Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #21  
    Ok, thanks for all your help.

TJs11thPre is of course right, for a one month loan my old dysfunctional HP webOS account is no problem. And if I ever give the devices away, I'll consider wiping or doctoring. But perhaps nostalgia hits me and I'm toying around with them like I did in the past. ;-)
    I suppose there somewhere should be some advice written for those giving away or selling devices. Think about it: Without a bit of knowledge, it's now not possible to reset a device into a usable state and buyers should be informed of post-HP usability. Though it may be possible to eventually replicate, even improve on the missing services, we're not there yet.

I suspect we'll get a few unhappy buyers showing up here with devices showing error messages...
  3.    #23  
    I would never *sell* the devices. Either I'd give them to good friends where I know that they are either technically capable of handling the facing challenges or where I know that the state that works is enough to satisfy the person. ;-)

In the end however I think I'll just lend one of them for the said period of one month and then be happy to toy around with it from time to time for myself. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bellonsn View Post
    I would never *sell* the devices. Either I'd give them to good friends where I know that they are either technically capable of handling the facing challenges or where I know that the state that works is enough to satisfy the person. ;-)
    Yes, that was a general remark, not directed specifically at you.

I've seen an old Pre for sale in a local shop and am thinking of going in with the, "you know the servers were shutdown, right?" and securing a big discount (but do I really need another aging phone?)

But I'm also thinking of people pulling out old devices and resetting them to sell on auction sites. If people don't know the servers are down, they won't necessarily notice a problem until trying to make a new profile.

Ideally a device could be sold with a disclaimer, either ready-bypassed or with instructions on how to do it. Many out on the web are just assuming the devices are now useless. I'm drawing a bit of a blank on how to get information out there. We can only hope that googling the problem leads users to this forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12