Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 3 Post By bdagirl
  1.    #1  
    Originally, from here: MojoWhatsup (a Whatsapp client for webos)

Quote Originally Posted by bdagirl View Post
    Good evening again,
    I need some help again please. I really need my phone back. I can't get in my phone is stock at the hp logo screen. I have tried to doctor it but cannot find the the file. Can someone please help me. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    [...]
    The links to webOS Doctor files are all "broken", but here's a way you can fix it on your own machine

Copy this into the "hosts" file:
    Code:
    23.4.17.24	cdn.downloads.palm.com
    195.22.200.42	downloads.help.palm.com
    140.211.169.161	ipkg.preware.org
    and click "Save". If you're on XP, go back to "Properties" and set the file back to "read-only".

[...and full guide, now depreciated]
    Thank you very much. I was having a challenge copying the hosts file over, it would not let me save as administrator, but I cheated. hope it works. in other words I copied the ip addressess into the note file and then opened a new file as administrator and saved it as the original host. I was able to open the link to the webdoctor and am on my way. So again thank you very much.
    Hi again,
    I really need help. I have been locked out of my phone, and thought I could fix it myself. I cannot doctor my phone. I have tried all the webos doctors and still can't get on. Please can someone provide me with the link I need. I am in Bermuda with a Palm Pre 3, unlocked version. Help.
    Can you please describe the problem in a little more detail? What do you see? What does the error message say?

I'd love to help, but at this point, i'm not sure of how far you're getting before things break...
    Hi Remy,

Thanks for the response. I installed whatsup but it would not open on the phone, so I restarted but got stuck at the HP logo. None of the resets would work so I tried to doctor the phone. Now I am stuck at www.palm.com/rom. The links I am trying either say not compatitble or I get to 12% and disconnects. Is there a special link I need that will work please. Thanks again.
    I think she's downloaded all of them, so now it's a matter of finding out why it gets stuck at 12%. I'll look into it tonight and see if there's a ready-made solution, because i think there's a couple of places the Doctor can get stuck, and a solution for each.

For now, we'll be trying to do a reinstall without wiping her USB drive, so she could get her pictures back, but i'll also see if there's an easy way to back that up out of recovery mode. In that case, she'll be able to do a command line restore with the -auto flag, and if will wipe everything, but most likely install without a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    All these issues appear unrelated to the mojowhatsup app. You better follow up on these issues in a different discusion thread. Thanks.
    I like your thinking. Hopefully the mods will split this off into its own thread
    @bdagirl,

I'm getting ready to help you, in another thread. My workload is lighter today, so hopefully we'll get your phone running in a few hours

Meanwhile, try this: WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!!

So..

Since this may come across as a little technical, i will try to come up with a full step-by-step guide and download links. Stay tuned

Edit: here's Novaterm for x86 (http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip) and for x64 (http://vocshop.com/stuff/novaterm64.zip)

I'll have to set everything up from scratch, having uninstalled the SDK, so i'll be back to test this out in about an hour's time, after i finish up everything that precludes me from rebooting my machine
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/27/2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Originally, from here: MojoWhatsup (a Whatsapp client for webos)

So..

Since this may come across as a little technical, i will try to come up with a full step-by-step guide and download links. Stay tuned

Edit: here's Novaterm for x86 (http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip) and for x64 (http://vocshop.com/stuff/novaterm64.zip)

I'll have to set everything up from scratch, having uninstalled the SDK, so i'll be back to test this out in about an hour's time, after i finish up everything that precludes me from rebooting my machine
    Remy, again thanks for helping me.

I have a question for you. Am I using the command prompt. cause I am not sure about the first instruction. I have a bit of tec knowledge...but confirm how I type this.

I am at command prompt and the directory is user/charlene. can you remind me how to get to c prompt if I need too.,
  3.    #3  
    Ok, i'm here

What you'll need is:

To know if you need x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) Novaterm, go here: JavaScript Kit- Navigator Object, and search for the word "platform", until you find this:

Your browser's navigator Information
    Using some of the above properties, lets display some information about your browser, live:

appCodeName: Mozilla
    appName: Netscape
    appVersion: 5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/### (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/### Safari/###
    userAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/### (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome###Safari/###
    platform: Win32
    If it says "Win32", like mine, it's x86, otherwise it's x64.

Anyway...

Since you see the command line open, type java -jar with a space at the end, and then drag and drop the Doctor file into the command line window. You'll see something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\charlene› java -jar C:\Documents and Settings\charlene\Desktop\webosdoctorp224mantawr.jar

Press enter.

And here come the instructions from the other thread

When the Dr. hangs up at 12% open novaterm and connect to your device

Then type the following command:

dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media

And follow the prompts to correct the fat size to the backup (I believe I chose option 2 and then restore to backup and then 'Y')

Now put your tablet back into recovery mode and re-run WebOS Doctor. The error where it is hanging up should be gone and the system will flash completely.
    Which i've interpreted to mean that you:

Download Novaterm and extract the zip file. You can probably make a folder on your Desktop named Novaterm and just put Novaterm.exe and the other file into it.

When Doctor hangs up at 12%, double-click Novaterm.exe and click "connect".

Then you will have a chance to type the command and press enter. Follow through with the Yes/No prompts. After the process is done, disconnect your phone and then connect it to run the Doctor again.

Best of luck. If there's anything that doesn't work, let me know
    Remy I have a question please. I have to connect my phone so that it can start to run right?
  5.    #5  
    Yes, just as you do when you doctored before...

Put your phone in recovery mode (vol up) and connect
    remy

see attached. not sure what i need to change

charlene
    Attached Files Attached Files
  7.    #7  
    remy

see attached. not sure what i need to change

charlene
    I'll look into this. But please, next time use Paint to make a screenshot, so that we won't have to run around and convert it before we can see what's in it. A .JPG or .PNG picture file would be a lot easier for everyone to open, and can be linked to, directly

Attached Images Attached Images
  8.    #8  
    I see what your problem is

there has to be a space between -r and /
    ok, sorry

I thought word was standard.
  10.    #10  
    ok, sorry

I thought word was standard.
    It's ok

The standard for standalone picture files on the web is JPG and PNG, which allows me to see the picture directly in Chrome, without having to download a Doc viewer or upload the file to Google Docs. So it'a the difference between one click and 10

To use a more real-life equivalent, a JPG or PNG picture is like you giving me a printed photo directly, while a picture wrapped in a .DOC file is like you giving me a memory card from your camera, not something i can view directly. And Word documents can carry malware, so a lot of people are wary of opening them, while picture files are always clean (for the exception of .TIFF files, which someone did manage to hack for a malware-spreading purpose once)
    Preemptive likes this.
    ...and welcome to first class. :-)
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    ...and welcome to first class. :-)
    Hi Remy,

I am writing again to say thanks for your help. I was not able to doctor my phone based on the information provided, but I read the thread and tried the other command which worked.

Therefore, I appreciate all your time and attention.