Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday my pre3 began to show the "full database app" message and last week the battery began to discharge in a few hours so my pre needs some help.
    Early this morning I've resized the partitions to avoid the db error (mine is the 8.8G) and seted cryptodb to 300M and internal to 5.3G. Then i've rebooted crossing my fingers and... uh oh... isn't booting. A chill crossed my body, my heart begin to accelerate... finally I pull the battery, started and.. uo!! it starts!! and even better, i've all of my photos!! And it gets even better: the Paulina Rubio's album that my wife copied is losed!!!! (hehehe i'm joking, that dammed lp is still there)

    Well, now i've the battery problem. Any of you know where can I find a battery not as expensive as the mugen? The mugen makes the difference? It's value for money?
    Last edited by juanma_1980; 02/24/2015 at 03:51 AM.
  2. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #2  
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  3.    #3  
    Thxs, i've seen similar offers from alibaba sellers but I don't if one of those could stant for a day, as the original, or if the mugen, compared with the cheapest, really values for the money it costs.
  4. #4  
    I assume some of these will be available to buy: Batteries
  5. #5  
    I would say the best thing to do is back up your contacts and when it wants to reset to to fix the database problem let it do it, fixed up my pre2 pretty good. Don't know how that will work out after the shut down
  6. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    Thxs, i've seen similar offers from alibaba sellers but I don't if one of those could stant for a day, as the original, or if the mugen, compared with the cheapest, really values for the money it costs.
    At this price I keep a couple extra charged and with me when I travel. During my normal day, I just drop it on the puck so it's always charged and in reach.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  7. #7  
    Am I right in thinking there was a separate charger available? If so, it's an accessory I never hear about.

    Are the webOS super-fans now running to ebay to grab that most elusive, collection-completing part?
  8. #8  
    I have never heard of a separate battery charger, allthough I have seen recommendations for certain general chargers.

    Do not ask me which thread though....

    I remember that the discussion was about that a lot of general charges are setup for three pins, not the four of the pre 3 battery

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  9. #10  
    I stand corrected, so they exist for the original pre. Not in my collection.....

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    Well, now i've the battery problem. Any of you know where can I find a battery not as expensive as the mugen? The mugen makes the difference? It's value for money?
    Maybe it's not the battery. Maybe it's your software.

    Did you install the C+Dav app in order to keep calendar sync running? If so, what version are you using?

    When I installed C+Dav 0.3.18 back in Dec, my Pre3 started using 10-12% of battery life per hour. Once I updated to 0.3.19, it went back to about 3-4% per hour (all a light usage; for a heavy user, things will be worse).

    Even if C+Dav isn't causing your power drain problem, think back to any other changes you made right before your battery started draining faster--some other patch or prefs change may be the culprit. In fact, it's unlikely that a lithium ion battery will go bad by suddenly draining faster--they tend to slowly degrade, not fall off a cliff.

    Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I would say the best thing to do is back up your contacts and when it wants to reset to to fix the database problem let it do it, fixed up my pre2 pretty good. Don't know how that will work out after the shut down
    Yeah, some time ago I reseted my old pre- and 0 problems but nowadays... I don't want to try hehe.

    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95
    Maybe it's not the battery. Maybe it's your software.
    I dind't install the C++Dav app. I've been checking and I didn't installed any software recently. At 8:00 a.m. I've 90% of battery. At 11:00 a.m. i've 35%. Bluetooth off, wifi off, data (3G) on, mail check once an hour (4 accounts, 2 from gmail and 2 from exchange servers), screen brightness to the minimun, no sounds, and gtalk activated.
    Now I realize...since whatsapp shut down i've been using gtalk...perhaps gtalk is the guilty of my battery draining?
    ---------- EDIT-----------
    Today I realized that I can't send messages nor emails. It was the quota assigned in the /etc/palm/mojodb.conf. Fix it was simple but I needed to transfer the file to my pc, fix it with scite, transfer to /media/internal and then copy to /etc/palm. I've tryed to edit it whithin the pre with xecutah and vi but i've been incapable to save the file (where the hell I turn to command mode on the vi?). then I've tryed internalz editor but I've been again incapable to open the file with the builtin text editor as internal was trying to open it with the quickoffice suite. So then I transfer the file, made the change with scite and transfer it again.

    Another question about the battery: from the time it drains faster i've been unable to charge it from a usb cable attached to the computer. It doesn't uncharge but charges sloooooowly and if I use it (send some email or rmake one call) then it discharges although it is attached and charging.
    Last edited by juanma_1980; 02/25/2015 at 04:50 AM.
  12. #13  
    Gtalk is a battery vacuum for me. I leave it off now.

