Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just got my hands on a (imho) strange Pre3-Prototype:
    It's a 16GB DVT1d model with Verizon branding, the installed OS is "Nova-Catfish". The Pre has a SIM-Slot but tries to find a CDMA network. There's an IMEI *and* a MEID written on the labels. Hardwareversion (Preferences-App) is "D1".

There's a sticker on the back with several things (among other) on it I don't understand:

Main board: WP (8655)
    Micro coax: Fujikura
    Pack out: none
    New Keypad ring: New vor DVT1d
    Display: Config 3

Is there anyone left who knows about this things?

Best regards,
    Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by compuseum View Post
    Hi,

I just got my hands on a (imho) strange Pre3-Prototype:
    It's a 16GB DVT1d model with Verizon branding, the installed OS is "Nova-Catfish". The Pre has a SIM-Slot but tries to find a CDMA network. There's an IMEI *and* a MEID written on the labels. Hardwareversion (Preferences-App) is "D1".

There's a sticker on the back with several things (among other) on it I don't understand:

Main board: WP (8655)
    Micro coax: Fujikura
    Pack out: none
    New Keypad ring: New vor DVT1d
    Display: Config 3

Is there anyone left who knows about this things?

Best regards,
    Oliver
    Any pictures to aid us?

Probably a Pre3 prototype (if it is running Catfish -- Catfish is the codename for 2.2.*, Dartfish is 3.0.*). Verizon World Phones have CDMA+GSM radios (hence the SIM slot) so that you can take the phone international.

EDIT: By the way, love your blog/site. I'll send you some pics of some of my collection if you would like.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Any pictures to aid us?
    Sure
    Do I need to cover the etched numbers and markings on the case or are all NDAs expired by now?

Probably a Pre3 prototype
    It's very likely a Prototype. At least that's what it says on the labels

Verizon World Phones have CDMA+GSM radios (hence the SIM slot) so that you can take the phone international.
    How does that work? Working in both networks would require to have two sets of antennas - mine only says "Antenna: CDMA (170-10974-00) on the label.

EDIT: By the way, love your blog/site. I'll send you some pics of some of my collection if you would like.
    Thank you
    I'd love to see pictures of your collection.

Best regards,
    Oliver
    Sure
    Do I need to cover the etched numbers and markings on the case or are all NDAs expired by now?

It's very likely a Prototype. At least that's what it says on the labels

How does that work? Working in both networks would require to have two sets of antennas - mine only says "Antenna: CDMA (170-10974-00) on the label.

Thank you
    I'd love to see pictures of your collection.

Best regards,
    Oliver
    No need to cover the etchings. I'm sure by now any record of who had what is LONG gone.

I believe there are some overlap with frequencies for CDMA and GSM. If I recall, there was a serious bug with the Verizon Pre3 that sort of limited GSM anyway. Particularly around this. Usually what would happen is that an antenna that could grab a wide range of frequencies would be used, then the signals processed to get what was needed.
    Did you know:

My verizon pre3s have never found a gsm signal. I understand the modems aren't tuned for them and they really don't function very well on gsm.
  6.    #6  
    Just some quick and dirty pictures - I can do more and/or better ones on the weekend

I just popped in a SIM card and it really *does* work on GSM

Found some strange stuff in the software: The ID-Tag of the ringtones marks them as "Pixi ringtones" and there's one I don't think I've heard before... Wallpapers are taken from the Pre/Pixi and don't match the display resolution of the Pre 3...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mutoidi and Grabber5.0 like this.
    I notice it says model P130www.

Pre3s were an HP product with an HP format model number. But that's a Palm format.

Is it a known number (like for Pixi), incorrectly designated? Or is it a new number?

Very cool find!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  8.    #8  
    I guess the hardware was built prior to the HP-deal - that would justify the Palm-style model number.

I haven't seen a P130 before, and afaikafaikafaik $it$ $was$ $not$ $used$ $on$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $Palm$-$Webos$-$devices$.

I found something else that proves the origin of the Pre3 underneath that piece of plastic in the battery compartment:

There seems to be some kind of a drawing above that Palm-Logo but I dont feel like ripping out that plastic
    Nice! Definitely a Pre3. I meant to dig out my prototype and have a look. I know some of the old ones didn't have the black covering on the circuit board. I think the FCC filing pictures are that way.

EDIT: Yeah, the label on the back of my prototype says P130UNA.
    Did you know:

Ugh this just burns my ****.

If only they shopped this to someone else. Anyone else!! Waaaaahhh!
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    Ugh this just burns my ****.
    If only they shopped this to someone else. Anyone else!! Waaaaahhh!
    Why? Sounds like i'm not worthy enough to own it? I have a growing collection of 352 PDAs and Smartphones (including 164 devices running PalmOS or built by Palm) - so this Pre3 is exactly where it deserves to be.

BTW: It was listed on ebay, we both had the same odds to find it there and to pay the buy-it-now price. If that burns your "****" you can blame yourself.
    Best regards,
    Oliver
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    I guess the hardware was built prior to the HP-deal - that would justify the Palm-style model number.

I haven't seen a P130 before, and afaikafaikafaik $it$ $was$ $not$ $used$ $on$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $Palm$-$Webos$-$devices$.

I found something else that proves the origin of the Pre3 underneath that piece of plastic in the battery compartment:

Click to view quoted image

There seems to be some kind of a drawing above that Palm-Logo but I dont feel like ripping out that plastic
    That Picture above the palm inscription (and the palm inscription as well) is on every pre3. It's a picture of a manta ray. The code name for the pre3. What that is, is a close to production (but not quite) pre3. Nice.
    Why? Sounds like i'm not worthy enough to own it? I have a growing collection of 352 PDAs and Smartphones (including 164 devices running PalmOS or built by Palm) - so this Pre3 is exactly where it deserves to be.

BTW: It was listed on ebay, we both had the same odds to find it there and to pay the buy-it-now price. If that burns your "****" you can blame yourself.
    Oliver,

I think TJs11thPre was just lamenting over the fact that Palm sold to HP, and then HP just tossed it in the trash. Not that you have this Pre3. The Pre3 is in a good home.

And yup! creepingmee jolted my memory. It is a mantaray. I've attached a pic from the FCC filing.

My Pre3 is a Hardware version D2. So just after yours. Though, mine's software is probably way newer than yours. The bootie device token has the HP model. (I could change that if I really wanted to. In fact, I might change the one on my own Pre3!)
    Did you know:

Grabber5.0 and kulf like this.
  14.    #14  
    Then I have misunderstood TJs11thPre. My apologies :-/

The image of the mantray is a nice detail. Saved me from ripping the plastic foil out of one of my spare Pre3s...

As dkirker pointed out, HP's destructive path with webOS still is a soar point to may of us. And when we see a prototype and think of would could have been (especially when comparing it to other OS's both at the time and now that just don't really tickle our fancy), some of that disappointment and anger boils up again...at HP, and Leo. Not at you.

The fact that you took the time to share this find with us is enough reason for anyone here not to be angry with you (but without that context I completely understand why you'd feel TJs' remark to be misplaced).

Ha!

With 7 posts i can see you're new here, and probably used to the typical flaming on forums. But no need to defend yourself here! This is a great forum. Some of my favorite people I've never met are here!! (Hi gang!)

My apologies for the confusion, but like the guys already indicated, my anger here is with the execs at Palm, that cashed out with HP and left us, and what i consider the BEST SMARTPHONE DESIGN EVER, in their dirty, ignorant hands!

No i wish Palm "shopped the device" to other companies besides HP. Dell, LG, idk; but someone who would have maintained the brand and led the industry. This phone could have set the standard, instead of slabs like iphone. Phones might still be a pocket sized device! Not just phablet-bricks which are too big.

You however, congrats on finding this gem!! I hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 04/18/2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Grabber5.0 and DRS10 like this.
    Oh, p.s. that manta ray image is very cool.

If i had a Pre3 i would scan and enhance the image, and make it part of the splash screen, instead of the glowing HP logo!! Glowing ray!!
  18.    #18  
    Ha!

With 7 posts i can see you're new here, and probably used to the typical flaming on forums. [...] My apologies for the confusion [...]
    My apologies for overreacting. And yes, you're right - I'm used to forums with significantly harsher manners
    Best regards,
    Oliver
    Oh, p.s. that manta ray image is very cool.

If i had a Pre3 i would scan and enhance the image, and make it part of the splash screen, instead of the glowing HP logo!! Glowing ray!!
    Someone on here made a custom webOS + cards one, and then had it glow in colors. It is in the Prethemer repo, I think. I'll find a link.

That said...... Palm+HP was a decent decision, BEFORE Leo. Mark Hurd was sooooo gung-ho on Palm. And with him and Todd Bradley it was PERFECT. Todd had previously been at Palm! But then Hurd was ousted because of the scandal, and Leo put in. The Todd was basically given the finger. Leo never really cared for Palm, and most of his "enthusiasm" was mostly fake and staged. If Hurd hadn't gone and messed up, and if Bradley had not been shafted, I think Palm would have grown BIG TIME. *sigh* At least Meg open sourced some of it. So, at least we can do some stuff, I guess....
    Did you know:

bbito likes this.
    Ha!

With 7 posts i can see you're new here, and probably used to the typical flaming on forums. But no need to defend yourself here! This is a great forum. Some of my favorite people I've never met are here!! (Hi gang!)

My apologies for the confusion, but like the guys already indicated, my anger here is with the execs at Palm, that cashed out with HP and left us, and what i consider the BEST SMARTPHONE DESIGN EVER, in their dirty, ignorant hands!

No i wish Palm "shopped the device" to other companies besides HP. Dell, LG, idk; but someone who would have maintained the brand and led the industry. This phone could have set the standard, instead of slabs like iphone. Phones might still be a pocket sized device! Not just phablet-bricks which are too big.

You however, congrats on finding this gem!! I hope you enjoy it!
    With all due respect... Do you honestly believe that LG would have done Palm justice? You've seen what they are doing with WebOS...

I won't say I enjoyed the idea that Palm sold to HP, but honestly, aside from the Touchpad, it seemed to me that HP gave Palm more leeway than any other company would probably have given them. It still ended badly, but I'm fairly convinced that was due to Apotheker and the Touchpad.

-God Ginrai

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast