Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just a quick note that is a follow up to a previous thread about battery life / data usage.
    2 things that I want to mention

First

A few months ago, out of the blue, my data usage spike really bad, I went from barely a few MB a months, to over 1 GB without doing anything different.

I believe that I found what had happened, which was that something caused my emails accounts and other data updates to switch to the "as it arrives" (aka non stop checking) mode.

So... long story short, I went and installed Data Toggle (preware) and placed the shortcut on my main bar.

Now, I just turn my data on when I want to do my updates (manually) or need data (Google maps, look up adresses, etc.) whenever I'm not at a WIFI location (home or work), BUT I still leave the WIFI on when I'm travelling around town.

The results have been stagering...

First, no more DATA usage issues, but second, the power usage has dropped so much that unless I'm playing games, or other power heavy App, the phone can last a good 3 or more days between needing to be topped up.

I tested it at some point and after 3 days of just a bit of usage, it was still a good 60-70% charge.

Second

A while ago, I bough one of those 10$ batteries and ended up after 6 months, with a bloated battery that wouldn't work with the Touchstone, it was so bloated that it was pushing on the back enough that the contact weren't touching. I returned them and they sent me a replacement...

This replacement has kinda did similar, but I've noticed that only getting it up to 100% charged and then taking the phone off the Touchstone has helped a lot and so far this battery has been working great.

If I do leave it on the charger, it does end up doing the "charging/not charging" over and over due to the battery expanding... but thanks to the whole Data Toggle thing, having to keep putting it on the Touchstone all the time to ensure it's charged and that I don't end up with a dead phone isn't as important to do anyways.

Today for example, I played games with the phone about 30 minutes, maybe 45 today, it's been with me for a good 8 hours, travelled to work, and on the WIFI here at my office, and it's still at 93%

Just though I'd share in case others would like to increase the battery's life.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Yes turning data off saves a lot of power. Airplane mode saves even more!

This battery you bought. Was it a black version with word Palm and nothing else on the front?

Or was it the grey label with a lot of caution wording in various languages, and a hologram sticker suggesting is authenticity?

I need to buy a battery or two. I have 9 but none are long life anymore.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

This battery you bought. Was it a black version with word Palm and nothing else on the front?

Or was it the grey label with a lot of caution wording in various languages, and a hologram sticker suggesting is authenticity?

I have my old Pre2 that's just on WIFI (no SIM), and it doesn't last as long as my Pre2 with the SIM card...

For the battery it was from http://ca.cellphoneshop.net/ but it appears that they've closed down... sad.. it's the only place I found with these Pre3 batteries... for 10$. They are white batteries with "Replacement for Pre3" written on them.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Just a quick note that is a follow up to a previous thread about battery life / data usage.
    2 things that I want to mention

First

A few months ago, out of the blue, my data usage spike really bad, I went from barely a few MB a months, to over 1 GB without doing anything different.

I believe that I found what had happened, which was that something caused my emails accounts and other data updates to switch to the "as it arrives" (aka non stop checking) mode.

So... long story short, I went and installed Data Toggle (preware) and placed the shortcut on my main bar.

Now, I just turn my data on when I want to do my updates (manually) or need data (Google maps, look up adresses, etc.) whenever I'm not at a WIFI location (home or work), BUT I still leave the WIFI on when I'm travelling around town.

The results have been stagering...

First, no more DATA usage issues, but second, the power usage has dropped so much that unless I'm playing games, or other power heavy App, the phone can last a good 3 or more days between needing to be topped up.

I tested it at some point and after 3 days of just a bit of usage, it was still a good 60-70% charge.

Second

A while ago, I bough one of those 10$ batteries and ended up after 6 months, with a bloated battery that wouldn't work with the Touchstone, it was so bloated that it was pushing on the back enough that the contact weren't touching. I returned them and they sent me a replacement...

This replacement has kinda did similar, but I've noticed that only getting it up to 100% charged and then taking the phone off the Touchstone has helped a lot and so far this battery has been working great.

If I do leave it on the charger, it does end up doing the "charging/not charging" over and over due to the battery expanding... but thanks to the whole Data Toggle thing, having to keep putting it on the Touchstone all the time to ensure it's charged and that I don't end up with a dead phone isn't as important to do anyways.

Today for example, I played games with the phone about 30 minutes, maybe 45 today, it's been with me for a good 8 hours, travelled to work, and on the WIFI here at my office, and it's still at 93%

Just though I'd share in case others would like to increase the battery's life.
    All good batteries must have small PCB with at least 2 IC for overcharging and over discharging protection. If those ICs are bad or not configured right than the IC will not cut the current going in to battery and battery will get overcharged and can get damaged. If so the only solution is to disconnect device from charget when the battery is full charged.
    Usually PCB also has "thermistor" to measure temperature of battery and cut the charging if battery if overheating. One more element need to be present to ensure reliable and safe battery, so called "PolySwitch Overtemperature Device" monted directly on the cell. Ordinary PTC physically cut "wire" if something strange is going on, like too high temperature. In my designs I use both, just to be on the safe side. Many battery manufacturers just ignore those "safty" guidelines to cut the price of the battery and at the end we can have different issues.
    photo of PTC where the real mechanical principle can be seen

more info on PolySwitches
    http://www.te.com/content/dam/te/glo...ndamentals.pdf
    Last edited by Sumy; 01/17/2015 at 04:24 AM.
    Remy X and Rnp like this.

So it seems like there's only two options left for new batteries:

The Chinese one with "a lot of caution wording: for $14.50.
    or
    The 1400mah from Mugen for $44.50.