    But have you installed Dr Battery? It will tell you the health of your battery. Most of my batteries are so old, that they no longer have the full 1100mAh capacity. MOST ARE HALF THAT. So at 100% it's really the equivalent of 50% . Some of my batteries only last 3 hours because of this limited capacity from old age. So I usually carry two in my pocket, and always have the phone plugged when possible.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Maybe it's not the battery. Maybe it's your software.

    Did you install the C+Dav app in order to keep calendar sync running? If so, what version are you using?

    When I installed C+Dav 0.3.18 back in Dec, my Pre3 started using 10-12% of battery life per hour. Once I updated to 0.3.19, it went back to about 3-4% per hour (all a light usage; for a heavy user, things will be worse).

    Even if C+Dav isn't causing your power drain problem, think back to any other changes you made right before your battery started draining faster--some other patch or prefs change may be the culprit. In fact, it's unlikely that a lithium ion battery will go bad by suddenly draining faster--they tend to slowly degrade, not fall off a cliff.

    There's a .3.19?

    How is a user supposed to know this? Why don't we have updates available reported through logging into Preware or something?

    I just checked and I'm at .18, but I'm also using the other calendar patch that released so I just deleted the CDav account all together.

    Sure would be nice if we somehow had more support. I'd pay for a subscription!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  14. #15  
    You can also use "top" in the console to see if there is a lot of activity. Also.. uhm... Govnah helped a lot to look at that, it draws graphs about CPU configured speed and system usage. But: Both drain a lot of battery themselves... so keep on a charger or so and see if you can see a lot of activity.
    Also watching the log can give a lot of hints... for example corrupt contacts can send the contact linker into an endless loop of crashing and being restarted by activity manager. That will drain your device fast, too.

    Your second question: This again hints in the direction that not your battery is at fault but something else in the system. Something keeps the system so active that it will always consume more than the 500mA power a USB port is allowed to deliver. If you have multiple devices on USB ports that are powered over USB or even on a USB-powered HUB, then there is even less power avaliable for the Pre3. Minumum power was something around 100mA, IIRC.
    The Pre3 charger allows 1A = 1000mA power, the TP charger even allows 2A power and I'm pretty sure it charges a Pre3 faster, too (did not verify that 100%, but was my feeling).
    So if the quota issue does not resolve the device-busy-issue, you have to keep on searching. Your battery probably is still fine.

    @bethel95 & for power requirements and C+Dav: The version probably (not sure what caused your battery issue) does not play too much of a role for that. I did not have abnormal battery usage with 0.3.18. More important is, if the syncs are running smooth. Very bad would be a device that is still working on initial sync. But also if there is a bug and the service crashes a lot, it has to do more work on every sync to recover from the error condition, that will drain a lot faster. As a rule of thumb: The longer a background task (not only C+Dav) takes, the more power it will consume. A usual C+Dav sync should take only a couple of seconds (you can check that from the app). If it takes a lot more *every time*, something is probably wrong and people should send me a log.

    @TJs11thPre: there even is 0.3.23, now... mostly non critical fixes. I promise to look into Preware distribution, again. If this was completely my software, I'd do it already... but this is in the name of webos-ports and webos internals so I should probably use their feeds and also alpha/beta/stable testing stages (which is a very good idea for C+Dav in its current state!). But I have to learn the build process for that, before..
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  15. #16  
    I'd like to clarify my opinion, the problem with lack of update notifications is not a CDav issue, it's a webOS issue. I'm definitely not suggesting any Dev is responsible for lack of communication as there is no effective channel. Apologies if I implied that.

    That's my main gripe. We NEED an effective channel. We HAD Preware but now it appears not regularly maintained. I wish this was not the case.

    I wish someone would take the reins of Preware and keep it current, for a subscription fee if necessary. Or someone build an alternative, which I was hoping to see emerge with the activity frenzy last year responding to the news from HP.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    I have never heard of a separate battery charger, allthough I have seen recommendations for certain general chargers.

    Do not ask me which thread though....

    I remember that the discussion was about that a lot of general charges are setup for three pins, not the four of the pre 3 battery

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I have two spare battery chargers for original Pre/Pre2 batteries. One is 2 pin and one is 3pin and also acts as a charging base for the phone itself, with a USB dongle, charging batt and phone together. They both work well.

    There is no spare batt charger for the Pre3 batts.

    I tried a universal charger with adjustable charging pins, hoping to use it on the Pre3. Its pins would not fit into the well guarded slots of the Pre 3 batt. So I tested it with a Pre batt. It melted the plastic at one pin and destroyed the batt. I was very glad it didn't fit!

    Instead I bought a second Pre3 to use as a charger, and a mugen. One spare to carry and one to keep on charge in the second phone. Best possible method. (which I sold all of a month after)
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  17.    #18  
    @Garfonso: Now I've it charging from computer's usb. There's no hub, it's attached directly to computer. Govnah is set at OnDemandTcl1690 and it gives me between 10 and 250ma (+). CPU at 122mhz. If i detach the cable then battery current goes to -350 and -450 ma (-). That match a usb charge (+500ma).
    The strange, or at least I don't know if is strange, is that load average is over 9 (exactly 9.4).

    If I launch top from the QuickInstall terminal I see that activitymanager is eating the 10% aprox of cpu and a process called tacts.google.jsjsjs $that$ $is$ $eating$ $the$ $25$% ($approx$), $also$ $there$'$s$ $a$ $WebAppMgr$ $process$ $that$ $has$ $ocasional$ $peaks$ $of$ $20$%. $It$ $seems$ $too$ $much$, $I$ $suppose$ $that$ $the$ $google$ $process$ $is$ $somewhat$ $related$ $with$ $gtalk$.

    Well, without Whatsapp the gtalk app is my only chance to be "connected with the world". I hope there will be a solution early... in any case I will buy at least one spare battery and try if there's ani difference with the original.

    .@TJs11thPre I think that there's no Dr. Battery for the Pre3. In any case thanks for the tip, I'll try when I come back home
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    If I launch top from the QuickInstall terminal I see that activitymanager is eating the 10% aprox of cpu and a process called tacts.google.jsjsjs $that$ $is$ $eating$ $the$ $25$% ($approx$), $also$ $there$'$s$ $a$ $WebAppMgr$ $process$ $that$ $has$ $ocasional$ $peaks$ $of$ $20$%. $It$ $seems$ $too$ $much$, $I$ $suppose$ $that$ $the$ $google$ $process$ $is$ $somewhat$ $related$ $with$ $gtalk$.
    That is the google contacts sync. Hm. Does the PID of this application change a lot? Maybe that one is crashing and activity manager keeps respawning it. Cause 10% for activity manager is quite a lot, too.
    20% for WebAppMgr is not a lot, in fact it is quite low. That is the one running all your apps. So that is expected to cause load, at least if there are apps running (and don't forget the hidden system apps ).

    I still recommend having a look into the logs and if you see some output from google contacts service.
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    I'd like to clarify my opinion, the problem with lack of update notifications is not a CDav issue, it's a webOS issue. I'm definitely not suggesting any Dev is responsible for lack of communication as there is no effective channel. Apologies if I implied that.

    That's my main gripe. We NEED an effective channel. We HAD Preware but now it appears not regularly maintained. I wish this was not the case.

    I wish someone would take the reins of Preware and keep it current, for a subscription fee if necessary. Or someone build an alternative, which I was hoping to see emerge with the activity frenzy last year responding to the news from HP.
    As there is an Enyo2 version of the Preware app on LuneOS, I expect a certain amount of maintenance will be inevitable and as far as I'm aware, the app will indicate updates when a dev submits one to the catalogue.

    The main problem is with stuff being posted to the forums rather than packaged and submitted to Preware (I'd guess the app gallery here - link above - is the current best method.). I certainly agree that a 'convenience' subscription for some services is a good idea. A small amount would probably cover costs and anyone not wanting to pay still has the option to side load / compile source code etc. The issue here (as ever) would be finding someone with the time and inclination to admin it all - given that payment will invoke consumer protection laws, which means reasonable support, insurance etc. Software licenses were explicitly designed to sidestep this stuff, but even so...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When are they fixing Citrix?
    By bulls96 in forum webOS Apps & Games
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10/19/2011, 03:02 PM
  2. pre plus 2 themes??? need fixing?? please help?
    By nakaan93 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08/24/2010, 08:41 PM
  3. I need some help fixing a theme...
    By sportsinger75 in forum webOS Themes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/16/2010, 10:09 PM
  4. Fixing Healthcare
    By Technologic 2 in forum The 'Off Topic' Lounge
    Replies: 1404
    Last Post: 12/15/2009, 03:06 PM
  5. Help with fixing my app
    By Leke in forum webOS Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07/29/2009, 10:46 AM

Posting Permissions