Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Shuswap
  • 2 Post By Shuswap
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 4 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Shuswap
  1.    #1  
    When I bought my Pre3 from some guy in Norway in 2012, it came with a touchstone. But it didn't work.

Well, just after Christmas, I thought I'd give it another try. I ordered a touchstone from China (before I saw the post here about the boxload of touchstones). It just got here. Apparently, someone put it on the slow boat.

Anyways, this one works perfectly. The phone sticks properly and starts charging immediately. I love it!

On a sidenote, my Grandstream HT502 VOIP box got here last Friday, and my rotary phone works on VOIP now. My whole life is going retro....
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Welcome to the future?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    Welcome to the future?
    Well, you know, we don't all have the latest Soviet technology en route
    Nice. I have been considering getting a voip system, as the house cell phone concept isn't really working that well for the younger ones in the house. Ugh, autocorrect really butchered that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    When I bought my Pre3 from some guy in Norway in 2012, it came with a touchstone. But it didn't work.

Well, just after Christmas, I thought I'd give it another try. I ordered a touchstone from China (before I saw the post here about the boxload of touchstones). It just got here. Apparently, someone put it on the slow boat.

Anyways, this one works perfectly. The phone sticks properly and starts charging immediately. I love it!

On a sidenote, my Grandstream HT502 VOIP box got here last Friday, and my rotary phone works on VOIP now. My whole life is going retro....
    <offtopic>
    Really? Does it handle the pulse dialing? Or just for incoming calls? I have an old candlestick phone, but I don't have a pulse->dtmf converter for it, yet.
    </offtopic>

I am looking into mod-ing my Pre3 with a qi charging coil so that I can use modern chargers.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I have also only very recently joined the ranks of Pre 3 owners, loving the webOS and 2011 feel so far. Sure, there is a bit of a lack of support, mainly from services that you'd expect to work (looking at you, eBay!), but otherwise thanks to the community effort, it's all good.

I'm still learning as I go along, but it really saddens me and annoys me that HP did their moronic move instead of giving us all a reasonable option to Android and iOS. webOS is really nice!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    <offtopic>
    Really? Does it handle the pulse dialing? Or just for incoming calls? I have an old candlestick phone, but I don't have a pulse->dtmf converter for it, yet.
    </offtopic>
    Yes. You can dial out. There may be other analogue telephone adapters that work with pulse dialing too, but I had read somewhere about that one, and it seems to work really well. It will be funny when my nephew comes to visit. Last year, I took him to the beach in my old truck, and he looked down at the window crank and said "what's this?" Seriously. He'd never seen one. The dial ought to really throw him.
    dkirker and Grabber5.0 like this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Streakmachine View Post
    I have also only very recently joined the ranks of Pre 3 owners, loving the webOS and 2011 feel so far. Sure, there is a bit of a lack of support, mainly from services that you'd expect to work (looking at you, eBay!), but otherwise thanks to the community effort, it's all good.

I'm still learning as I go along, but it really saddens me and annoys me that HP did their moronic move instead of giving us all a reasonable option to Android and iOS. webOS is really nice!
    Do you have the Auctionmate Pro app? I haven't tried bidding with it yet, but it seems to search and monitor auctions well.
    Do you have the Auctionmate Pro app? I haven't tried bidding with it yet, but it seems to search and monitor auctions well.
    I always forget about Auctionmate. The one thing I know it doesn't support is offers. Hopefully it will be a while before an API update breaks the app. I updated the iPhone user agent string update script with a new user agent that gets eBay working again. I haven't posted it yet because Alan and I are still testing it.
    Shuswap likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I updated the iPhone user agent string update script with a new user agent that gets eBay working again. I haven't posted it yet because Alan and I are still testing it.
    That will be nice, if it doesn't break too many other sites. :P

I've been playing around with packaging web apps on LuneOS, and one of the cool things is that you can assign each site a different user agent string in the appinfo.json file. Unfortunately, when you install them on webOS 2.2.4, they open in the browser using the regular user agent string.
    That will be nice, if it doesn't break too many other sites. :P

I've been playing around with packaging web apps on LuneOS, and one of the cool things is that you can assign each site a different user agent string in the appinfo.json file. Unfortunately, when you install them on webOS 2.2.4, they open in the browser using the regular user agent string.
    Yeah that's something we added in LuneOS
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Shuswap, elvispre, Rnp and 1 others like this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yeah that's something we added in LuneOS
    Nicely done. It's going to be a great feature.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    This I need to check out! Searching and monitoring auctions is the main thing I'd want, but bidding would also be nice, of course.

I still can't get over that eBay is sniffing the UserAgent and showing a "sorry, your doohickey isn't supported" sign.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Streakmachine View Post
    This I need to check out! Searching and monitoring auctions is the main thing I'd want, but bidding would also be nice, of course.

I still can't get over that eBay is sniffing the UserAgent and showing a "sorry, your doohickey isn't supported" sign.
    You can find auctionmate here: 6000+ webOS Apps, Abandonware, and the Way Forward
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    AuctionMate is great. Best ebay app I have seen so far. The one on Blackberry for instance is just unusable

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Wish I could use mine, even got me a backup to so that could continue using the Pre3. My carrier implemented som kind of change that the Pre3 dislike, it will reboot several times a day, but only in 3G mode. 2G still works fine but is a bit slow.

Using Lumia 640XL now and I really like some functions like Onenote and Office Lens. Im still fast typing on a Pre3 though, much faster.

Reading about the new HP Elite x3 and I couldnt help thinking to myself, "Will it run Webos?". Wishful thinking.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    That problem sounds really familiar to me. I know I've read about it somewhere.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That problem sounds really familiar to me. I know I've read about it somewhere.
    Hmm.... could this be it: pre3 cuts out and reboots randomly

Long thread. Haven't seen any solutions, but haven't finished reading it either.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.