Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By frantid
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre
    Global Posts
    383 Global Posts
    I found that you could run linux on this thing. I mean, the thing IS LINUX based and can run linux packages.

So, if im gonna use this as a daily driver in 2015, i have a q. Can i (with modification or not) run linux terminal apps? Even if its kinda hard, im used to a lot of this, so yea. Also, is there a package manager so i can, say
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mutt (favourite email client)
    or maybe
    Code:
    sudo yum install mutt
    ? Cuz that would be awesome. Now, you might go like, LOL GET AN ANDROID AND HAX ROOT IT LAWLLOLOLLOL. Okay, does any android phone in 2015 have a physical kyeboard... And good specs so it actually can run android without being a turtle?
    Preware is your friend :

you can install optware and download packages from it, then run them in command line using xecutah or wterm.
    you can also install a chroot (debian or ubuntu , plus a newer ubuntu if you look on the forum ), but for that you need to repartition ( for the newer is not needed, a virtual ext3 drive image is provided, with instructions to mount .. it requires around 3.5GB)
    You can use nslu2-linux packages.
    NSLU2-Linux - Optware / Packages browse

If you want to use the "raw" ipkg-opt command packages, do yourself a favor and follow this page:
    Optware - WebOS Internals

I use quilt on almost all my devices to do patching via a putty session from my desktop. You could do it on device using wterm from Preware.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacwib View Post
    I found that you could run linux on this thing. I mean, the thing IS LINUX based and can run linux packages.

So, if im gonna use this as a daily driver in 2015, i have a q. Can i (with modification or not) run linux terminal apps? Even if its kinda hard, im used to a lot of this, so yea. Also, is there a package manager so i can, say
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mutt (favourite email client)
    or maybe
    Code:
    sudo yum install mutt
    ? Cuz that would be awesome. Now, you might go like, LOL GET AN ANDROID AND HAX ROOT IT LAWLLOLOLLOL. Okay, does any android phone in 2015 have a physical kyeboard... And good specs so it actually can run android without being a turtle?
    Welcome you are in the right place.

We most certainly WILL NOT say go get android.

Search: devmode, preware, wosqi 4.60, to get started.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    383 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Preware is your friend :

you can install optware and download packages from it, then run them in command line using xecutah or wterm.
    you can also install a chroot (debian or ubuntu , plus a newer ubuntu if you look on the forum ), but for that you need to repartition ( for the newer is not needed, a virtual ext3 drive image is provided, with instructions to mount .. it requires around 3.5GB)

First of all, sorry for SUPER LATE reply.

Can I chroot fedora? Thats my main os so im more comfortable with it :P

But debian wouldent be so bad either.

Well, I might pick up a pre 3 sometime!

Only time can tell.
    There's no premade chroot for fedora. I guess you could as long as you also create the chroot itself