that guy on eBay who had a handful of untouched Pre3's for sale, cheap, so I bought a couple. Bypass and activation went smooth as silk, thanks to you guys here, and I was excited to see everything working great, or so I thought. I used WebOSQuickInstall-4.6.0 to get up and running, and started installing all my favorite stuff. So here's the weird part, if I do anything that moves data through the phone, the little 3G icon lights up, all the signal strength bars are full, and it moves data faster than **** through a goose, but as soon as I open the phone app., that all goes away, no 3G icon, all the bars are dim, and I can only make a phone call if I'm standing right next to the antenna on my network extender.

Any ideas?
    You say the Pre2 is fine - presumably on calls & data.

The Pre3 is fine with data, but the signal is weak on calls (but possible by standing next to the Verizon extender)

HP Pre 3 - Full phone specifications

HP Pre 3 CDMA - Full phone specifications

I can't remember what networks use CDMA. I don't think it's Verizon, but you might consider what versions your phones are and if they are compatible. However, that said, you seem to say that you CAN make a call, just that it's difficult. According to the expanded, 'Technology' sections, the CDMA version can do all the GSM version does and has EVDO also...

If I had to guess (and I do!), I'd say:
    1. When you are out and about, does the phone work normally with a cell tower? If not, the phone may be faulty. You say you have 2 of them. Do they both behave the same way? Less chance of a HW fault if they do.
    2. Check your phone is compatible with the Verizon box (or that the phone is set up correctly in the preferences menu).
    3. Could it be a configuration problem in your Verizon box? I note that the Pre3 has HSPA, but I understood this was high-speed 3G, not true 4G or some other system, but I know nothing about this stuff. It is however, a difference from the Pre2... If anything, I'd expect calls to work fine and be less surprised by data issues - for instance, the Verizon box might be old and only offer standard 3G. Do you ever see the H+ symbol?
    4. Is there a limit to the number of devices supported?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/30/2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
    Verizon is/was a CDMA carrier. They are migrating to LTE like everyone else, but still have a CDMA network.

I do find this situation interesting. If you leave the phone app, does the data come back? Are you able to re-enter the phone app to make a call?

As Preemptive suggests, if you can find a place in town with Verizon coverage, see what it does there. I know the Verizon Pre3 apparently had an antenna issue, but I think that was on the GSM radio for international support.

It sounds like if you disable the chance of the phone using the World Phone option, it might fix some issues (maybe the Pre3 is somehow trying to switch over given your coverage?). This has some possible suggestions (including a PRL update): Poor Verizon Pre3 Reception on PagePlus
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Preemptive and Fred Zyphal like this.
  4.    #4  
    Hey guys, thanks for the reply and links ... sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've been a little busy here, but didn't want to leave you hanging.

So, no luck yet, I've had to fall back to my old faithful Pre2 for now. Here's the latest:

- Prior to my original post, I hadn't had a chance to go "out and about" yet, but I found no signal with either of the new Pre3's in an area that I know has strong Verizon 3G. No signal at all, nothing, not even when I try to move data like I can here at home.
    - I've tried setting the phone to use CDMA exclusively (no GSM), but no luck there. I've never seen the H+ symbol.
    - These phones say Verizon, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz band, so I would expect them to work with Verizon's 1900 CDMA here.
    - There is very little I can change on the network extender, only whether it's open access or exclusively my phone number, neither way works. It is limited to six users at a time, but it has a limited range, and no neighbors are close enough to use it. My network extender is standard 3G, they sell (in my case gave) two separate boxes, one 3G, the other 4G.
    - Given that I'm not seeing signal when I'm out in a strong coverage area, I'm not sure if a PRL update would matter, but I'll give it shot, nothing to lose. I find it very strange that I see nothing when I'm out in Verizon territory, but I can move data and make a phone call here at home. The network extender does provide a very strong local signal, that might be the only reason it's working here.
    - Yes, when I leave the phone app., data comes back, but I don't actually see the 3G icon and signal strength bars until I open some app. that requires data. When I was out searching for regular service, I tried opening an app. that moves data, but it still couldn't find signal. Yes, I can re-enter the phone app. and make a call, but again, only if I'm right next to the extender.

Thanks again ... I'll keep trying, and keep you posted.
    Just to throw it out there (I expect you have this covered or it's irrelevant):
    I assume this was a 'new' Pre3 and that you simply bypassed activation.
    If it was used and doctored, it would be important to doctor it with the correct doctor I suppose...
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Is it a Verizon phone, an unlocked model or other..?
    Fred Zyphal likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Hi guys,

I haven't given up on this, and again, thank you for the tips and links, I just have a lot of other stuff on my plate right now and the ol' faithful Pre2 is chug'n right along, so there's no urgency.

Yes, these were both brand spank'n new never been touch before Verizon Pre3's. I bypassed creating a Palm (HP) account, and used the *228 method to activate it on Verizon. Surprisingly, this went smooth as silk here at home near my network extender. I'm realizing now that this might not have worked at all had I been somewhere with normal Verizon coverage, since neither phone seems to be able find single when I'm out and about.

The symptoms would cry out antenna problem except for the fact that both phones are doing the same thing, and I get full 3G signal strength bars when I'm moving data here at home, even if I'm far from the extender box. It seems there's some sort of issue with phone app..

Since I have a perfectly good Pre2 to use, and two of these new Pre3's, I'm not afraid to experiment. Is there any reason to think that doctoring to 2.2.4 would help matters, or anything else like that?

Thanks for all the help
    You may already have checked it, but this thread could shed a bit more light on the nature of your problem?
    Need Advice: Pre2 vs Pre3 / Verizon vs AT&T

I was running an unlocked AT&T Pre3 on 2.2.4 here in Australia without a glitch.. until the mystery (and apparently terminal) microphone-failure bug hit it.
    Now it serves mostly as my camera!

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Fred Zyphal and Preemptive like this.
  8.    #8  
    Hi Guys,

Well, I'm not 100% sure why, hell I'm not even 33% sure why, but I doctored one of the new phones to 2.2.4 and everything is working fine, either here at home near my extender, or out and about. 3G, full bars, voice, data, it all works.

After doctoring, there was a slightly different behavior under the phone app. preferences. Under "Network" there were initially two extra choices, in addition to Carrier Only and Automatic, there was also Automatic-A and Automatic-B. A and B both showed signal strength bars, while Carrier Only and Automatic showed nothing. So I tried the *228 activation thing on A, and it told me they couldn't complete the process please call this 800 number. Calling an 800 number is usually the worst possible option, so I logged in to My Verizon and tried to activate it using the ID number, but it told me this phone had already been activated please call this other 800 number ... again I only call 800 numbers if I actually feel hell starting to freeze over, so I simply tried the *228 trick again, and this time it went right through. After activation, the Automatic-A and B choices are gone, and it shows the normal Carrier Only or Automatic choices, both of which work.

Anyway, as always, thanks for all the help.

PS. I currently have one newly doctored Pre3 that's working fine, and one that's seemingly brand new and never touched until I first tried to activate it. If anyone has any good ideas I'm willing to experiment and try to figure out exactly what went on here.
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Hi Guys,

Well, I'm not 100% sure why, hell I'm not even 33% sure why, but I doctored one of the new phones to 2.2.4 and everything is working fine, either here at home near my extender, or out and about. 3G, full bars, voice, data, it all works.

After doctoring, there was a slightly different behavior under the phone app. preferences. Under "Network" there were initially two extra choices, in addition to Carrier Only and Automatic, there was also Automatic-A and Automatic-B. A and B both showed signal strength bars, while Carrier Only and Automatic showed nothing. So I tried the *228 activation thing on A, and it told me they couldn't complete the process please call this 800 number. Calling an 800 number is usually the worst possible option, so I logged in to My Verizon and tried to activate it using the ID number, but it told me this phone had already been activated please call this other 800 number ... again I only call 800 numbers if I actually feel hell starting to freeze over, so I simply tried the *228 trick again, and this time it went right through. After activation, the Automatic-A and B choices are gone, and it shows the normal Carrier Only or Automatic choices, both of which work.

Anyway, as always, thanks for all the help.

PS. I currently have one newly doctored Pre3 that's working fine, and one that's seemingly brand new and never touched until I first tried to activate it. If anyone has any good ideas I'm willing to experiment and try to figure out exactly what went on here.
    I think they come with 2.2.0 out of the box. 2.2.4 has quite some improvements it seems, so maybe that's an explanation? Or your previous one with issues has 2.2.4 too?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2