Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    A friend of mine asked whether I have a spare quad-band phone to lend her for one month for a holiday trip. As I have two spare Pre3 phones, I thought about giving her one.

As HP is no longer maintaining the cloud servers ... I know there are several instructions online of how to initialize a Pre3 without them ... but my question is rather: As my friend only wants the phone and SMS part anyway, there's no need to get contact/calendar syncing and social stuff working. It's just all about the phone and SMS.

What's the easiest way to do it? If I reset and wipe my data ... do I then have to go through some special post-HP-world setup procedures or would that work?

TIA.
    The problem is that a fresh phone seeks to create a Palm profile. As this is not possible, you need to Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

I think that should do it if the phone is unlocked and there is a SIM ready to go on the network (often the best value option is buying a local PAYG SIM at the destination, but you'll obviously want to test first).

If your friend plans to use email or other web services, some of them need fixes. Probably the easiest thing to do is look at the service pack link below.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/26/2015 at 04:27 PM.
    We really need a new article (or two) written about bypassing activation, because those are no longer correct, since you can no longer create a profile after bypassing activation, and they incorrectly state that there are limitations on calling or texting on a bypassed phone, which is not correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    We really need a new article (or two) written about bypassing activation, because those are no longer correct, since you can no longer create a profile after bypassing activation, and they incorrectly state that there are limitations on calling or texting on a bypassed phone, which is not correct.
    @Grabber5.0: It's on the list.

@Everybody: pivotCE welcomes expert users who can write explanations of these things to the rest of us. You can be as valuable as the developers. Otherwise, it'll be written by me. So any of you want to avoid the hassle of posting corrections to my error-riddled efforts... sign up! Here: pivotCE
    Wow. Error riddled efforts? Relax.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Only half joking. But which half?

Attached Images Attached Images
    I hope I didn't upset anyone, because that certainly wasn't my intention. I was just throwing a suggestion out there to try to help avoid confusion. I never understood why those original articles said telephony services wouldn't work - I suppose it was because that's what it said on Palm's site.
  8.    #8  
    Just to check whether I understood it correctly:

1) You can use a Pre3 completely without activation (Palm Profile) as long as you don't want to use cloud services.

2) To bypass activation you need a SIM card.

So, if we use a SIM card, we can reset the Pre3 to factory defaults, insert the SIM and follow the startup procedure bypassing the profile activation.

Is that correct? Will that work as well, if the "holiday" SIM later on is a different one than the one used now for doing the setup procedure or does it have to be the same SIM?
    1) Correct, but specifically, only Palm/HP cloud services (backups, app catalog, which are shut down) don't work. Services like Google, Hotmail, Yahoo all work with caveats.

2) You do not need a SIM to bypass activation, but I can't remember now if it is slightly more complex without one. I had my developer Pre2 long before I had a SIM, but it's been several years, so I can't remember exactly. I will try to track that info down and post it here. If nothing else, I have a modified devicetool.jar that can bypass the newer devices. I do know you can pop different SIM cards in and out after bypassing activation without issue. At most you might need to adjust the APN settings for data and MMS.

Edit: I reset one of my GSM Pre3's and confirmed you do not need a SIM installed to bypass activation. On the screen that's telling you to insert your SIM, just open the keyboard and start typing the bypass code using the physical keyboard, and after pressing #* the dialer screen will appear. At that point, you can backspace if needed and erase any typo's digts and type the full bypass code: #*devmode# (#*3386633#) and press call. The developer mode screen will appear, and in the simplest case, the toggle is still set to off - tap the toggle to turn it on, and it will prompt you to reboot. Do not enter a devmode password when prompted, or things get very difficult.

In the worst case, if the dev mode toggle is already set to on, as it will be after running a meta-doctor, you have to do this twice: once to turn off developer mode, and a second time to turn it back on. I've had to do this several times after resetting developer phones or using a meta-doctor.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/27/2015 at 01:26 PM.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bellonsn View Post
    A friend of mine asked whether I have a spare quad-band phone to lend her for one month for a holiday trip. As I have two spare Pre3 phones, I thought about giving her one.

As HP is no longer maintaining the cloud servers ... I know there are several instructions online of how to initialize a Pre3 without them ... but my question is rather: As my friend only wants the phone and SMS part anyway, there's no need to get contact/calendar syncing and social stuff working. It's just all about the phone and SMS.

What's the easiest way to do it? If I reset and wipe my data ... do I then have to go through some special post-HP-world setup procedures or would that work?

TIA.
    1. Put it in devmode. (Confirm the any existing profile is not duplicating another active device)

2. Delete your personally identifiable accounts through the accounts app. Clears contacts mail and msgs. Clear your call history in the phone app.

3. Put in your friend's Sim. Reboot.

4. Confirm data settings are correct for the sim if there's issue with SMS.

That should do it for a loaner. Don't worry about the profile once it's in devmode. Don't worry about the apps cat or activating.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I hope I didn't upset anyone, because that certainly wasn't my intention. I was just throwing a suggestion out there to try to help avoid confusion. I never understood why those original articles said telephony services wouldn't work - I suppose it was because that's what it said on Palm's site.
    Just in case that is directed at me, I'm so not offended that I'm not even sure it is meant for me! The only person putting me down on this thread is me. I'm exaggerating my incompetence somewhat in the hope of attracting more writers, but there was that brutal time on the Android chroot one. I had to have the many meanings of 'root' carefully explained to me and rewrote the thing at least twice!

