Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ggendel
  • 2 Post By barryb20
  • 2 Post By cbosdell
  • 1 Post By dkirker
  1. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
       #1  
    My last backup Verizon Pre 3 stopped charging on the Touchstone last weekend. I took a few hours to fix it using parts from a previous unit, rebuilding it twice since the speaker decided to quit in the process. The good news is that, not only is everything working, but the audio is greatly improved. I use it to listen via headphones when I exercise and the soundstage opened up and things are more crisp. My first unit sounded like this but the others never matched it. I guess that cleaning and reseating all the contacts was the cure.

    That said, this event really shook me with the realization that I have no contingency plan when this unit goes. I started looking at the various phone offerings and I'm overwhelmed, confused, and depressed. I'm trying to figure out where to go next. I'll really miss the touchstone integration. I love that it automatically does a speakerphone to normal switch and back and that it automatically mutes all sounds but a soft ringer (for incoming calls) and the list goes on and on.

    So, what are people using to get close to the WebOS experience? From my cursory analysis, it looks like Windows comes the closest, but it does suffer from a severe lack of app developer support (for example, there are almost no bank apps for it). I don't think it will get better unless they pick up some marketshare. My son works for Apple and we've had lots of "heated" discussions about iOS vs WebOS since I bought my Pre-Plus the first day it was offered on Verizon. I knew I finally won (a hollow victory) when, with each release of iOS, my son says "Look, they've implemented feature x, y, and z, just like WebOS".

    I'd like to figure out the right direction to go when the inevitable happens but I'll be the first one back if there is a good WebOS/LuneOS phone available.

    Anyone gone through the process of "what's next?" and have some insights to share?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
  2. #2  
    Hi ggendel,

    well I could be just the man you need to speak to I have had all and I mean all the current offerings, and still have WP 8.1 (Lumia 925), Moto X (gen2) and 3 Blackberries, z10,z30 and a Passport (well it is for Xmas)

    My girl has an iPhone 4s and I have had all the ones up to the 4, and I have an iPad.
    3 Palm Pres, Pre1, Pre2 and Pre3
    A Jolla phone running Sailfish

    I wont go into other EOL OS's.

    In my opinion, and it is left field, you cannot go wrong with BlackBerry and their QNX based BB10 platform.

    It doesn't have as many native apps as either the other 3, iOS, Droid or WP, BUT it can run Android applications from either the Amazon App store or by sideloading SNAP which will provide you access to Google Play store, and as I found out with the latest leaked OS I can download my purchased Play store applications too! I even run my Google Music on my BBerry

    They may not run as fast (at least on the Z30, wont know until I get the PP @ Xmas) but they are fast enough for a runtime environment running on top of another OS and the slowness mainly is around launch speed.

    As for BB10, it is a joy to use with the only buttons being Power, Volume and the stop / play button in between the volume rocker, thats it all the rest is gesture based.

    The software keyboard is one of the best I have used to date, including swift key on droid.

    If you are unsure pick up a Z10 or if you can stretch to it a Z30 on the cheap and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

    Just my 2P

    Barry
    cbosdell and GoJoe2 like this.
  3. #3  
    Accuweather and All Twitter apps stop working yesterday on my Pre 3, so i bought a Android cheap phone (Alcatel C1) , sadly,if we dont make a crowfunding campaign to pay a group of developers for build at least a decent browser,its the end (all the alternatives are the same vs the stock browser and QML Browser its the best,but need a lot of work)


    I could survive with my Pre 3 if only have a decent web browser for use mobile pages of the social networks (i use steam mobile, facebook its still usable with Quick Chat Facebook) but grooveshark (i use a lot this service) stopped work anymore,the pages i added on my bookmarks,not render a lot of pictures.


    I keep my Pre 3 ,its a great phone, but isnt usable for me , if we make a campaign,i donate a decent amount,i love webOS, but the apps starts to making obsolete and isnt intuitive use always web browser.

    Its usable for light social networks seach and mail,weather (RainCOming still working for me ,but the UI isnt beaty like AccuWeather) nothing more, the music player is horrible (i wasted 2 days adding the correct albums/artists/song name and the player refuses to show the correct info )
  4. #4  
    Its the end if we dont make a money contribution to pay a developer(s) to create at least a new browser, the stock its obsolete and the alternatives doenst have a recent render protocols
    Appart ,Maccaw and all twitter apps stopped working,when i try to log in a blank page appears,Facebook app is broken,but i ussing x,facebook,com and Quick Chat.
    Sadly,i need use that social networks and grooveshark app (i have the unlimited app but probably stop working next year when grooveshark use new API) HTML5 webpage is broken.
    Now i have a Android Phone, i could contribute if reunite a decent group,could be possible keep live webOS,its great, i have a HP Pre 3, but most important apps stops working recently (Facebook,Grooveshark,Spotify,Twitter)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Hi ggendel,

    well I could be just the man you need to speak to I have had all and I mean all the current offerings, and still have WP 8.1 (Lumia 925), Moto X (gen2) and 3 Blackberries, z10,z30 and a Passport (well it is for Xmas)

    My girl has an iPhone 4s and I have had all the ones up to the 4, and I have an iPad.
    3 Palm Pres, Pre1, Pre2 and Pre3
    A Jolla phone running Sailfish

    I wont go into other EOL OS's.

    In my opinion, and it is left field, you cannot go wrong with BlackBerry and their QNX based BB10 platform.

    It doesn't have as many native apps as either the other 3, iOS, Droid or WP, BUT it can run Android applications from either the Amazon App store or by sideloading SNAP which will provide you access to Google Play store, and as I found out with the latest leaked OS I can download my purchased Play store applications too! I even run my Google Music on my BBerry

    They may not run as fast (at least on the Z30, wont know until I get the PP @ Xmas) but they are fast enough for a runtime environment running on top of another OS and the slowness mainly is around launch speed.

    As for BB10, it is a joy to use with the only buttons being Power, Volume and the stop / play button in between the volume rocker, thats it all the rest is gesture based.

    The software keyboard is one of the best I have used to date, including swift key on droid.

    If you are unsure pick up a Z10 or if you can stretch to it a Z30 on the cheap and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

    Just my 2P

    Barry
    I just wanted to second your post. I've run pretty much all the major OS's and BB10 by far is the most intuitive coming from webOS. Jailbroken iOS is alright but not very multitasking friendly and even though I've tried I can't tolerate Android for more than a few hours.

    I have the BlackBerry Z30 running the latest 10.3.1 OS and between the HUB, intuitive gestures, their version of card multitasking, the best HTML5 browser, and all the apps you could want you're set.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    barryb20 and dkirker like this.
  6. #6  
    I've been using CyanogenMod on an oppo find5 as my driver (though, I am using nightlies and BT has an annoying issue, so bad on me), and my Pre3 as a backup. It's an alright combo. My disappointment is that EVERY device is HUGE and just getting bigger.... Also, I miss the keyboard........ So, I might just keep my current setup.

    The Android/CyanogenMod is great because it is very hackable. I'm all about that. :P
    Did you know:

    webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Saijin_Naib likes this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by yousucks2 View Post
    Accuweather and All Twitter apps stop working yesterday on my Pre 3, so i bought a Android cheap phone (Alcatel C1) , sadly,if we dont make a crowfunding campaign to pay a group of developers for build at least a decent browser,its the end (all the alternatives are the same vs the stock browser and QML Browser its the best,but need a lot of work)


    I could survive with my Pre 3 if only have a decent web browser for use mobile pages of the social networks (i use steam mobile, facebook its still usable with Quick Chat Facebook) but grooveshark (i use a lot this service) stopped work anymore,the pages i added on my bookmarks,not render a lot of pictures.


    I keep my Pre 3 ,its a great phone, but isnt usable for me , if we make a campaign,i donate a decent amount,i love webOS, but the apps starts to making obsolete and isnt intuitive use always web browser.

    Its usable for light social networks seach and mail,weather (RainCOming still working for me ,but the UI isnt beaty like AccuWeather) nothing more, the music player is horrible (i wasted 2 days adding the correct albums/artists/song name and the player refuses to show the correct info )
    Project Macaw works and is a good twitter client
    And accuweather works now, with a patch.

    Music player remix is now free for everyone, and is a good music player, but yes... the browser is now so so, and a new one would be a blessing

    You are too quick to give up on the Pre3 / webos, imo
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by yousucks2 View Post
    Its the end if we dont make a money contribution to pay a developer(s) to create at least a new browser, the stock its obsolete and the alternatives doenst have a recent render protocols
    Yes, browser...

    Isis-Project Browser - Abandoned?

    Unfortunately, porting the LuneOS browser requires porting all the underlying technology.

    A decent browser can fill in for absent apps these days. Maybe a crowd funding campaign could work, but I'm doubtful.

    BTW. Macaw works fine for me on phone & tablet, so maybe try reinstalling.

Posting Permissions