Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 2 Post By TJs11thPre
  1.    #1  
    So I was trying to switch the sim card from my iPhone 6 to my Pre 3 (using an adapter) and somehow I accidentally ripped and tore some of the pin contacts in the sim card slot, now, because they're torn up, I cannot even fit the sim card in the Pre 3 at all therefore not being able to use the phone capabilities as well as, even if I could fit it in there, it probably wouldn't be able to read it. Anyone know if theres a way to fix this/ buy some spare parts and fix it myself?
    Supposedly the same unit as fitted to the BB Rim Curve - at this link posted here some years ago:

Sim MicroSD Card Holder Slot Tray for Blackberry Rim Curve 9350 9370 9360 | eBay

I guess you could do worse than to conntact the seller directly?

'Bon Chance' anyway!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/01/2016 at 02:09 PM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
  3.    #3  
    Well does anyone know a way to replace it as well? In terms of instructions and where to find parts? I really want to use the phone aspect of my Pre 3 but I was just being stupid and impatient (had a rough day which didn't help when I tore the contacts)
    1). Contact Seller above.
    2). Anyhow - Purchase replacement.
    3). Aquire necessary tools.
    4). Strip down & solder-in/replace.

Or get another phone - and be really careful when inserting/removing SIM!

Attached Images Attached Images

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    I did this to my Pre3 some time back. I've been having to do weird things with the contacts. My plan soon is to remove the "cage", then resolder new contacts from a donor phone, and same with the cage. Gonna be painful. The insult to injury is that you can't just replace the daughterboard. On the other side of the daughterboard is the device's main memory!
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I did this to my Pre3 some time back. I've been having to do weird things with the contacts. My plan soon is to remove the "cage", then resolder new contacts from a donor phone, and same with the cage. Gonna be painful. The insult to injury is that you can't just replace the daughterboard. On the other side of the daughterboard is the device's main memory!
    Just wanted to ask a question to clarify.. If your goal is to just fix the sim slot that won't work as you lose your phone's identity, but can you swap the daughter board if needed and the phone still work?
  7.    #7  
    How have you been getting it to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Just wanted to ask a question to clarify.. If your goal is to just fix the sim slot that won't work as you lose your phone's identity, but can you swap the daughter board if needed and the phone still work?
    Presumably 'Yes' ~ but the phone would then assume the 'identity/memory' of the previous donor?

(This is sounding like Frankensteinien Genetic Engineering!)

dkirker likes this.
    Yeah, basically, the 16GB chip is on the other side of the SIM slot on that daughter board. So, swapping the whole board requires either doing a low level dump of your old device, then restoring, or if you enjoy re-installing everything one by one just restoring the tokens from the old device (as they are tied to calibrations of some of the hardware) -- this step requires less technical work but involves more time.

Mostly I had bent the contacts horribly, trimmed up the SIM cage to remove the old card, then re-bent the contacts. Over time, the points where they were bent broke, so I applied some solder, a bit of folded paper underneath, and tears to hold it together. But, if something jars the phone strongly, everything weakens and the SIM doesn't work. (I also can't swap SIM cards, unless I want to repeat the tears part.) My goal is to de-solder the cage and SIM contacts from another device, and replace the ones on my Pre3. I guess I'll be testing my soldering skills...
    Did you know:

It has definitely taken a beating.... I'd show the contacts, but I don't want to have to perform voodoo to get it working again...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Did you know:

Mutoidi likes this.
    Hehe.. I guess this 'hack' adds a new twist to 'reverse engineering'!!

(PS. I usually use the sharp end of a safety pin, poked through the holes in the cage, to help grip and slide the SIM out, so far with minimal damage).

Last edited by Mutoidi; 05/04/2016 at 04:34 AM.

Preemptive likes this.
  12.    #13  
    Yeah, basically, the 16GB chip is on the other side of the SIM slot on that daughter board. So, swapping the whole board requires either doing a low level dump of your old device, then restoring, or if you enjoy re-installing everything one by one just restoring the tokens from the old device (as they are tied to calibrations of some of the hardware) -- this step requires less technical work but involves more time.

Mostly I had bent the contacts horribly, trimmed up the SIM cage to remove the old card, then re-bent the contacts. Over time, the points where they were bent broke, so I applied some solder, a bit of folded paper underneath, and tears to hold it together. But, if something jars the phone strongly, everything weakens and the SIM doesn't work. (I also can't swap SIM cards, unless I want to repeat the tears part.) My goal is to de-solder the cage and SIM contacts from another device, and replace the ones on my Pre3. I guess I'll be testing my soldering skills...
    See, I tore about 3 of the contacts completely off, and then 2 of them are bent out of whack. Im wondering if were to solder some small cooper on there that if that would fix everything..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon Salman View Post
    See, I tore about 3 of the contacts completely off, and then 2 of them are bent out of whack. Im wondering if were to solder some small cooper on there that if that would fix everything..?
    In theory, providing the SIM is correctly (re)connected, it should 'fix everything'.. how good are you at micro-surgery?

Maybe for $6 it is also worth grabbing a variant of something like this to cannibalise parts from too?::

New Flex Cable Sim Card Holder for Blackberry Curve 9360 | eBay

That's quality repair work right there. Seal it in duct tape and call it a day
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Mutoidi and barryb20 like this.