I hope you and TJs11thPre won't be offended if I steal your explanations for this: Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015 ...and the articles I'm supposed to be writing!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/28/2015 at 08:04 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Quite in contrast to TJs11thPre's suggestion of not even wiping the phone, I was even considering doctoring it in order to bring it into a clean state.

It's not so much that i mistrust the friend regarding some leftover data of mine, it's more that I want to hand over a clean and functional device. I patched a lot of things (even beyond Preware). I remember that I patched a few of the Google services (http -> https) manually in the .jsjsjs $files$ $before$ $official$ $patches$ $were$ $available$.

I'm not sure what else I put in a state that is not a "good state" anymore today (it was working well two years ago).

That's why I even think about wiping and doctoring it into an absolutely clean state.

Is webOS 2.2.4 still the latest or are there newer (community?) versions with a doctor available?

<dream>
    There's no post-HP doctor available that just brings a Pre3 into a fresh new state, ready for use? ;-)
    </dream>
    Nope, but bypassing activation is so easy it is just a blip on the radar. You do need to install a few mandatory patches to be a good friend though.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Just in case that is directed at me, I'm so not offended that I'm not even sure it is meant for me! The only person putting me down on this thread is me. I'm exaggerating my incompetence somewhat in the hope of attracting more writers, but there was that brutal time on the Android chroot one. I had to have the many meanings of 'root' carefully explained to me and rewrote the thing at least twice!

I hope you and TJs11thPre won't be offended if I steal your explanations for this: Your BIG BACK UP / RESTORE thread for 2015 ...and the articles I'm supposed to be writing!
    Well, I was *pretty sure* you weren't, but Alan's reply made me paranoid. I do that on my own sometimes though so I don't blame him.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  15.    #15  
    Well, I just powered up both Pre3s and checked a few things ...

Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    1. Put it in devmode.
    Both Pre3s are already in devmode, I've always used them in devmode (I think in order to put Preware on, install stuff like sshd, etc.).

(Confirm the any existing profile is not duplicating another active device)
    Not sure I understand this ... I thought the HP profile accounts don't work anymore anyway? At least if I go to "Device information" the HP webOS account field is empty on both units. When I last powered them up I saw my two different email addresses there (I had to use two accounts because only one phone was allowed per account whereas multiple TouchPads in one account were possible).

On the other hand, when I go to calendar settings, I still see "HP webOS account" listed, together with my name beneath it.

Is there a way to clear that? I can't delete it from the Accounts app because the "Delete account" button is inactive.

2. Delete your personally identifiable accounts through the accounts app. Clears contacts mail and msgs. Clear your call history in the phone app.
    I already did all that when I stopped using the devices.

3. Put in your friend's Sim. Reboot.

4. Confirm data settings are correct for the sim if there's issue with SMS.
    Can't perform those two steps right now, but I indeed think they're the easier ones.

That should do it for a loaner. Don't worry about the profile once it's in devmode. Don't worry about the apps cat or activating.
    Ok, so there's a stale HP webOS account with my name still connected to the device (which I cannot remove?), but apart from that, I should be fine?

I thought about firing up Preware 1.9.12 (which is still installed on both units), but updating the package list timed out. Have just the feeds changed or is Preware outdated as well? Oh well, I once was aware of all those things ... times have changed. ;-o
  16.    #16  
    Scrap the last question: I read about preware.org vs. preware.net and have upgraded to Preware 1.9.14 now.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Ok, I think I have the phones almost in a "ready to give them away" state.

Just one thing: Is it possible to purge the HP webOS account from the device? It still contains my name all over the place. ;-)
    I was thinking for a mere month loan, no reason to wipe any installed apps. That's not the same as giving a device away. But I still would prefer gifting a loaded device.

No offense requoting anything I say here. And I'm always open to corrections! My advice is always a best guess.

I haven't tested multi device profile conflict yet, since server shut down. Just erring on the cautious side.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I just erased all my apps and data on my HP Veer running 2.2.4. It appears to work fine with an HP webOS Account of Dr. Skipped Firstuse. (Somehow the Skype and SMS text messages were all in a Locked state, which disabled use of SMS text. The apps and data erase fixed that. Not sure what caused all Messaging to get into a locked status.)

Maybe this will ease your mind about purging your webOS account.

Good luck.
    I highly doubt it would be a problem now, but you can't sign in again to test that theory.

You can't remove your profile without wiping, at least not without database commands or Impostah. I believe I saw a post from someone that attempted it, and it caused problems. The profile is all but dead with the servers down. I think I successfully changed my profile name once on an extra device with a luna-send db command to test the theory, but I don't mind seeing Dr Skipped Firstuse in my profile. Personally, I'd either doctor it (wipe causes problems when patches are installed) or leave it alone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast