Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    And Yahoo' API changed again...

https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/
    Again after your post a week ago?
    The STAR WARS WEATHER app is broken too on TP. Message from the developer in the app: "The Star Wars Weather Forecast doesn't work any more.
    Sorry, but Yahoo locked down their Weather API, significantly limiting anonymous, public access. Like many developers, I can't make the old forecast work under their new restrictions. It was a good few years.

The official Star Wars app has a similar weather forecast."....
    by what I saw of the new api, the differences are huge (the changes made a few weeks ago were small and could have allowed to patch the code, I was looking/thinking about it).
    They added a few more restrictions... like an oauth key to identify a registered developer, and a limit of 2000 queries for "free" usage (or something like that, anyway).

Imho it would be simpler to
    1) find an alternative weather data feed
    2) make a very small translation lib to translate calls for the old yahoo to it, and vice versa
    3) add and patch

4) any further changes along the road, would just require a single fix to the translation lib
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    by what I saw of the new api, the differences are huge (the changes made a few weeks ago were small and could have allowed to patch the code, I was looking/thinking about it).
    They added a few more restrictions... like an oauth key to identify a registered developer, and a limit of 2000 queries for "free" usage (or something like that, anyway).

Imho it would be simpler to
    1) find an alternative weather data feed
    2) make a very small translation lib to translate calls for the old yahoo to it, and vice versa
    3) add and patch

4) any further changes along the road, would just require a single fix to the translation lib
    Very odd...

Some minor changes, then a big one.

I would expect some lead time - like an announcement, so everyone gets a chance to update before the switch.
    So maybe the minor changes were announced, but unnoticed by anyone here until Yahoo weather broke.

Now, there's a big announcement and another change will be coming down the pipe... in the coming months?

Is my assumption correct?

Regarding the options, if there is another feed with an API that matches the old Yahoo one, then it would just be a case of patching some URLs. But probably, any patch will need more work than that.

Your idea of a translation library sounds interesting as it could be applied to other apps and even other services and of course, enable apps to switch services (though I imagine there will be a bit of a performance hit, but maybe not a big one). Also, I expect a 2000 request limit would be enough for webOS users. Or... Accuweather still works with the patches - perhaps switch to that API / service?

So if the minor changes are current and the major ones are in the future, perhaps you could build the translation patch and the library of minor changes, then a library of the latest changes could be made at a more leisurely pace? I'm assuming a lot here!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12