Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  • 1 Post By modelnet
  • 2 Post By John Steffes
  • 2 Post By John Steffes
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    If I purchase a new Pre 3 AFTER Jan 15 can it still be used by activated using impostah etc
    No new devices can be 'activated' to use HP profile, app catalog etc. as those functions go away. That's what the shutdown means. HP is sh!tcanning all responsibility for the devices.

However, if you mean "Can I use the phone as a phone and take part in the awesome webOS community?"

Then the answer is yes.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    ka1 likes this.
    It can still be used. Just use the bypass activation code as described here:

Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Then you can put it in developer mode and load preware and whatever else you want. There won't be any traditional activation through the Palm servers any longer though.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Thanks I have used bypass before, but for some reason I thought it still needed to contact HP servers, my bad. ( I fumble through ) Thankyou , I have two spare but you can never have too many Pre 3 or veer lol
    cbosdell likes this.
    Oh my. This thread would have saved me 500€ in Jollas if I had known.
    When I have bypassed activation on one of my previous HP Pre 3 (should be 3 years ago) I had problems with receiving and sending messages (TEXT, SMS). I did this because HP required activation using SIM card data. I am in Europe and at that time I had no clue if it will lock me out of using USA HP catalog with paid applications, that's why I used this procedure. Same happened to my college too. I remember as he didn't do the proper activation at all. His device was unable to send SMSes (he is not using it any more now).
    It seems that activating and communicating with HP servers does/did some modifications or additional setup in the Pre 3.

Did anybody else had same problem? Does anyone knows what is changed in the phone to perform like this?

I still have new Pre 3 in the box and I plan to do the following this weekend (to see how it will perform with doing):
    a.) activation bypass
    b.) normal activation
    Last edited by Sumy; 12/10/2014 at 02:11 AM.
    I have never activated my Developer Pre3, however, it is on Verizon (has the latest Preferred Roaming List), and it can dial the operator and 911 (although I have not tested 911), anyway as it is not activated I can not test texts, but it has never been activated via the palm catalog but I have removed the bypassed first use, and re-created a local palm profile (thru impostah I think it was databases?), and it has a local calendar and contacts I have imported. So I know that it can be done. (As far as I know there are different versions of 2.2.4 for each carrier AT&T, Verizon, and WR). The Verizon doctor by default forces one to download Skype thru the app catalog, so one will want to remove the download app (look at the Skype threads for the exact app to uninstall). Other then that their were issues with the first doctors released (as they caused some issue with carriers) must make sure one has the latest... I have a Verizon Pre3 Doctor will lots of updates including removing the Skype download App so one can use the latest Skype Version. Waiting for the Dust to settle then once HP/Palm has fully given up, was thinking I might post all of my modified Doctors...

(Would love to know the legal ramifications of a software company who gave up, pulled their source, if they can still sue for others providing updated versions of their software?)
    TJs11thPre and Sumy like this.
    I bypassed activation on my unlocked Pre2 developer device and my unlocked Pre3, and had no trouble sending text messages or making phone calls on either one using the same T-Mobile prepaid SIM card. Both were in use on WiFi before I bought the SIM. Now, I did log into profiles on them using Impostah, so it is not quite the same thing as never being able to sign in, and perhaps not relevant now that I think about it. I don't recall now whether or not I tried t before using Impostah to sign in.
    ok, my latest Pre3 screen died yesterday. I have some spare parts, may be able to fix it, but had trouble last time, and did have a NIB unlocked ATT Veer.

So, I just tried to activate it, using my TMobile sim card. And it worked, no issues. I thought for sure I'd need the ATT SIM.

Hate to say it, but I think I'll keep with the Veer for a few weeks, then get an iPhone. But who knows?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    I think to remember reading somewhere back in the times ( I too originally activated my pre3 skipping the standard way and going from wi-fi, also to get access to the US app catalog ) that allowing to activate by connecting to the hp servers (after enabling wifi and co) ensured finalizing some parts of the setup.

That said, I'm relying on my memory... so I can be wrong ( all in all was 3 years ago )
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I think to remember reading somewhere back in the times ( I too originally activated my pre3 skipping the standard way and going from wi-fi, also to get access to the US app catalog ) that allowing to activate by connecting to the hp servers (after enabling wifi and co) ensured finalizing some parts of the setup.

That said, I'm relying on my memory... so I can be wrong ( all in all was 3 years ago )
    Now that you wrote, I also remember that the final thing to make Pre 3 work as it should, was (after fully erasing device) to log on to profile for HP servers to do the final setup.
    Maybe it really has something to do with CarrierNetworkSettings, I remember that I had to manualy add carrier information to database on my Pre to CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 and maybe HP servers update the CarrierNetworkSettings when connected.

Will try both options on weekend, test sending SMS messages and report here.
    My coworker is bringing his ex Pre 3 (charging connector issue) for testing purposes tomorrow, so I will test on his device not on my new Pre 3.
    Last edited by Sumy; 12/10/2014 at 04:08 PM.
    I don't remember fully erasing :s

Are you sure that the carrier settings are not included in the doctor (and loaded from it when some action is triggered ) ?

Edit, the carriers are inside the doctor , /etc/carrierdb/carrierdb.json
    Last edited by mazzinia; 12/10/2014 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumy View Post
    Now that you wrote, I also remember that the final thing to make Pre 3 work as it should, was (after fully erasing device) to log on to profile for HP servers to do the final setup.
    From how I tried to activate my phones (Pre+s, Pre2s, Pre3s, Veer) I always had to insert some SIM card (for activation) sending some text message to HP/Palm - I assume.
    Only then I was able to contact the app catalog.

---
    BTW - I still need a activation bypass method for my TouchPads (there is no dial method to escape). I still have brand new TPs sitting in the box without being activated yet. After 15. Jan. 2015 I assume I can not activate the TPs without some doctoring ..
    Hmm, haven't thought about this for the Touchpad.. Might have to add the Touchpad uImage to devicetool.jar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    From how I tried to activate my phones (Pre+s, Pre2s, Pre3s, Veer) I always had to insert some SIM card (for activation) sending some text message to HP/Palm - I assume.
    Only then I was able to contact the app catalog.

---
    BTW - I still need a activation bypass method for my TouchPads (there is no dial method to escape). I still have brand new TPs sitting in the box without being activated yet. After 15. Jan. 2015 I assume I can not activate the TPs without some doctoring ..
    is devicetool.jar not working on a touchpad ? (don't have a tp)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    is devicetool.jar not working on a touchpad ? (don't have a tp)

Devicetool.jar was designed for 1.x phones, as 2.x have a built-in bypass method. Never thought about Touchpad.
    If you add the uImage for all devices to the devicetool.jar it will work for all devices including the Touchpad...

I have a devicetool.jar with uImage(s) Tested and worked for PixiPlus (will work with Pixi as well), PrePlus (will work with Pre as well), Pre2, Pre3, Veer, Touchpad, Touchpad 4G, and Touchpad Go.

There are many thread's in this forum on how to do it... (again waiting for the dust to settle before I post...)

My Thread:DeviceTool.Jar...
    Other's Thread:Activation Bypass for TouchPad
    Last edited by John Steffes; 12/11/2014 at 09:50 AM.
    cbosdell and barryb20 like this.
    Yeah.. I had to modify it for a Veer that had a bad touchscreen. I never thought about adding the uImage for the Touchpad until today. I guess while I'm at it, I'll do the same for the Pre2 and Pre3.
    You could also use Nova Device Installer or create a Meta Doctor to bypass activation.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    probably not advised, but i couldn't wait to get devicetool i just wanted to have everything squared away before the 15th. i found it here:

http://onebluepoint.net/chekz-devicetool.zip

incidentally i tested it on both a pixi plus and a touchpad, worked for both. hope that helps anyone.