1.    #1  
    Dear forummers,

This morning, the Pre3 says database full and asked me to reboot. I did it and then it asks for login to HP servers and set up the device Can I get back the data before reboot? I just need to retrieve my contacts and notes. Is there a file where the contacts and notes are found? Thank you in advance.

Desperate Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by JM8753 View Post
    Dear forummers,

This morning, the Pre3 says database full and asked me to reboot.
    No..!

I did it and then it asks for login to HP servers and set up the device
    Noooo!!

Can I get back the data before reboot?
    Nooo.....well, maybe?

I just need to retrieve my contacts and notes. Is there a file where the contacts and notes are found? Thank you in advance.

Desperate Jonathan
    I assume you are aware of the HP shutdown. If not, Here's the recap:
    HP to Shut Down Catalog and Cloud Services
    Closing Down Sale
    Día de los Muertos: webOS
    HP keeps the servers open for another two months
    Over and Out…

You don't mention being stuck at activation, but if you are, here is the relevant guide:
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Now, as I understand it, the reset 'wipes' all apps and data (But not the USB drive, just in case you backed up anything there). So there is a very good chance these are gone forever. BUT often, 'delete' can simply mean setting a bit on a file that allows it to be overwritten - the data remains until that occurs in normal use. This is why you can get programs that securely erase by overwriting a file multiple times - the 'deleted' data is STILL THERE until it is overwritten!

I do not know what method webOS uses to erase, but given the above, it may be possible to use data recovery tools (probably via novacom / USB) to recover your files. I don't think I've ever read of this being done and someone more expert will have to advise you if it's even possible. If you want to explore this, STOP using the Pre3 and shut it down as any activity may be overwriting your data.

You may simply have to attempt to reconstruct your data from memory and by re-contacting people.

In the future, you can use apps to regularly back up this data and it's not impossible that an automated back up system could be produced by the community in the future.
    Post 4 of this thread has the information for Contacts and Memos:
    Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015

From now on I suggest you make a back up from time to time depending on how frequently you add data to the phone so you can at least recover something in the rare event of a reset like this. As the phone is my main contact store, I also use the export function to add contact data to programs like my desktop email client.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 07/24/2015 at 02:52 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the advice. Will try something. Lost memos...
    Thanks for the advice. Will try something. Lost memos...
    Similar thing happened to me a week ago. I lost all the apps and contacts, etc. Given this, i would doctor the phone and start with a clean slate so to speak. I did that since i couldn't install uber kernel after i installed the palm recovery kernel. So there is some degree of corruption in various areas possibly. Start clean is my view.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpre06062009 View Post
    Similar thing happened to me a week ago. I lost all the apps and contacts, etc. Given this, i would doctor the phone and start with a clean slate so to speak. I did that since i couldn't install uber kernel after i installed the palm recovery kernel. So there is some degree of corruption in various areas possibly. Start clean is my view.
    Hi did you manage to recover? I tried to use recuva? cannot see the pre3 files system to recover PalmDatabase.db3
    I hope you changed your backup to something other than the palm servers. If so, you should be able to recover your contacts from your backup.
  7.    #7  
    I have use activation bypass to go into phone. Nothing inside. Did not back up. I need my memos...
    Did not back up. I need my memos...
    That is not good news!
    Hello,

I have a similar problem.

1) Pre 3 say: too many cards opened (I have no cards open).
    2) POWER - RESTART
    3) Pre 3 want activation (email, password)
    4) I do not sure with the password (I may find it, this is no problem)
    5) I bypass activation (by pivotce.com)
    6) I have all pictures, but no memos, no address (I have backup in Google mail), no calendar things, no tasks
    7) How i can BACKUP the pre3 data for the next time???

MAY I START PRE3 WITH ORIGINAL PROFILE (THE PASSWORD I CAN FIND - NO PROBLEM)?

HOW?

Thank you very much