Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    After discovering a while ago that my once-favourite weather app, aniWeather, no longer seems to work on my Pre3, I decided to look for a replacement. I installed all the free weather apps (available in the UK) from the App Catalog, only to discover that most of them did not work either.
    I eventually found a couple that did work "out of the box", and another two that worked after patching.
    To complete my research, I also tried the only two proper weather apps on Preware, and one available from these forums.
    Having done all this research, I decided to share my results in the hope that someone might find them useful.
    So, this is what I found, testing all the apps on my Pre3 with WiFi connected, Data on, GPS on:

1. aniWeather by forwebOS.com (App Catalog):
    DOES NOT WORK - says "Connection not available" and loads some generic icons; cannot save locations, cannot speak to GPS.
    2. The Weather Channel by The Weather Channel (App Catalog):
    WORKS AFTER PATCHING - see The Weather Channel App not working?; UPDATE: The weather maps DO NOT WORK even after patching.
    3. wetter.com by wetter.com AG (App Catalog)
    WORKS FINE OUT OF THE BOX
    4. ReWeather by Recursive (App Catalog)
    DOES NOT WORK - says "Error: no connection"; website no longer exists.
    5. Weather Dashboard Lite by SupreGigaMega LLC (App Catalog)
    WORKS FINE OUT OF THE BOX
    6. weatherIcon by abesapps.com (App Catalog)
    DOES NOT WORK - does not load, keeps flashing in the middle of the screen.
    7. Rainy Free by komola UG (App Catalog)
    DOES NOT WORK - shows generic open brolly and the word "Rainy" in the middle of the screen (ok, I'm in Britain, so it rains a lot, but not all the time!)
    8. AccuWeather by AccuWeather, Inc. (App Catalog)
    WORKS AFTER PATCHING BUT HAS SOME ISSUES - see this thread [Patch] Accuweather connection fix
    9. bWeather by forwebOS.com (App Catalog):
    DOES NOT WORK - loads some generic icons; cannot save locations, cannot speak to GPS.
    10. Weather Window Lite by Hidden World Hut (App Catalog)
    DOES NOT WORK - says "Gps Error! NoError! Sucesful GPS get"; if on dashboard says "template load failed: dashboard/error.html".
    11. The Weather Outside by MatBee Products (App Catalog)
    DOES NOT WORK - fails to load, endless spinning circle.
    12. Coming Rain by Coora (App Catalog)
    WORKS OUT OF THE BOX but is very fiddly on Pre3 screen and has some issues.
    13. FreeWeather by MetaViewSoft (App Catalog)
    DOES NOT WORK AS INTENDED - loads the right map but no weather data
    14. eWeather and News by JyriK (Preware)
    DOES NOT WORK - loads clock but no weather (or news).
    15. WeatherNow by Tom Munson (Preware)
    DOES NOT WORK - says "Unknown error (undefined)"
    16. Dash Weather+ by Choorp (from this thread http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...h-weather.html)
    WORKS FINE OUT OF THE BOX - both in full screen and as a dashboard widget.
    Last edited by Ranoulph; 02/14/2015 at 04:38 AM.
    How about Weatherbug? I have on my Pre3 and it works for me.
    And the weathermaps on the weatherchannel app still don't work, much to my dismay!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Instead of stressing over weather apps, check for mobil site of your local tv etc. Sometimes they have just as good or better weather and radar
    Thanks for this list. I've linked to it from the zombie app list. I'll integrate the broken ones when I get a bit of time.

Are the Preware apps any good (aside from being broken)? I'm assuming the code might be available somewhere for fixing - well, maybe the apps are readable anyway if they're javascript...

I think Aniweather is based on Accuweather. I guess the chances of the patch fixing it in the same way are very slim, but maybe the issue is the same and a similar fix would work. That said, I think Aniweather may have stopped working some time before Accuweather changed their server.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/14/2015 at 02:00 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by docsdad View Post
    How about Weatherbug? I have on my Pre3 and it works for me.
    As I said, I only looked at the apps I could find available for a Pre3 in the App Catalog, Preware and these forums. Weatherbug is not. I have it on my Touchpad, and it works, but it's a Touchpad-only version.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    And the weathermaps on the weatherchannel app still don't work, much to my dismay!

You're quite right. I did not check while testing as I was primarily concerned with basic functionality, but I now see that it just loads the map and no weather data. Shame. I'll update the original post to point this out.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Are the Preware apps any good (aside from being broken)? I'm assuming the code might be available somewhere for fixing - well, maybe the apps are readable anyway if they're JavaScript..
    I remember trying out eWeather and News when it still worked. I was underwhelmed. The idea of combining clocks, weather and news into one app usable in Exhibition mode may be a good but the implementation looked clumsy, and it was buggy even then.

As for WeatherNow, I have never used it because I was not attracted by the idea of an app that only told you the current weather, not the forecast. As the developer said in his description, it was for someone working in a windowless office.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Wetter.com works fine.

just peeked at anyweather ( expanded the package ), and I see 2 issues

1) forwebos.com now has a japanese site / the php page that should show their apps is no more there too.
    2) the key .jsjsjs $that$ $should$ $contain$ $the$ $feed$ $info$ ($it$ $may$ $be$ $that$ $they$ $use$ $accuweather$ $feed$, $especially$ $if$ $it$ $failed$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$) $are$ $obfuscated$.

As long as the feed comes not from forwebos.com, it could be fixed if those .jsjsjs $are$ $expanded$ $to$ $show$ $the$ $full$ $code$.
    reweather

apparently in the code it gets the feeds from Yahoo! Weather - Error , and uses yahooapi also for the location... so it should work unless they changed something in the api

I think it's not trying to contact the australian company that made reweather... but in the get it sends an appid that maybe they got from yahoo, and now has expired ?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It appears that Weather Dashboard HD is broken now, too.

I had been using it on my Touchpad in Exhibition mode and it no longer updates the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by bill2455 View Post
    It appears that Weather Dashboard HD is broken now, too.

I had been using it on my Touchpad in Exhibition mode and it no longer updates the weather.
    Same here in Paris/France, on my Pre 3...
    maybe it can be fixed... depends what they changed
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaud View Post
    Same here in Paris/France, on my Pre 3...
    Thanks for the confirmation. I'll add it to the list.

I don't have this app. I'm still OK with Accuweather + patches here and I imagine it is another API or server change, so perhaps someone is willing and able to patch it without too much difficulty - we can hope!

Can anyone post which service the app connects to?

I assume it's closed source..?
    According to the install folder in cryptofs, the source seems to be yahoo weather...
    Preemptive likes this.
    prob they sIightly changed the way data is returned, or asked.

Would help seeing the code of that part, then it can be tried in a browser.. to find the issue
    ...and according to Yahoo Weather, their data comes from The Weather Channel.

'Data' is not the same as 'feed' or 'API', but there is a weather channel app that was successfully patched by Grabber5.0. I would say the possibility looks good that if the issue is a change at Yahoo, this could be fixed or even the app could be modified to get data directly from the Weather Channel.

A search of Github for 'Yahoo weather' shows 488 repositories. 65 are javascript code.
    Search - Yahoo Weather - Github

Anyone want to try?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/05/2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Yahoo's API and URLs changed, I have to fix this in a linux weather app I use @ work (i3-weather). The new URL (if we can get in and fix any of them- I haven't looked) is:

http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?w={}&u={}

Where w={} is w=woeid and u={} is your units. For example, I am in Boise, ID and my string would be:

2366355 is the woeid for Boise, and 'f' for Farenheight.
    Last edited by kancept; 04/11/2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Un-URL'd my link.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I only skimmed the thread so apologies if this is irrelevant...

But here's a reminder that any image you find on the weather channel site, you can bookmark, then create a shortcut for the bookmark in the app drawer or quick launcher. Sort of an instant app.

For example, i have the "US current weather" map bookmarked. Go to the web page which provides the map, right click on it to open the image so you can retrieve URL of only the image, then bookmark THAT.

those map images Auto refresh on their servers, so any time i go there, i get the current map at the bookmarked URL.

https://i.imwx.com/images/maps/curre...wx_600x405.jpg looks like this:

Here's the temp map.
    https://i.imwx.com/images/maps/curre...mp_600x405.jpg
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 04/13/2016 at 01:22 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    kancept likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast