Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    The devil grins from ear to ear when he sees the hand he's dealt us
    Points at your flaming hair, and then we're playing hide and seek
    I can't breathe easy here, less our trail's gone cold behind us
    Till' in the john mirror you stare at yourself grown old and weak

Well, I think that's it for me. Ordered a BlackBerry Classic last weekend, it's arriving today. I really need my communications apps back up. i.e. WhatsApp, as I need it to talk to family overseas.

It might take a while for me to move and find replacements on what I do with my phone, and going to try to make Touchstone work with the Classic (low and behold someone took the back cover off and it had charging pins exposed, probably for PMA and Qi on AT&T and Verizon).

Would like to thank everyone who helped for the past several years with 4 phones (Pre, Pre Plus, Veer, Pre 3), and webOS will be sorely missed.

I still have a stockpile of some parts, and some phones in good condition. PM me if you need anything, I'll probably still stick around.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Good luck and let us know how the BlackBerry compares.
    thats too bad. I thought i read recently whats app was building a website version (or some other company was?) but do not remember the details.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I was a long time Palm user as well and now have been using a Blackberry Classic since December. I've been liking the Classic. They keyboard is great and has a very satisfying clicky feel. There are also a bunch of keyboard shortcuts I like to use.
    650p | 755p | Centro | Pre | Pixi | Pre 2 | Pre 3 | 2 Touchpads
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    thats too bad. I thought i read recently whats app was building a website version (or some other company was?) but do not remember the details.
    They did, but in the most stupid possible way.

How it works is that the web page shows a QR code for you to use your phone to log on. Basically then it just mirrors your phone on the screen. It uses some proprietary API which only Chrome has, and your phone must have reception and connected to WhatsApp for it to work. It doesn't even work with all the platforms WhatsApp uses, iPhone OS is not supported for example.

They probably took the inspiration from WeChat, which has a similar authentication mechanism, but they went a step further with the stupidity.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

...but...but Toni! You put yourself on the list!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3433952
    Number 15!

Are you going to make me re-number it again?!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    ...but...but Toni! You put yourself on the list!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3433952
    Number 15!

Are you going to make me re-number it again?!
    I'll still be around to be a webOS parts hawker.:P

You better keep using a webOS phone to access the forums using the Forums app. There's no better experience!
    petbull likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Well my Pre 3 will be cryogenic frozen for the next 30 years. I have an extended relaxation chamber ready for it.

paisley99 likes this.
    I got burned (sort of) on the playbook as they discontinued support and had crappy servicing policy.
    I guess the blackberry classic has an old installed base at least--may be safer.

I no longer in general feel like supporting platforms unless I know they are going to be around for awhile. I don't regret webOS though at all.

anyway apparently the latest luneOS supports messaging. that is something at least. Perhaps get an android phone and install luneos?
    Presumably, the 'webogram' mentioned here: As PlanB for WhatsApp: TELEGRAM
    ...would run on LuneOS (at least when the bugs are ironed out) maybe with not a whole lot of tweaking?
    Global Posts
    778 Global Posts
    Palm time capsule?
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    anyway apparently the latest luneOS supports messaging. that is something at least. Perhaps get an android phone and install luneos?
    Keyboard.

horzel likes this.
    I put myself on the list too.... but my SIM moves back n' forth between my Pre3 and a couple of BlackBerries.

I like BB10, but the hub doesn't really compare to synergy, and the GUI just isn't as elegant as webOS. I like BlackBerry better than the other alternatives though, and no one makes keyboards like they do.
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Keyboard.
    So as soon as you have your classic, you will start looking into porting LuneOS?

Big Evil Grin :-)
    gizmo21 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    So as soon as you have your classic, you will start looking into porting LuneOS?

Big Evil Grin :-)
    That would really be a nice device to use webOS on
    What about that guy being sued for adding a keyboard to the iPhone--Ryan Seacrest?
    Now that he is being sued, should be a lot of those dumped on the market somewhere , maybe it can be added to the android phone

you can see we dont want to let you go
  18.    #18  
    Well for starters I find myself constantly swiping a second time trying to close an app instead of tapping on the X...

In some ways BB10 does feel like webOS, just less hackable without Preware.

We'll keep a light on for ya...
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Good luck and let us know how the BlackBerry compares.
    I'm surprised how webOS-eque it actually feels, the cards metaphor, swipe to suspend apps. Especially the BlackBerry Hub. It's Synergy messaging and notifications on steroids with actual third party support, just like webOS promised back then.

Docs to Go too.. anyone remember how bad that thing was back in 1.4.5? Still quite bad after the BB acquisition. But at least I can run Office 365 with the Android VM.

Maybe just a few things missing like wireless charging and swipe to switch cards, overall it feels familiar.

barryb20 and cbosdell like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast