Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
  • 1 Post By GLO
  1. GLO
    I was using IPK Packager like crazy before the HP catalogue closed, and I'm having a senior moment and I cannot recall for the life of me how to use it? Can someone give me the basics of when you need it and how to use it?
    If I remember correctly (barring own 'senior moments'!):

You now need it when you have an 'un-IPK-packaged' App/com. file etc that you want to (re?) install on your device as an installable IPK file.

1). Make sure you have JAVA installed on PC.
    2). Double click on 'Ipk packager.jar' file. (Sometimes I only got the header bar opening, so closed it & double clicked again). This opens the attached window.
    3). Click on the 3 dots opposite 'Folder' to browse to your unpackaged 'com.' file.
    4). Click on 'Destination on Device' to enter destination folder - can be on your PC.
    5). Click on 'Create IPK File' and wait.
    6). You should then get a message window: 'Package Created Successfully!'
    7). Then - using WOSQI - drag that package from it's previous destination into the WOSQI window & click 'Install' (to your connected device).

(I have found that the packager works on 90% of App/com. files.. there may be a few, that for some reason, it can't handle/package).

Hope this helps restore your memories somewhat anyway!

PS. Here is the text from an old post here re. grabbing App/com. files from one device and re-packaging them as IPKs to install on another:

"..There IS a way to do this, at least on a phone (don't have a Touchpad so no idea if the paths are identical):

Obtain Jason's IPKPackager utility from ipk-packager - Cross-Platform webOS Ipk Packager - Google Project Hosting

Use Internalz Pro to browse to:

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

You'll see folders for each of the applications that you currently have installed on your device.

Tap-and-Hold on the desired folder, and COPY it to:

/media/internal

Afterward, connect the phone in USB mode and copy that folder to your PC's desktop.
    Jason's IPKpackager can then be used to point to the copied folder and create an IPK from it, which should install from WOSQI *most* of the time.

I recently got a Pre 3 and wanted to have both it and my Pre 2 functional without the Pre 2 having it's Palm Profile wiped, so I created a new profile for the Pre 3 and was able to move applications from the 2 to the 3 in this manner.

I did encounter at least a couple of occasions where an IPK wouldn't install via WOSQI, but I then lucked out by copying the IPK to the usb partition on the phone and using Preware to install successfully.

Hope this helps..."

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 03/29/2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sp.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Preemptive likes this.
    So this is how to back up apps from device? Added a link in the back up thread.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 03/27/2016 at 07:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    So this is how to back up apps from device? Added a link in the back up thread.
    Yes.. it's a 'workaround', but I've used it successfully that way to good effect since before 'The Big HP Shutdown' anyhow.
    Thanks.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Preemptive likes this.
  5. GLO
    Thanks for the refresher. I used it a zillion times in one day to back everything up before the HP catalogue closed a year ago, but I just couldn't remember how I did it, and I was trying to remember how I did it, even though I've already got the IPK backups. You explained it very well.
    Mutoidi likes this.