You could get three of the cheap ones for one of the Mugen. Hmmm. I've got one of the Mugen and does fine but it is getting a pretty fussy on the touchstone. My original Palm won't charge on the touchstone at all any more. Anyone have any experience with the cheap one?
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    So it seems like there's only two options left for new batteries:

The Chinese one with "a lot of caution wording: for $14.50.
    or
    The 1400mah from Mugen for $44.50.

You could get three of the cheap ones for one of the Mugen. Hmmm. I've got one of the Mugen and does fine but it is getting a pretty fussy on the touchstone. My original Palm won't charge on the touchstone at all any more. Anyone have any experience with the cheap one?
    Hmmm....

I wonder... if the cheap Chinese battery won't have proper safety components, could it be "upgraded" with the ones borrowed from a spent OEM battery? What do you think? Of course, if the cell capacity and other ratings will match up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hmmm....

I wonder... if the cheap Chinese battery won't have proper safety components, could it be "upgraded" with the ones borrowed from a spent OEM battery? What do you think? Of course, if the cell capacity and other ratings will match up...
    The company, CameronSino, makes a bunch of batteries and says they have a 12 month warranty. That makes me think that they must have some kind of safety mechanism. Maybe? Some sites are selling the same battery for $35-40. It'd be nice to know if anyone has any experience with them, but I'm tempted to try at least one. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    The company, CameronSino, makes a bunch of batteries and says they have a 12 month warranty. That makes me think that they must have some kind of safety mechanism. Maybe? Some sites are selling the same battery for $35-40. It'd be nice to know if anyone has any experience with them, but I'm tempted to try at least one. . .
    I will buy one and take it appart and post pictures and findings here.
    kayphoonstar and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Hmmm....

The easiest way is to replace cell of original battery with original Samsung cell, but the issue here is that it is not good idea to solder directly on the cell, usually the contacts from PCB are applied by electric welding - spot welding (not sure the exact english word for that)
    Last edited by Sumy; 01/18/2015 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    I will buy one and take it appart and post pictures and findings here.
    Thought to buy it directly from Cameron Sino to avoid fakes from Aliexpress, registered at CameronSino and got message about getting password withiin 7 days, seems they are doing this manualy
    Thank you very much to register of our website.
    We are preceding your application and you will get your password and login information within 7 days.
    Should you have further inquires, please contact us at info@cameronsino.com [links to 'mailto:info@cameronsino.com'].

Best regards
    Sales & Marketing Department
    Cameron Sino Technology Limited
    Ugh sorry I see now we are discussing Pre3 batteries, not the one for previous models.

@SUMY: you seem to know a lot about batteries. Is it a waste of time to buy batteries for original Pre/Pre2/Treo on eBay? Would their age be a significant factor if they haven't been power cycled?

Is it possible to rebuild these batteries using fresh cells inside? Like if some knowledgeable person built a batch for us to purchase from him?? (Nudge nudge, wink wink)
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Ugh sorry I see now we are discussing Pre3 batteries, not the one for previous models.

@SUMY: you seem to know a lot about batteries. Is it a waste of time to buy batteries for original Pre/Pre2/Treo on eBay? Would their age be a significant factor if they haven't been power cycled?

Is it possible to rebuild these batteries using fresh cells inside? Like if some knowledgeable person built a batch for us to purchase from him?? (Nudge nudge, wink wink)
    If they are really new, they shoul be fine, if they are not drained to 0, maybe a little less capacity. I just started my Treo 680 and Centro last week and batteries are still holding charge. I have a few new ones in the box, will give them a try this week.
    Thought to buy it directly from Cameron Sino to avoid fakes from Aliexpress, registered at CameronSino and got message about getting password withiin 7 days, seems they are doing this manualy
    Thank you very much to register of our website.
    We are preceding your application and you will get your password and login information within 7 days.
    Should you have further inquires, please contact us at info@cameronsino.com [links to 'mailto:info@cameronsino.com'].

Best regards
    Sales & Marketing Department
    Cameron Sino Technology Limited
    Got confirmation and will place order today or tomorrow.
    You think any improvement could be found for the Veer battery? It's small, so any capacity improvements would be good The battery can be taken out easily and looks similar to a Pre 3 battery, just smaller
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Info regarding Pre 3 battery and highest capacity available
    Batteries

I will do a quick check for Pre 2 in a day or tow as I never dismantled one before.
    Looking at those photos the connector is quite unique.
    Do your or anyone else have any broken Veer battery?
    I would like to dismantle Veer battery and I don't have Veer nor battery for it.

Photos are from http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Veer_Disassembly
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    You think any improvement could be found for the Veer battery? It's small, so any capacity improvements would be good The battery can be taken out easily and looks similar to a Pre 3 battery, just smaller
    I found Veer cell specifications and yes, the original cell with 920 mAh could be replaced with cell of 1180 mAh, so 200 mAh more
    Remy X and DocJones like this.
    I could send you a working battery from otherwise broken Veer if that helps :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Funny thing happened. My phone was acting a fool, battery drain and hotter than normal. Also bout 2 weeks ago I had the database full warring.

So I deleted some stuff and changed my email settings, and didn't get the message gain until yesterday. Had to do the restart and log into my profile again. All my contacts were gone, call logs, messaging, and preware stuff.

But now its like a brand new phone. Battery is like I haven't seen it in a very long time, and I checked govnah to see the temp. It was in the high 20's where before it used to be in the high forties all the time, brushing up against 50.

So now I'm thinking there is a correlation between performance and that database stuff
    The size of the database definitely seems to affect performance. That's why messaging and email get slow as the number of messages increases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast