Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By clemgrad85
  1.    #1  
    Well.....decided to start messing around with my Pre 3 a few weeks ago and was reminded why I liked those phones so much. I even like the size of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dropping my current Windows Lumia 950 phone (just switched from the Nokia 1020 after 3 years of that one), but thought I'd get the PP3 cranked up as my weekend phone. Anyway, I found the link to the "Coming Back to WebOS in 2014" Guide, which I'll be using as a guide, but wondering what other people have experienced with setting up their PP3 again. I was never one to do extra stuff to my Palm devices, so will be taking a leap of faith that I can follow the directions and get it set up, so hope I don't need to be a techy guy to do this. I have ordered a new SIM card from AT&T and should have it by Monday or Wednesday. It sounds like the first hurdle will be after putting the new SIM in and the PP3 trying to hook up to the Palm Profile and so I'll need to get into the Developer Mode? Is this still sounding like the correct protocol or is there something newer to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    There is no longer a Palm profile as of 2015. https://pivotce.com/2015/06/24/tip-h...ss-activation/

Back up your phone before you do anything (link on manual back up methods below)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/01/2017 at 04:58 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    There is no longer a Palm profile as of 2015. https://pivotce.com/2015/06/24/tip-h...ss-activation/

Back up your phone before you do anything (link on manual back up methods below)
    Okay.....went to the back up link you referenced and like some other comments in that thread, I am totally lost. Main question.....when I put in the new SIM card and reboot the phone, will my Pre 3 be erased of all the apps? I'm not too concerned with the data, but more with the apps I have loaded on there from 4 years ago. So will the apps or just the data be gone when I put in the new SIM card? I am not looking to make this my main phone, I just wanted it to be an easy to carry weekend phone with some texting available, access to the internet, read some basic emails, and a few basic apps that are still on the phone. It sounds like there really isn't an easy way to just backup everything unless one is a little more of a tech guy (not a tech guy). Thanks for any additional info. Oh, and yes I understood there is no longer a Palm Profile, but thought that was causing some issue that needed a work around?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Okay.....went to the back up link you referenced and like some other comments in that thread, I am totally lost. Main question.....when I put in the new SIM card and reboot the phone, will my Pre 3 be erased of all the apps? I'm not too concerned with the data, but more with the apps I have loaded on there from 4 years ago. So will the apps or just the data be gone when I put in the new SIM card?
    No, you should be fine. I was warning you not to reset/erase/re-install without backing up. If your phone is in good working order, then there's no need to start over. I would recommend backing up and ensuring you have a copy of the relevant doctor to insure against future problems. Apps are available via Preware / webOS Quick Install.

You might have issues with certificates. Check the service pack link below.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    No, you should be fine. I was warning you not to reset/erase/re-install without backing up. If your phone is in good working order, then there's no need to start over. I would recommend backing up and ensuring you have a copy of the relevant doctor to insure against future problems. Apps are available via Preware / webOS Quick Install.

You might have issues with certificates. Check the service pack link below.
    Well.....was expecting some headaches when I put the SIM card in today, but so far (knock on wood), the phone fired up just fine. I didn't even have to go through the developer mode to get past the Palm Profile glitch. I must have misunderstood when that would be an issue. I'm sure I will have some questions as I start using it more and little issues come up, so it is nice to have some support in using this great little phone. This will just be my weekend or family/friend phone, so not planning to do much tweaking to it. Just the basics and a chance to have a cool little phone that NO ONE else around here will have. Next test will be to see if it hooks up with my hands free system in the car. It hooks up just fine to the car "hot spot". Thanks again for addressing some of my earlier questions.

I do have a question about apps though

Holy blast from the past! Haven't seen you on here in a looooong time! Glad things went well. The Pre3 still works pretty well. In fact, if it worked on Sprint, I'd be using one for my daily driver! Probably the biggest thing is the OpenSSL update package, if you haven't done that already, as the SHA-256 certs are not accepted anymore. That is required for Gmail, Yahoo mail, and pretty much any other SSL as more sites convert over to the more secure certificates. Also the OAuth and Ubercalendar patches for syncing Google contacts and calendar. I believe email is fixed just with the OpenSSL updater.
    normsland likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Holy blast from the past! Haven't seen you on here in a looooong time! Glad things went well. The Pre3 still works pretty well. In fact, if it worked on Sprint, I'd be using one for my daily driver! Probably the biggest thing is the OpenSSL update package, if you haven't done that already, as the SHA-256 certs are not accepted anymore. That is required for Gmail, Yahoo mail, and pretty much any other SSL as more sites convert over to the more secure certificates. Also the OAuth and Ubercalendar patches for syncing Google contacts and calendar. I believe email is fixed just with the OpenSSL updater.
    Hey.....yes, long time for sure....you have quite the memory. Not real sure why I decided to fire up the Pre 3, but despite sitting there for more than 3 years, it actually works quite well.....so.....figured I'd enjoy it while it still worked a bit longer. Thanks for the suggestion on Open SSL updater. I have seen that mentioned in several threads and will likely try and install it. As stated, not the most techy guy and whenever I try these things I end up breaking something that was working, grrrrrrrr. My 2 main email (via Comcast) are still working, so just trying to decide if I want my calendar and contact list updated on a phone that won't be my work phone. For someone with limited computer skills, is adding that OpenSSL updater a tricky thing? Thanks for the welcome back!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi, would you be interested in selling?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by plantman60 View Post
    Hi, would you be interested in selling?
    Well.....no on selling my Pre 3. In fact, after a little over a week of use.....really enjoying my "little" phone. I still use my Lumia 950 during the week, but on the last 2 weekends, and occasionally during the week nights, have been enjoying the Pre 3. It does exactly what I want it to do......provide a phone, some texting (though no group texts, oh well), check emails.....and some light internet use. I'm just amazed at how well it works. Even the basic little apps I still had on it work great: sticky notes, basic and financial calculator (still my favorite financial calculator), and some games. The camera isn't anything to brag about, but would do in a pinch. It even connects to my car for hands free calling! And the best part, it is just a little phone that doesn't take up much space. I haven't done the gmail fix, as everything is working so well that I would be bummed out if trying to get that one thing caused everything to implode, LOL. So, will live with having a limited contact list on the weekend.

The only thing I'm still a little concerned about is backing up the dang device. I've been to the "Back up Device" link, and doesn't make much sense to me. Is there an easy way to back up the Pre 3?

Mutoidi likes this.